Tips for using Crusader Cooker /Mug

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
Just got myself a crusader mug and cooker unit (thanks to Halo for selling it to me) and tried it out last night to make a mug of coffee at the bottom of the garden. Seems quite a neat bit of kit - I like the way it stacks together - I'll take it out next time I go for a walk in the woods.

Took 20 minutes to boil half a mug of water (1 pint) using a single army issue hexy block. Oh, that smell of burning hexy blocks - I haven't smelled this for 25 years but it took me right back. Happy memories - more often that not, the smell of hexy meant food and rest. :beerchug:

So, as it seems a bit slow to boil, I was wondering how other people use them:
  • How many blocks do you use - do you break the blocks up?
  • Does the position of the rectangular vent hole matter (e.g. face this into the wind)?
  • Can you burn anything else? E.g. it looks like the circular 'cup' in the cooker might be able to hold liquid fuel.
Thanks

Geoff

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
Ive used meths in the "cup" and alcohol hand gel with success. Shielding the mug from the wind will help the boil time...

gorilla

Settler
Jun 8, 2007
merseyside, england
i use 2- 2 1/2 blocks broken up to rolling boil a full crusader in about 6-7 mins. get one of those little folding aluminium windsheilds - you can wrap it right round the cup and stove, and it really improves the efficiency

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Greenheat is OK, unless it's cold. In which case it's completely pants and will barely burn.

The most important tips in my opinion are:

1. Use a lid.
2. Use a windshield.

Both can be made from foil - preferably the sort of heavy duty foil you can salvage from pie dishes or instant barbeques.

Personally, I use a mini stove made from two Red Bull cans in mine, and wouldn't go back to greenheat. Although I do have a sachet or two for emergencies...

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Greenheat is OK, unless it's cold. In which case it's completely pants and will barely burn.

The most important tips in my opinion are:

1. Use a lid.
2. Use a windshield.

Both can be made from foil - preferably the sort of heavy duty foil you can salvage from pie dishes or instant barbeques.

Personally, I use a mini stove made from two Red Bull cans in mine, and wouldn't go back to greenheat. Although I do have a sachet or two for emergencies...

So you use meths then, because I'm sure Red Bull doesn't burn!!!:D

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire
Another vote for an enegy drink alcohol stove (my lastest is coke a cola blak) although I also use greenheat. If you are not familiar with these stoves this is what we are talking about.

(images pinched of the web as I cannot be bothered to get my camera out :D)

DSCN1398.jpg

or a pressureised version using the bottom of a hinez tost topper and drinks can. Although the preheat can be a bit of a problem in the cooker.

mmp020.jpg

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
Hexy definitely seems to smell more 'fishy' than I remember when in its packaging (I noticed someone else in another thread mentioned this) but, for myself, I quite like the smell of it when it is cooking. Takes me back to what my memory tells me were happy times.:eek:

Geoff

buckley

Nomad
Nov 8, 2006
United Kingdom
Hi there,

Buy one of these...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Crusader-Cup-...ryZ16036QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Only one £1.75 and dramatically reduces boiling time.

Also I made a pepsi can stove out of a can of redbull which fits perfectly and again increases the boiling time. I can boil 1/2 a pint in around 7mins. You can also use a clickstand shield.

Good kit!

You can also buy the 58 pattern canvas holder which keeps all the kit together, I got one of ebay for £3.50.

Great to stick in your daysack! For long trips I prefer a trangia and a clickstand set up and a 12cm billy.

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
Thanks, Buckley, I've ordered one. Looks a good idea and at that price, you can't really lose.

[Edit]I think that with the lid and only boiling half a pint of water (a pint of coffee just before bedtime was a bit to much!) it should bring the boiling time down quite a lot.

Geoff

buckley

Nomad
Nov 8, 2006
United Kingdom
No worries guys:)

Also if you really can't stand meths, I got hold of same lab grade denatured alcohol it burns perfectly and doesn't have that meths smell! Its also a hell of a lot cheaper. Especially if your buy it in bulk.

Take it easy.

buckley

Nomad
Nov 8, 2006
United Kingdom
Thanks, Buckley, I've ordered one. Looks a good idea and at that price, you can't really lose.

[Edit]I think that with the lid and only boiling half a pint of water (a pint of coffee just before bedtime was a bit to much!) it should bring the boiling time down quite a lot.

Geoff

Ha ha! Yeah I made that mistake at first the cups certainly hold a lot, a pint of tea is a bit too much for me. It is great for a couple of tins of whatever though. The lids are really good quality and I recieved mine in 48hours.

Oh, here is a link to the pouch for your kit. It fits the crusader, lid and mug and the tiny pepsi stove, bit of a squeeze though

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CLASSIC-MILIT...ryZ16036QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
You're better off with the newer PLCE pouch than the old '58 pattern pouch, IMHO... It doesn't shrink when it gets wet.

The great thing about the capacity of the mug is that it's big enough to rehydrate a ration pouch and make a brew off one boil. ;)

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
I use the green gel stuff too, never liked the hexy, too big, too smelly (just like me really!) never seems to get it really boiling though, really hot but never furiously boiling, I need to try it with a lid too I suppose. Another good thing about the gel is that you can use it as a fire lighter if needs be by splodging it over some wood. I face the hole away from the wind, it doesn't need much help in burning.

For a pouch I got a black PLCE waterbottle pouch from a local(ish) shop, Leith Army Supplies. It all fits together nicely, cooker, cup plastic cup and bottle, some fuel and now my homemade hanger goes in the wee separate pocket inside. How would the lid fit inside this, just squished down the side??

Cheers,

Alan

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE