Tribe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Did anybody else see this excellent programme?

Episode one, the presenter trekked in and lived with a tribe of people called the Adi. And when I say lived I mean lived, he got struck in an got his hands dirty working with them and not just for the camera - you could see there was a real friendship forming between him and the people. On one occasion, after visiting the tribes wizen old medicine women, he saw her working in her field alone and went over and did all her back breaking labour for her, he even carried all her fire wood home (a womens task) and you could see she thought the world of him for it.

He was adopted by the village leader and at the end of the programme when he left to return home his adopted brother and mother were both in floods of tears. Genuine sorrow at his leaving

It has been ages since I have seen a programme of such honest content and calibre.

The tv company were in all likely hood paying the Adi for the privilege of filming them as is the norm with all these types of programmes but what set this apart was the presenter, he didn't stand around lording it like a rich european, he didn't try to make it look like the people liked him and visa versa while hanging on the periphery and keeping his hands clean and his image intact (in fact I had never heard of him) he just respected their ways, did as they did, got dirty and wet with them, went hungry with them and eat what they ate - in essence he became one of them.

And that was the magic, the Adi liked him, he became one of them in mind and spirit.

A truly excellent programme document of a truly happy and honest people.

Brilliant :biggthump

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
it was the first in a new serise hobo.. looks to be a gooden, i was petty annoyed that i only saw the last 15mins...

it was sad to hear him admit that not one of the adi children aspires to stay in the tribe, work in the fields etc.. and electricity is on it way.

Brian

Settler
Nov 6, 2003
Saltburn
Gary,

I did watch it and thought that it was very good, as you say it was nice to see someone make the effort to fit in with them. Not too sure if I would have been too keen on the Rat bread though but at least he tried it along with everything else. Looking forward to next week.

Brian

SquirrelBoy

Nomad
Feb 1, 2004
UK
Great programme, even moved me to shed a tear :cry:

Next week:

Tribe
Suri: For the Suri people of Ethiopia ritualised violence is a way of life through extraordinary stick-fighting festivals. Bruce Parry finds that the dominance of the gun is killing their traditions

Cant wait :biggthump

familne

Dec 20, 2003
Fife
Yeah, I saw it, great programme if a little difficult to watch at times! Not one for the vegetarians :shock:

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
familne said:
Yeah, I saw it, great programme if a little difficult to watch at times! Not one for the vegetarians :shock:

This is true Fraser BUT at least they are showing life how it is and not some rose coloured fashionable version of it.

Personally I think that is what makes the programme so good you can easily see its not staged for the camera, for once a programme not spoilt nor bending the knee to PC madness just an honest portrayal of native life by a guy not affriad to get stuck in with them.

boaty

Nomad
Sep 29, 2003
Bradford, W. Yorks
www.comp.brad.ac.uk
familne said:

:?: I had no qualms watching it - the very best thing I've seen on telly for many a moon

But then, as a kid I used to help slaughter the geese, cull the rats, put countless myxomatosis-infected rabbits out of their misery, etc etc etc

gillmacca

Forager
Sep 14, 2004
Swindon
Next Week:
For the Suri people of Ethiopia, ritualised violence is a way of life through extraordinary stick-fighting festivals, but Bruce finds that the rule of the gun is killing their ancient traditions.

Check the calendar (select what's on) to find out about this/future and other programmes of interest

familne

Dec 20, 2003
Fife
I also found the split between the Christain beliefs of the younger members and the traditional beliefs of the older generation interesting - it didn't seem to create much conflict within the group. Maybe the traditional beliefs will eventually die out?

gillmacca

Forager
Sep 14, 2004
Swindon
familne said:
I also found the split between the Christain beliefs of the younger members and the traditional beliefs of the older generation interesting - it didn't seem to create much conflict within the group. Maybe the traditional beliefs will eventually die out?

Hope not. If traditional beliefs disappear, then so do some traditional skills

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE