Titanium, should i, shouldn't i

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
What sort of food do you guys cook in your Ti pots? Is there a noticable difference between the cooking times / temperatures between Ti and Ali / steel?

The reason I ask is I assume that unless you used a lower heat you would risk burning the food you are cooking, considering the potential difference in the metals ability to transfer heat. This question might not quite make sense, but I cannot think of the exact terminology that I should be using!

Like anything that isn't Ti, if it starts to burn, move it further from the heat. It shouldn't be an issue.

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
As with anything... It only burns when it sticks. Stir it often, no probs!

I practically live out my Ti pot now, home and out LoL! :)

So far- risotto, Noodles (cheap and sharwoods egg) meatballs in tomato sauce, porrage and so on... It also insulates well, so when its 80-90% done, I just rest it for 5 mins with a lid on.

hth, TBL.

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
I recently fancied a Ti frying pan,so I bought this one.

http://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/tibetan_titanium_deep_platebowlpan.html

It's advertised as a bowl/dish/frying pan.Don't believe a word of it.It's well made,light ,well priced but a frying pan it isn't.
I may be being a bit harsh as I've only tried it on a meths burner and it just burnt everything.This may be because the burner runs too hot.It may work well with a gas burner.I'll try it and let you know.

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
First try was with a Vargo decagon stove,it was too hot and you cant use a simmer ring on it.
I've just tried it with a Tatonka burner,with and without a simmer ring ,another fail.And I tried a primus micron gas stove which also failed.
I think the problem is the fact that all the heat tends to stay in one spot and that spot burns the food befor any heat transfers to the outer part of the pan.
All in all as a dish or bowl you can't fault it,but as a frying pan it may as well be made of chocolate.

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Titanium suffers from the same problem as stainless steel as far as cookware goes, ie. it's an absolutely carp conductor of heat! This results in whatever heat source you use creating hot spots where the flame contacts the pan whilst the remainder of the cooking surface remains relatively cool; thus your food sticks & burns unless you continually keep it moving. That you can comfortably drink hot liquids from a ss mug whilst the same liquid would cause an alu mug to sear the lips off you similarly illustrates this phenomenon. Putting your burnt food down to the burner, and a non-pressurised alcoburner at that, running too hot is nonsense. If you want a lightweight frying pan get a Tran27 n/s job.

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
Tried cooking without the non pressurised alcohlol burner and the food didn't burn at all,so I think your statement that blaming the burner is nonsense is just that ......nonsense.The heat from the burner doesn't spread evenly enough to heat the pan evenly.As you say the thermal conducting properties of titanium don't allow this.Any burner will have the same problem whether pressurised or not.If the alcohol burner isn't running too hot then what is causing the heat that burns my food?

bilmo-p5

Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
My apologies; poor wording on my part. Any burner that only heats a small area of your pan is going to create a hotspot where food will burn. The burner, whether it be a relatively cool flame like the alcoburner or something much hotter like the Micron you also used, is doing what it is supposed to do - it is the cookware that is at fault. What heat source did you use when you managed to cook without burning?

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
No need to apologise,my tongue was in my cheek.I haven't been able to cook anything in the pan without burning it.Ti just doesn't seem suitable for frying pans in any weight or thickness that make it better than aluminium.

bilmo-p5

Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
It might work a bit better on a hotplate or heat diffuser although the weight penalty with even a lightweight diffuser would probably make alu a better option. Failing that, over a bed of glowing embers perhaps. The pan isn't going to help you so you need a good spread of heat under it.

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
To be honest the weight difference between Ti and ali compared to the way the both handle heat,Aluminium is going to be the better pan.There is not a lot of difference between the two weight wise but aluminium wins hands down as a frying pan material.

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
So whats the script, is Ti just fashionable compared to Al? If it's that much worse at even heat distribution why is it so popular - its' not much lighter than aluminium and much more expensive.

bilmo-p5

Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
So whats the script,...

As far as I can see, unless you're going in for some serious gram-weenyism (and even then the advantages may be doubtful), it's a big pose-job, although I suppose if you're saving a few grams on your cook-kit it gives you a few to squander on something else.

Last edited:

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
Well whats the best Al mug to get then? I like the Ti-Lite style mug because of the size (fitting a gas cannister), the lid, and the collapsable handles. Any Al mugs similar to that?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE