Titanium, should i, shouldn't i

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
I don't think there is a 'best Al mug to get'. What's best for me may well not suit you. It all depends on what you want out of your cookset. (take that either or both ways).

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
So whats the script, is Ti just fashionable compared to Al? If it's that much worse at even heat distribution why is it so popular - its' not much lighter than aluminium and much more expensive.

That's the advantage with the mugs. You can boil water direct in the mug and the rim is cool enough to drink from within seconds.

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
As far as I can see, unless you're going in for some serious gram-weenyism (and even then the advantages may be doubtful), it's a big pose-job, although I suppose if you're saving a few grams on your cook-kit it gives you a few to squander on something else.

I suppose it could be seen as a big pose to those who don't like it.
The reason I use it is because it's lighter when used for a stove,lighter and easier to use as well as being multi use when used for a mug,lighter ,stronger and better to use for boiling when used for pots.It's crap for frying pands though.I also have Ti tent pegs.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I did post a graph on different metals but can't find the bloody thing, anyway as said Titanium just does not spread the heat so you get hot spots and possibly burnt food. Cast iron is better as is stainless steel (especially the SS with copper laminate bottoms) then Aluminium which is by far the best. So on a personal level Titanium holds no attraction for me as saving a few grammes is not in the equation for my camping style although I suppose it helps if your lugging about quilt underblankets etc.

....I suppose it helps if your lugging about quilt underblankets etc.

Or lugging the belly, as so many of us are.
Does make me wonder about the point of saving a few 100g's with expensive ti gear when people (myself included), could lighten their load by quite a few whole kg's for free just by loosing a little body mass.
(Don't mean to preach, but just right now resisting hard whilst wife and son eat loads of sweets in front of me!)

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
This is why I'm lightening my kit,I'm carrying enough around my waist and the less I carry on my back the better.

I have 2 different gas stoves and I find that one is only any use for boiling water with stainless or titanium pots as the flame is too fierce and localised. However it does bring things to the boils very quickly for a quick brew. If I use a copper bottomed stainless pan I can fry up some sausages an bacon in it if I am careful. The other stove has a much more gentle flame and much slower to boil water however it is the one to use if I want to cook something. the are both made by coleman. The fierce one is a Coleman F1 Lite Gas Stove. The gentle one is a older cheaper general purpose sort of camping stove takes an age to boil up but is fine for simmering/frying etc.

Or lugging the belly, as so many of us are.
Does make me wonder about the point of saving a few 100g's with expensive ti gear when people (myself included), could lighten their load by quite a few whole kg's for free just by loosing a little body mass.
(Don't mean to preach, but just right now resisting hard whilst wife and son eat loads of sweets in front of me!)

So true. I'm forever looking to shave a few grams off the weight of my kit and often think I could actually lose the weight of my whole pack if I stopped being a salad dodger!

Twodogs

Nov 16, 2008
West Midland
www.facebook.com
So looking at it Titaniums fine for wet cooking , brews , pasta , but your asking a bit much of it for frying is something like a trangia non stick fry pan the way to go then even though it a bit of extra weight?

Has anyone tried the evernew non-stick fry pan yet?

Twodogs

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
I guess non-stick and titanium (just as with steel) would be the ideal solution...

Alot of it boils down to (sorry LoL) how you actually cook things! If you plonk anything over heat, eventually it will catch, but by adding a little squirt of olive oil (rapeseed/palm ect) you are reducing the chance of the flesh sticking before the meat starts to produce its own oils, if you are talking frying or fry-up's.

A few drops of oil also helps dissapate the heat around the pan if it does suffer from hot-spots.

Sadly, my Ti pan is currently in an unused state, as i've yet to come across a leprechaun that fancys a good 'ol fry up :)

Evenew do the whole range of NS pot sets now, be something to consider in the future, but i've had no problems as-yet.

Regards, TBL.

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
I always used to be very sceptical about those tiny frying pans until it dawned on me that that was the idea; coupla rashers, chuck in a chucky and the result just nicely fills a butty...

DSCN4519a.jpg

DSCN4520a.jpg

DSCN4523a.jpg

You score 10 out of 10 for an inspiring post - I want to eat that sarnie RIGHT NOW!
That looks bloody gorgeous

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
I just bought a new frying pan as the one I had was rubbish.
I went for the OPTIMUS TERRA FRYPAN as seen here
http://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/optimus_frypan.html
It's a very good pan it weighs in at 150g as opposed to the Ti one which came in at 75g Half the weight,but the extra weight is not a problem seeing as it works.
I tested it by dry frying 2 eggs which it did to perfection,then I dry fried some bacon,again it cooks perfectly.
I also bought from ebay a spork and spatula set to use with the non stick pan as the metalware would scratch it.
This is the set I bought
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....089955&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_500wt_1156

A nice little set that clips together and doesn't scratch the pan,they have a safe working temperature of 450 degrees.Plenty for my cooking.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Nice looking pan Chris. I don't like Ti for a frying pan because they're usually too thin and far too hot to be able to cook without burning stuff. I had one similar to the plate your selling but with a handle, it was a nightmare so I got rid. I've gone back to my old MSR Blacklite set which has a really nice sized frying pan with it.

Also bought cast iron skillet the other day for canoe trips, must weigh 2kg
thumbup1.gif

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
2Kg:yikes: I don't think I carry anything that weighs that much.
I found the same problem as you with the Ti frying pan,just couldn't cook anything without burning.Eggs would be burnt black in one part and raw in the rest.Aluminium is the way to go with frying pans.

Twodogs

Nov 16, 2008
West Midland
www.facebook.com
Nice one Chris I watched this titanium frying pan thread with interest after a lot of looking about I went with a Trangia 27 non stick frying pan as I know it works, to save a bit of weight I could of used the fry pan from a Trangia mini set but its a bit small really .

On CCS someone posted using a cooking set from a childrens play set in a Trangia set up having used it for a while now it works for me, only use the tongs and spatuler but the size is right .

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/80130168

Twodogs

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
I tried all ways of cooking with it ,Cliff, but nothing works.I'm happy with the aluminium one and the weight is nothing to worry about,it weighs the same as a couple of swigs of water.I think we have to keep lightweight stuff in a real perspective.

What is CCS?

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
I've used my nonstick Evernew frying pan a few times (not as much as I thought I would as frying food always leaves me splattered so I tend to avoid it now, also I'm a lard **** and am trying to lose weight) and never had any problem with it burning stuff as I use oil and habitually keep the food moving with the spatula anyway the stoves I take are controllable and simmer well, which helps.

I did have problems with the normal Ti nonstick pans burning stews etc if I didn't keep stiring but since the vast majority of the time I'm just using small ones for boiling water( as for me athe whole point of them is going light weight and using foods that are also light weight like noodles) or just bringing precooked (IE tinned) up to eating tempreture its not a issue now I'm aware of it. If I am going to be stewing, slow cooking etc I take a different sort of pan just as I would if I was going to be cooking directly over a wood fire.

As with most things it's selecting the right tool for the job and having the right technique for using it.

ATB

Tom

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE