Titanium, should i, shouldn't i

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
Seen alot of people with various Titanium pots, cooksets etc.
I've been using either the Blacks Solo or Gelert Ascent aly pots for a while now but was wondering about the benefits of switching to Titanium.
Is it worth the expense or just a lot of groovy looking pots :confused:

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Only you can decide that.
They certainly are lighter (but I've never found an ally one - or stainless one for that matter - particularly cumbersome), but they occupy the same amount of space, so no saving there.
If you can afford to, and can justify, spending that amount of money on a pot, then go for it! It's your money.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I say go for it, but then I would ;)

Ditto that. Light and tough. I only have a spork, cup and a can, but they do everything for me and that's the only cook set I've ever needed coupled with my bushbuddy. Bushbuddy fits in can and packs down small enough to be unobtrusive in the smallest pack.

DSC07113.jpg

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
Only you can decide that.
They certainly are lighter (but I've never found an ally one - or stainless one for that matter - particularly cumbersome), but they occupy the same amount of space, so no saving there.
If you can afford to, and can justify, spending that amount of money on a pot, then go for it! It's your money.

Oh aye indeed. I was wondering what the difference was and why people picked them. I'm sorely tempted just to have something "guuchi" and nice instead of battered old aly pots.

Shweie: I'm not surprised lol.

Taken by the Evernew Solo cookset and SNowpeak Solo at the moment.

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
Well I use both.I use the titanium for day and weekends when I'm walking and the heavier aluminium ones (heavier by about 10g) for base camping.
The titanium one is lighter but you don't really notice it,it cools quicker than aluminium so you can drink hot drinks that much quicker(about 2-3 minutes quicker).
So for something that can cost 10 times the price of aluminium you're not gaining any real advantage.
If you lose a £10 aluminium pot it's no big deal compared to losing a £50 titanium pot,by lose I mean lose or have crushed or broken.
If you're using it regularly and it's going to be knocked about I'd go for aluminium as it's cheaper to replace.
The reason I got the titanium was for the weight saving,I have all my metalware in titanium now apart from my honey stove and tatonka burner,all my gear now is extremely light but hard wearing,unfortunately it's also very expensive.
If you really want to save weight then you should look at your bergan,basha,dossbag and bivi.
If you want pots that are light , hardwearing and cheap to replace I'd go for aluminium every time.

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
I was actually looking at something that i would use more on hikes and treks and wild camping. Got my jetboil for "squaddie use" :lmao:
I've looked at both sites and both are rather tempting! I like the TIbetan gear.

malente

Life member
Jan 14, 2007
Germany
Oh yes! For backpacking it's great IMHO. I have a small pot with lid, an insulated mug and a spork. Hi-tec, not traditional, and expensive, but I love it. I never regretted buying it.

Alu has the disadvantage of getting dents and stuff, steel/iron is heavy compared to it.

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
I was actually looking at something that i would use more on hikes and treks and wild camping. Got my jetboil for "squaddie use" :lmao:
I've looked at both sites and both are rather tempting! I like the TIbetan gear.

If it's for civi use then definitely go for titanium.
My day sack for a whole day,including food but not water now weighs less than 3lbs ,Thats including the honey stove that weighs just over a pound with a full burner.

The tibetian gear is very good and cheaper than MSR and others.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK

It's the Tibetan stuff that I've got. Used regularly for three years now and apart from being black are as good as the day I bought them. The mug is great as I can boil my bevvie in the fire and the rim is still cool enough to not burn your lips after only a few seconds. The handle stays coolish too even in the hottest of fires.

1920Jun201050.jpg

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
For a great titanium cup(MSR clone) check out Lurch's site for the lifeventure titanium cup,it's what I have and it holds 450ml which is plenty for me.And it's less than £20.

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
Shall we have a "my gear is lighter and more expensive than yours comp(with pictures)?":rolleyes:
That should get some going about kit queens and eliteism.:yikes:

Sep 17, 2010
UK
Hi, I'm new to Bushcraftuk, just joined a few minutes ago. I do a bit of canoeing and wild camping etc and for a number of years been using a nesting set of 3 stainless pans. They were dead cheap and cheerful ,but have been great to use. They always come clean with a bit of fine grit and water and the weight is not an issue when canoeing. I looked at titanium recently with a view to changing, but I don't think there are any benefits to me, so I'll stick with my trusty old stainless tubs and a spoon. Don't know if this is is relevant, but I try to be minimilst in terms of cost and kit and think that what I have fits.
U-can-U

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Shall we have a "my gear is lighter and more expensive than yours comp(with pictures)?":rolleyes:
That should get some going about kit queens and eliteism.:yikes:

Oi, just pointing out what I love about 'em, which is what the OP was asking for. They are the only cooking pots I own and pictures tell a thousand words. Has nothing to do with cost, elitism or having loads of kit. I originallly bought it purely because the bushbuddy fit perfectly into it, was actually nothing to do with the material or weight, or even cost. The mug I got free as they shipped me a broken bushbuddy.... twice.

Last edited:

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
:joke:
Oi, just pointing out what I love about 'em, which is what the OP was asking for. They are the only cooking pots I own and pictures tell a thousand words. Has nothing to do with cost, elitism or having loads of kit. I originallly bought it purely because the bushbuddy fit perfectly into it, was actually nothing to do with the material or weight, or even cost. The mug I got free as they shipped me a broken bushbuddy.... twice.

OOOOOOH!
I wasn't having a dig,I was being serious.
There's no bigger lightweight freak than me,it comes from being too lazy to carry a heavy pack.
Seriuosly though each to his own,what works for one isn't always the best for others,I've never criticised anyone for the kit they own.

(mine is lighter and more expensive than yours,so there):joke:

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
And again with nesting cans. I've got a set, never used and sitting in a cupboard! End of.

Some good points about Ti and Aly. I've always used aly until now, i love my Jetboil and the kids have stolen my Blacks solo and Gelert Ascent sets. I use a battered black crusader cup with home made battered aly lid and a thermal mug and jetboil on ex. The ti stuff i've been seeing looks good if expensive in some areas. I was actually thinking of using my jetboil stove with a ti pot/mug for lightness, and after water my LA Sting is the next heaviest thing on my back!
Looks like a Tibetan Ti pot.

Don't argue guys, i was wondering is all

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
One thing I would also get/make is a pot cosy.I use one and it really does save fuel.The only drawback with them is they take a bit longer to cook dried food,but who's in that much of a rush.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE