Top Ten Edible Plants

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

StigOfTheDump

Tenderfoot
Jan 26, 2007
Galloway
My top 10 would be
Hazel nuts, (if the squirrels eat them then eat the squirrels).
Silver-weed (somewhat fiddly, but is a source of carbs, traditional famine food).
Sea Kale (Roots, another starchy carb plant).
Nettles (An excellent spring tonic vitamin and mineral booster, according to Mears, Wild food they contain up to 20% protein in the dried leaf and 2% fat)
Chick weed (Yum, very common all year round, my favourite)
Brambles (A road side plant that will help you stay on the move)
Field Mushrooms (common, good for frying and stews).
Wild strawberry's (i know an old quarry where i can pick hundreds).
Wild radish (the green seed capsules)
Sea Sandwort (whole green stems before they flower).
Fat hen (Seeds for flour).

I picked these mainly because i can find them all on the shore in front of my house, apart from the Wild Strawberry's that is.
Another food challenge might be wild plants for flavouring, in which case i would go for:

Wild thyme
Water Mint
Black Mustard
Ramsons
Wood sorrel or Common or Sheep's sorrel.

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
Fat hen's edible?

If I'd known that I'd have used it in a salad - I weeded tons of it from the fields this Summer...

Drat!

IntrepidStu

Settler
Apr 14, 2008
Manchester
Ooooh yes please mary...Dont know where ill grow then though, local woods maybe ?
It's a weed around here. I grows along side every burn or wet ditch.......and my garden ponds

If you'd like a bit of root to plant up , let me know and I'll dig you out some. I've got flourish dried too.
It's not a food plant though, it's a medicinal herb and sometimes an additive to wines and beers.

cheers,
M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
No bother :)
If you can find a wet fence line or damp bit in your garden, it'll be quite happy.
In really good conditions it can flower at nearly six feet high, but lots of places it's just eighteen inches to two feet.

I'll be tidying out beside the pond sometime in the next couple of weeks and I'll dig up a bit for you.

cheers,
M

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
Hmm,
Apples
Rosehips
Ramsons
Blackberry
Hawthorn (early leaves)
Field Mushrooms
Cherries
Hazelnuts (roasted are best)

i've not had much experience with wild edibles tbh other then mushrooms, yet to try reed mace actually! but its coming along :D

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Are we ruling out fungi ? - they're not plants but they're not animals either :
Chanterelle
Cep
Hedgehog (fungus)

NS

Hi NS, I was going to start another Top Ten of Fungi later on , I think the main requirement for that list would be eas of identification , but thats just my ithoughts on it.

Feel free to start a Top Ten Funghi list . Im planning to eventually go back through these list and add some links to resource ideas and phot's , if you wanted to do that for Funghi that would be appreciated.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
As mentioned if you want to start a new thread on Fungi , it would seperate the threads and be easy to access.
It would also be appreciated by myself as I have limited 'hands-on' advice with regards to Fungi, sure I can quote books and make links but sometimes books are wrong and links can have too much non-essential information , rather get a list from someone who 'knows it' as just being educated about it.
Cheers.

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
As mentioned if you want to start a new thread on Fungi , it would seperate the threads and be easy to access.
It would also be appreciated by myself as I have limited 'hands-on' advice with regards to Fungi, sure I can quote books and make links but sometimes books are wrong and links can have too much non-essential information , rather get a list from someone who 'knows it' as just being educated about it.
Cheers.

I think I'll wait for somebody else to start that thread...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE