Light weight wood stove for bbq/campfire/stewing etc

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tallywhacker

Forager
Aug 3, 2013
United Kingdom
Hi

I am getting ready for my young lad joining me camping, all my gear is based around solo wandering. I have been looking at wood stoves as there will be too much hassle brewing and cooking from a meths stove.

I am after something lightweight since it will be me carrying everything weighty, so i really want titanium as it makes all the difference on items like this. I also want to avoid american engineering, in my experience it is very over rated. I probably want to get a couple of smaller pots on at a time to leave the meths stove free to make brews. It would also be great to have a base for camp fires. The biggest pot i use is 14cm diameter, the smallest 9cm. BBQ wise it would be nice to get burgers for 2-3 people on, then it has a use for car / group camping too. I have found a few, but i don't think i am quite happy with any of them:

Wild woodgas stove:
cons: heavy, one pot cooking only, no bbq function.
pros: cheap.

Solo stove:
cons: heavy, one pot cooking only, no bbq function.
pros: cheap.

Bush box XL [titanium]:
cons: very heavy for titanium, bbq area perhaps too small for 2+, perhaps only one pot cooking.
pros: fair price, durable, light, compact.

Firebox [titanium]
cons: no bbq potential, made in the USA, one pot cooking only, have seen very bad workmanship on them.
pros: lightweight

Honey stove with hive expansion [titanium]:
cons: irregular shape, bbq area perhaps too small for 2+, perhaps only one pot cooking.
pros: compact, lightweight

Vargo fire box grill model t-443 [titanium]:
cons: perhaps too unstable, small, one pot cooking.
unsure: bbq area may or may not be decent since it is square; it is shallow so it is probably better at bbq than cooking.
pros: compact, lightweight

I would say they are all durable enough for me, so that is not a concern. Usability and excessive weight are (i don't mean the odd gram, but with stoves it is a case of hundreds of grams between models) so a need a balance of weight/usability. I don't know if the taller ones will stand up to being used as a camp fire so that is something else i need to think about....

After a few days searching i think i am leaning towards a square wood burner as it seems to make more sense for stability and getting pots/bbq on there. I cannot find a decent sized titanium box stove though that has a sensible weight, that bushbox with thinner plate would have been about right [if a bit smaller than hoped]. If i had to choose right now it would be either the vargo box grill or honey/hive stove [fiddle factor is no issue at all] but i think buyers remorse would follow.

I am hoping for recommendation, things to consider for intended use, criticism etc. I have never had a true wood burner so i am am very unsure about whether i am expecting more than is possible. Traditionally i used camp fires with a grill and pot chains, cleaning up in the morning.

Cheers

Last edited:

StJon

Nomad
May 25, 2006
Largs
I got a folding firebox from Norway, light weight, folds flat, can BBQ, fire, take meth burners (two in a tray from my smoker), can take two pots or one big steak...

Last edited:

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
I've made quite a few, & enjoy making them, but currently all my tools are in storage. Take a visit to a few garden centres, they often have cheap bbq's for sale at this time of year. I picked up one that folds flat for a fiver !.

Rob

tallywhacker

Forager
Aug 3, 2013
United Kingdom
I got a folding firebox from Norway, light weight, folds flat, can BBQ, fire, take meth burners (two in a tray from my smoker), can take two pots or one big steak...

Is that the Petromax fb2 Firebox Stove? I can't find any others that look similar with all the mini folding firebox's [the usa made square ones coined the name firebox as a brand] saturating the market.

I've made quite a few, & enjoy making them, but currently all my tools are in storage. Take a visit to a few garden centres, they often have cheap bbq's for sale at this time of year. I picked up one that folds flat for a fiver !.

Rob

I will keep that in mind for a larger car camp style option [re garden centres]. I had thought about making one since i used to be a coachbuilder, i am used to sheet steel, but titanium is something i don't have the first clue how to engineer.. I guess it would take rivets but does it take, say a pressed spot weld [or even a mig imitation spot weld] or is tig needed? I will have a limit on gear i can access. Can it be cut with a thin composite disk / snips?

reckon a firebox would see you right, enough space to barbie on

someone on song of the paddle made titanium ones

http://canoepaddler.me.uk/Products.php

Now these look promising... I think i am going to have to get in touch with them for more details on the yukon and nomad titanium models. The 2 pan models seem to fit the bill. Cheers for the link. Anyone you know tried one?

I found the thread where the maker of the honey stove is also designing a firebox so i will wait to see what comes of that since i am in no rush. These suggestions are good though, i think i might just find something that is not a compromise after all! Thanks for the suggestions.

Last edited:

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
I have been looking at wood stoves as there will be too much hassle brewing and cooking from a meths stove.

I think you have that the wrong way round. Make or buy a 2nd meths stove and you'll have about as simple and hassle-free cooksystem as you can get.

tallywhacker

Forager
Aug 3, 2013
United Kingdom
I think you have that the wrong way round. Make or buy a 2nd meths stove and you'll have about as simple and hassle-free cooksystem as you can get.

I see where you are coming from, although..

"I probably want to get a couple of smaller pots on at a time to leave the meths stove free to make brews. It would also be great to have a base for camp fires. [...] BBQ wise it would be nice to get burgers for 2-3 people on"

That would take three meths stoves (two for cooking and one for the brew),plus pot stands and/or wind breaks for each. There would still be no fire, part of the romance of camping for a kid. No bbq facility either. An aside note on that is with three trangias on the go that is triple the risk of my kid kicking over a tub of burning fuel, a firebox is fairly sturdy.

If it was just me, or me and my kid on a long walk where i can get away with a fire you are right and i appreciate the suggestion, that is a good move; but i have twin pot cooking well covered with an evernew dx stove + trivet. :)

A double pot fire stove with my dx stove fits the bill perfectly for the intended use.

Last edited:

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
When I finaly get moved & my stuff comes out of storage, I can send you a prototype folding one that I made, it just slots together, & with you skills you should be able to improve on it.

wandering1

Nomad
Aug 21, 2014
Staffordshire
Like Bilmo said
You got that wrong way round. If you base your cooking kit on relying on a Woodstove your setting yourself upto to fail disastrously with a wood stove you need a good supply of burnable wood so you either have to hump bags of splits around, which is heavy and consumes lots of space or you collect twigs etc at you chosen campsite some of which will be damp from dew or soaked from rainfall not to mention trying.to light it

Whereas with a pair of meth stove its a case of set em up get your meths bottle.out.and your.away 10 minutes and brews up

Hi

I am getting ready for my young lad joining me camping, all my gear is based around solo wandering. I have been looking at wood stoves as there will be too much hassle brewing and cooking from a meths stove.

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
Brew from meths every time, or even some of the gel fuels out now. But a stew for two made over a wood stove will leave lasting memories for the Lad.....

wandering1

Nomad
Aug 21, 2014
Staffordshire
I've seen them gel fuels around a few times but not used any yet.... I tend to have a solid fuel backup (the metal folding.ones )

Brew from meths every time, or even some of the gel fuels out now. But a stew for two made over a wood stove will leave lasting memories for the Lad.....[/QUOT

A wood stove will leave lasting memories. ( wood ash in stew is great and chewy )

Last edited:

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
I have used the Wilkinsons gel to great effect. £5.00 a litre and you dont use much more than meths liquid.

Ash ... stew ... LID enough said ( joke)

StJon

Nomad
May 25, 2006
Largs
Is that the Petromax fb2 Firebox Stove? I can't find any others that look similar with all the mini folding firebox's [the usa made square ones coined the name firebox as a brand] saturating the market.

Sorry mate, been away for a while. Think it's Russian as has Cyrillic script on the carry case.

wandering1

Nomad
Aug 21, 2014
Staffordshire
Having a lid does kinda help

I tend to to use those barbecue firelighter blocks I do have a meths burner but don't use it that often always worried I'll wake up and find meths all over everything. ( not good with the morning ciggy )

I have used the Wilkinson gel to great effect. £5.00 a litre and you dont use much more than meths liquid.

Ash ... stew ... LID enough said ( joke)

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE