Titanium, should i, shouldn't i

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Just took delivery of the Evernew Titanium cookset from backpackinglight http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/product499.asp?PageID=100 ,

For a pan, got to say I was really impressed, I never thought one could be impressed by a pan. It's light, has a decent sized cup compared to the alternatives which are frying pans big enough just for an egg. Perfect size to fit in gas cartridge, lighter and the optimus crux.

A little expensive but after packing a coleman dual fuel stove, ally pan set (which only one pan was used) and then being exhausted carrying it in the lakes while bivvying, the saving in weight/size should be well worth it.

The service from backpackinglight was also top notch, even through in a bag of skittles. Much better service than outdoorgb who I canceled the order with after 7 days when it was quoted 2 days delivery.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I use either a AGG 3 cup Aly pan. It is a wide and low pot weighing 98g with lid bought from Winwoods back when they had a shop. I also use a Vargo Ti-lite at about 120g (mine weighs that it should be 130g). A Nalgene wide mouthed flask fits snugly into it with the lid below the mesh net bag seals snuggly around the top of the flask making a neat and compact unit.

I don't use the nalgene flask so which pot I take depends on which is best for the use in hand. I use the Aly pot with my whitebox stove as the wide flame matches the wide pot. I use the Ti pot/mug with my micron as it fits that better partly due to narrow flame. I have to take a light plastic mug and pot grip with my AGG aly pot though so it ends up weighing as much as my Ti pot or even heavier.

Anyway, Ti is a lighter metal than Alyy for its weight however you can get lighter aly pots. If I used a cloth instead of a pot grip and made a lightere lid the AGG pot would be a lot lighter. As it is the pot and mug is about 4g heavier than the Ti pot on its own. Weight is not a reason for me to choose one of these pots over another.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
My view on the different makes is as followw:-

MSR - overpriced but well made
Vargo - cheap and serviceable. It comes supplied as if it is just out of the manufacturing process. Mine came heavily coated on the inside with the oil and dust as a result of the production. It would not come clean until I filled it right up to 1cm off the top and put it on my hob at home. I left it and forgot about it only coming back once the water had almost boiled away. Still it got the debris cleaned up although there was a tide mark up to thee water level.
Evernew - uses better manufacturing to make a superior Ti pot.
Tibetan - similar to Vargo but slightly better I think
There might be other ones too. I personally like the Japanese Primus Ti pot and stove as it makes a neaat and light kit. I think it is a licenced name from Primus Sweden. It is very expensive though.

Anyway shop around you can always get Ti cheap somewhere. Alpkit and Vargo Ti-lite are very similar.

Winwoods and Outdoor Warehouse are too good shops that started to sell UL stuff rather early in the game for the UK. Shame Winwoods had to close their store as it had a neat UL corner. Outdoor Warehouse are excellent both in the shop and online. Service is good. I must admit to going there too often. I also feel guilty if I go there and haven't bought owt for a few visits so every 3rd or 4th visit I end up walking out with something else. IT can be a gas can or Ti pegs or a new fleece. I really need to toughen up and save my money for purchases I actuaally need. I do find it hard though.

bilmo-p5

Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
... the alternatives which are frying pans big enough just for an egg.

I always used to be very sceptical about those tiny frying pans until it dawned on me that that was the idea; coupla rashers, chuck in a chucky and the result just nicely fills a butty...

DSCN4519a.jpg

DSCN4520a.jpg

DSCN4523a.jpg

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
Well finally ordered the snowpeak 700. Good enough size for what i want and cheap to begin with.
WHat is it about bloody eggs for the various pan lids!! Thats all i heard and read about in reviews of the numerous Ti pots and pans - "The lid is an ideal size for an egg"

And again, no more bloody aly billys etc etc blah blah blah, this is a Ti thread

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
Welcome to the slippery slope Nat, I think I'm up to around a dozen pieces now.

Shush Rich, i've got a collection of Aly that needs replacing, and already looking at some more. Might have to go for hte Evernew Solo set with the mug.
Figured the 700 was a good sized to go for at first, rat pack sized and enough room for a teabag :lmao:

woodtramp

Sep 5, 2010
North Dakota
MSRcook-1.jpg

I like my Stainless bullet proof and does not burn food as easy......but cast iron is my fetish

catiron.jpg

But the kid in me loves Titanium for the Dude that's cool stuff" factor.

P1010403.jpg

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
Well i finally used my swno peak 700 on a honey stove i got from Sapper1, worked a treat and smelt good. Went to clean the titanium pot and only managed to get a mediocre amount of blacking off it, and i scrubbed hard. Is this the norm for ti pots and cups?

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
Depends what you were burning,My pots seem to clean up O.K. but I've only use meths so far.There is some staining that won't shift but when it's burnt on it does tend to be difficult to remove.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
I can't praise Evernew Ti stuff enough, before the money/trade goods/goodwill ran out I had mates in the US send me it and if you can thats the place to get it from.

allEvernew.jpg

I always have a good look at any Ti I com across in the shops and so far I've never regreted going to the effort of getting Evernew. Saying that I thing the walled mugs Snowpeak do are better than the Evernew one. If they made a propper vacuum stein lid on the 600 it would be perfect for continuing the cooking after bringing to the boil in another pot (which I'd refil to heat up a drink)

ATB

Tom

(PS Orange one is Aly, the better for stewing)

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
I have cleaned some really badly burnt steel pots with bicarbonate of soda,may be woth a try.

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
I am a Ti junkie so I'm biased. But i got a Life venture Titanium mug in Blacks (Bristol) yesterday for £9.50 reduced from £17. Two left on the shelf of your interested.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE