Top Ten Medicinal Plants

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I've collected a fair few bits as an extender etc, with varying (poorish results) but never had to use it for first aid.

When is it at it's most usable as a plaster?

Has to be fresh off the tree with pure white and fresh/soft underparts.

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
Has to be fresh off the tree with pure white and fresh/soft underparts.

Hahahahahaa!!!

I've seen them like that farther up the Birch, but I'd more than likely break my neck trying to get to them for use as a plaster.

Will keep that in mind, as many are riddled by insects.

Tracyann

Oct 6, 2010
Scotland
Hi, I use lavender (lavendula angustifolia) I use this a lot and grow it. I dry it out and use it inshampoos as it helps deter headlice for the kids at school. I also use it dried for putting in scented cushions as an insect repellant it does stop moths as well but I mix it with normally bought dried tea tree or eucalyptus. put it in olive oil and let it soak for a week not too much oil, and it is used as a pain reliever, in water as an infusion over bruises and sprains.

basil (ocimum basilicum) use this for flavouring foods, for indigestion just brew it as a tea or eat the leaves. use it when we have colds as it helps with reducing fevers and stomach aches. I put some in vinegar for flavouring, or in oil but use it a lot for cooking I sometimes dry these leaves and mi it with my dried lavender as insect repellant.

pot marigold (calendula officinalis) use the leaves in salad, use it in rice to colour it, dice it up and use it with soft cheese on crackers. it is good for infusing as a tea as well it is a liver tonic and good for those with varicose veins mix it witch hazel (hamamelis virginiana for bedsores and ulcers, I used this when I was breast feeding to help my sore cracked nipples, I did also use cabbage leaves with it.

dandelion (taraxacum officinalis) use this as a tea for a diuretic effect, as the old saying goes it works. it also stimulates bile production and helps with liver problems which I used this with fennel (foeniculum vulgare) and rosemary (rosemarinus officinalis) with my son who was born with hyperbilaruebinemia. after him coming home from hospital after his second visit his liver function was within normal range. Dandelion also makes nice wine. you can pick the roots in autumn and roast it for coffee, I am not very keen on it though.

lady's mantle (alchemilla xanthochlora) I use for cramp and that time of the month I put a few ripped leaves in a teapot pour over hot water and let it infuse for 10 minutes
then just drink it normally hourly no need for pain killers then, this can be used for things like thrush to help reduce itching

stinging nettle (urtica dioica) brew as a tea, make into beer it helps clear your body of toxins and helps reduce blood pressure not as much as medication but can bring it down slightly I use it for my gran a lot for her arthritis crush it up and get as much juice out of it and mix it with a basic hand cream and I use it for insect bites. for cooking I use it like spinach, I chop it up and mix it with omlettes you can make a soup with it, I normally put some cream through it so it is like a cream of spinach soup

bramble (rubus fruticosus) use it as a juice or infusion for sore throats or I normally just make it in to wine or mix it with apples and make pie sauce for ice cream or jam. use it's leaves for making tea with chamomile or rosemary for a change.

rosemary (rosemarinus officinalis) use in a tea as a stimulant , aid for digestion, helps you sweat so using it when I have certain kinds of colds mut the leaves in oil and let it soak and use it for massage for muscles and for arthritis. I normally mix a little of this with a heavier dose of lavender at night so it reduces the stimulant effect and it eases muscles better if it has been a long day, it is also one I use if you have been working out and something recommended to athletes and dancers . I use this in cooking for sauces, for stuffing in some soups and in stews. add a couple of dried leaves in with your shampoo or infuse it in water for hair. DO NOT USE IN TEA WHEN PREGNANT as it is used in some countries to give abortions as it stimulates the uterus.

mint (mentha x piperita) I love this for helping you breathing when you have a cold or chest infection it relieves spasms always use it with deserts either the leaves on their own or through a desert as it helps digestion. as an asthmatic it relieves asthma attacks, or at least the worse of it. took it as tea when pregnant as it helps with sickness if you are travelling long distance a few leaves to chew for travel sickness. I add this with rosemary in hair care for dandruff and dry scalps and it works great. I use this for burns as well as lavender. add this into ice cream with coconut milk and shredded coconut absolutely lovely.

dock leaves/sheeps sorrel (rumex acetosa) I use this for removing rust, for insect bites, for nettle stings, taking mould off of things. for cooking I use it in stuffing for fish, a few chopped leaves in with scrambled egg or finely chopped in a salad.

there are other things I grow and use for different purposes, or other things I go out and pick not always just for food.

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
My Gran used to use lavender in our wardrobes and chests of drawers in wee Aladdin's baskets to keep the Moths away.

The smell of lavender and carbolic soap always reminds me of my childhood.

Cobweb

Native
Aug 30, 2007
South Shropshire
I love plantain for cuts, scrapes and sting - it's also pretty good for burns as well as I found out at the bushmoot :) it's not as good as aloe vera, but unfortunately I forgot to take some this year and I just tried out the plantain on a whim as the burn was absolutely killing and it cooled it down really well!

Tracyann

Oct 6, 2010
Scotland
RASPBERRY LEAF - A tea of these leaves seemed to help swmbo in the late stages of pregnancy

Just want to point out though you should never use raspberry in the early stages of pregnancy, it is final from the 8th month as it helps prepare your uterus using it too early can cause abortion/miscarraige. the same goes with a few of these herbal teas and various oils and herbs. always worth reading up on any you are unsure of or would like to try if you are pregnant. there are also ones to avoid if you are epileptic and have diabetes.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
We have forty lavender bushes that went in this spring in the new cottage. They have trebled in size but are still fairly small (about 6" across). Still got 3 double arm sheaves of lavender flowers this year. My brewhouse where they are drying smells wonderful :D

I am thinking I might just make a lavender beer from one sheaf.......

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Just want to point out though you should never use raspberry in the early stages of pregnancy, it is final from the 8th month as it helps prepare your uterus using it too early can cause abortion/miscarraige. the same goes with a few of these herbal teas and various oils and herbs.....QUOTE]

Tracyann this is in direct conflict with the advice given by the natural childbirth folks. Indeed many of the midwives are quite encouraging of it's use as one of the few herbs safe to be taken right through pregnancy.
The usual disclaimers of course that not all herbs suit all people, but raspberry leaf is pretty sound.

http://www.naturalchildbirth.org/natural/resources/herbal/herbal25.htm
http://www.naturalchildbirth.org/natural/resources/herbal/herbal02.htm

I've been using herbs all my life, and it's really noticeable how within the past four or five years suddenly one ill comment becomes the 'received' knowledge. Yet, if the comment is traced back to it's origins (the earliest date that can be found for the start of the rumour) it's usually some mouthy teenager who hasn't bothered to read up or research properly but simply posted hysterically on a gossip site.
Then in comes the 'voice of authority' , preaching uber caution, with dire warnings of horrendous results, and before we know it, herbs that have been used safely and with caring results for millenia, are suddenly supplanted by the chemicals of the drug companies.
Anyone who does not preach to their uber caution is branded as being not only ignorant but dangerously irresponsible.

I used raspberry leaf right through my pregnancies :) I have a lot of friends who have done so too and not one came amiss.

But then, that's apocryphyl evidence, and if we listened to all that we are told by the sites on the internet then all we would eat or drink would be from Bayer or Boots or somesuch :rolleyes:

If we followed that reasoning through, if potatoes were introduced to the West nowadays they'd be refused entry as a horrendously toxic and invasive species; and heaven alone knows what they'd say about coffee.

Funny old world really :)

Off to deal with the strawberry runners.....another good herbal tea, but suddenly being slated as 'not suitable for home consumption' :rolleyes:

cheers,
Toddy........who is usually the one urging caution :D

Last edited:

Tracyann

Oct 6, 2010
Scotland
Hi there, I have not only done courses on this, but working and earning a living doing aromatherapy and writing about this for the past 15 years.
The reason it is recommended in the later stages is because it does help prepare the uterus for child birth, it does not speed up labour but makes it easier and shortens the second stage of labour. it is recommended from the 32 week onwards. Some brands of tea are recommended from the 36 week onward due to it being slightly stronger.
You said these things come from gossip from some mouthy teenager, telling people go ahead when advice goes against it is worse. Just because you had it and were fine does not mean everyone else will be.
The following sites will give you a few different places to look at and learn more about what you are saying.
http://www.askbaby.com/raspberry-leaf-tea.htm try there for some advise also, here is another one http://www.babycentre.co.uk/pregnan...gyourbabysbirth/raspberryteaeaselabourexpert/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_raspberry_leaf

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
This is exactly the kind of thing I was talking about.

I too have been active for a very long time :D and aromatherapy is a relatively new concept, while the use of inforced oils is very ancient.

Raspberry leaf is traditionally one of the benign calmers. That's it, it eases the mind, the spirit and the body, and allows the body to function as it ought. It eases the mind because of belief, it eases the spirit because it is known to be a good thing, and it's very gentle on the body.

Suddenly that belief ( herbs have many actions, some of them are purely how they are perceived) is being subverted with no proof, no research, just someone says, and it's someone says who quotes someone else who has said........and at its roots is nothing positive.

If enough contra indications are poured out in scorn of something, it becomes like our knowledge of fungi in this country, something too difficult to be understood by most and folks vere away from it's use believing it too harmful to be of genuine value.

Back to the strawberries, got caught up modding a spammer :rolleyes:

cheers,
Toddy

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
These citings might be useful to put the use of raspberry leaf tea into context

Stacelynn Caughlan said:
First recorded in the 1500’s, red raspberry leaf tea (Rubus ideas) has been used for centuries in Europe, China, and both North and South America. This popular tea has earned the reputation of "herb-supreme" amongst pregnant women. According to folklore it can relieve almost any discomfort of pregnancy from morning sickness to leg cramps. And there may be good reason for its reputation.

Red raspberry leaf tea is very high in an assortment of nutrients including calcium, iron, and B vitamins, all of which are very important during pregnancy. The herb also contains a variety of chemicals -most of which have yet to be identified- that produce a direct effect on the pregnant uterus. They have been shown to strengthen the uterine wall, relax smooth muscle, and help to make delivery easier and speedier by helping the uterus contract more efficiently.

Historically women have taken raspberry leaf tea throughout their pregnancies up to and including childbirth. Many mothers extol this herb's ability to make childbirth easier and less painful. In a letter to the editor of the medical journal The Lancet, Dr. Violet Russel wrote "somewhat shamefacedly I have encouraged expectant mothers to drink this infusion. In a great many cases labour has been free and easy from muscular spasm."

Some women also drink the tea throughout their labour, or suck on frozen cubes made beforehand. It reportedly helps expel the placenta, and its nutritional value is thought to be responsible for encouraging and enriching the mother's breastmilk. Many women continue to drink the tea long after childbirth as it is thought to help restore the reproductive system and continue to help nourish the new mother.

Studies have not yet been done to give us statistical data on the use of raspberry leaf tea, but as more women and health professionals discover its potential, its popularity will surely continue to grow. This is one herb that all pregnant women should have in their cupboards!

NOTE: Some medical and popular media make reference to raspberry leaf tea as something to avoid during pregnancy for risk of miscarriage. This notion stems from a study conducted in 1954 where fractions were isolated from Rubus sp. and applied in vitro to the uterine tissues of guinea pigs and frogs. The scientists discovered such things as one fraction acted as a spasmolytic whereas another caused uterine contractions. Herein lies the risk of isolating the parts of a whole. When used as a whole plant, neither action is exacerbated and the herb is deemed safe. If a mother is prone to miscarriages she may feel safer avoiding raspberry until the third trimester. This is an herb with centuries of safe use behind it, there is usually little cause for concern.

References
C.J. Briggs and K. Briggs, Canadian Pharmaceutical Journal, April 1997
Rosemary Gladstar, Herbal Healing for Women, Fireside, 1993
Richard Mabey, The New Age Herbalist, Gaia Books, 1988
Susun S. Weed, Wise Woman Herbal for the Childbearing Year, Ash tree Publishing, 1986
Joy Gardner, Healing Yourself During Pregnancy, The Crossing Press, 1987

Stacelynn Caughlan is a Clinical Nutritionist and Certified Herbalist who specializes in Prenatal and Pediatric Health.

I hope that helps a little

Red

Rumi

Forager
A quick note on Raspberry leaves. The academic recommendations are after the 3rd month 1 cup of infused per day, increased if desired to 2 cups after 6months and continued post partem.

I checked this with my wife who is a practicing fully trained medical herbalist who attends births. She also recp recommends bathing in a bath with calendula in post partem as an aid to healing and reduction of post partem infection.

Tracyann

Oct 6, 2010
Scotland
Thanks for that it is interesting I work with doctors and midwives, and anything that stimulates the uterus is best avoided in early pregnancy, there was another study done in 2003 and there is a slightly higher rate of miscarraige, also you were more likely to spot bleed hence the reason we are told not to recommend during the first 2 trimesters. that was done with through bma and midirs, so I was trained to say not to use until later pregnancy as do the midwives I work with. same goes for things like clove oil, using that when in labour is hardly ever heard of but it is fafntastic for pain relief helps the labour go quicker and makes the afterbirth easier. That is another not to use through the first couple of stages of pregnancy.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I would like to see the 2003 references if you can find them please.

Clove oil ? No I wouldn't use it.

I think we have to agree to disagree.

cheers,
Toddy

Opal

Native
Dec 26, 2008
Liverpool
Always Clove oil in my bag, been a Godsend in the past, me tooth, not pregnancy, been, a few years since I used it tho'. :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Try chewing a wee bit of meadowsweet root, it'll work just as well :cool: and it grows here too :approve:

Seriously, clove oil is good for the toothaches, so is pinetar, so is bittersweet...........and they are all not advised these days.

Funny old thing herbs and their kin.

cheers,
M

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Ok , a bit of a bump to an old ( but good ) thread to see if anyone else can add anything new to it.

Ref Yarrow , Does anyone know if the root has any useful medicinal properties?

sandsnakes

Life Member
May 22, 2006
West London
While not a native cinnamon. Its considered a cure all in the East. Known anti-viral and bacterial affect. works well with charcoal if you have a gut bug in the wilds.

Several studies show that cinnamon may have a regulatory effect on blood sugar, making it especially beneficial for people with diabetic conditions.

In some studies, cinnamon has shown an amazing ability to stop medication-resistant yeast infections.
In a study published by researchers at the U.S. Department of Agriculture in Maryland, cinnamon reduced the proliferation of leukemia and lymphoma cancer cells.
It has an anti-clotting effect on the blood.
In a study at Copenhagen University, patients given half a teaspoon of cinnamon powder combined with one tablespoon of honey every morning before breakfast had significant relief in arthritis pain after one week and could walk without pain within one month.
When added to food, it inhibits bacterial growth and food spoilage, making it a natural food preservative.

Also a pretty good sweetener with none of the sugar issues.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Interesting stuff! Thanks for posting. I have heard and read some iof the studies detailing Cinnamon and Diabetes.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE