Tips for using Crusader Cooker /Mug

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
I just tried meths in the cooker 'cup' - seemed to heat the mug faster than a hexy block, but the meths ran out before the water had boiled, so this doesn't look like an option.

Just out of interest, I tried lighting the hexy block with a swedish firesteel but couldn't get it to go - does anyone know if you can do this?

Geoff

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire
I just tried meths in the cooker 'cup' - seemed to heat the mug faster than a hexy block, but the meths ran out before the water had boiled, so this doesn't look like an option.

Just out of interest, I tried lighting the hexy block with a swedish firesteel but couldn't get it to go - does anyone know if you can do this?

Geoff

Sort of. You have to power some up first but I have found it a bit hit and miss. A bit of cotton wool works better.

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
Quick question:

If I purchase a BCB Crusader cup lid, will it fit my US army issue canteen or will it be the wrong shape? It's difficult to tell from the angle of that photo on e-bay.

Thanks,

Adam

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
No, the crusader cup is bigger than the US one, it will go over the top obviously but you won't get a seal of any sort. Oh and yes they are different in shape.

11binf

Forager
Aug 16, 2005
Phx. Arizona U.S.A
dgcalvert i have only sparked an Esbit tab with fire steel after i crushed it a little to get some powder then i put a spark to it.:) ..i have not yet tried it with a Brit. army hexy tab..
vince g. 11b inf...

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire

Geoff

If you use some 'Ultimate Survival' - WetFire tinder mixed with the hexi it will then definately catch a spark from your Swedish Firesteel. The WetFire will catch the spark and in turn light the hexi-block.:22:

And I'll say this I used hexi-blocks on exercise in the Army Cadets for 6yrs and in the Army for 12yrs and always managed to boil my water and cook my scoff, so you guys who can't manage it are obviously doing something wrong.
Try breaking 2 blocks up into triangular type pieces not too small, stand them on their ends with the points up on your hexi stove and light them, thats what I used to do and it always worked for me. Oh and I was using mess tins not a nice crusader mug!

buckley

Nomad
Nov 8, 2006
United Kingdom
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Crusader-Cup-...ryZ16036QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I use one of these aswell, then you don't have to worry about meths or the boiling time. Just be careful not to burn your lip! You could easily make one, I am just too lazy!

I guess if you want a very quick boil get a pocket rocket or whatever. I don't mind waiting a few minutes longer for a brew though. You can get a rolling boil by just filling the cup unit with meths it just takes a while and uses lots of meths.

Zammo

Settler
Jul 29, 2006
London
Ha ha! Yeah I made that mistake at first the cups certainly hold a lot, a pint of tea is a bit too much for me. It is great for a couple of tins of whatever though. The lids are really good quality and I recieved mine in 48hours.

Oh, here is a link to the pouch for your kit. It fits the crusader, lid and mug and the tiny pepsi stove, bit of a squeeze though

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CLASSIC-MILIT...ryZ16036QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

Does that include fitting the bottle in as well?

I have a 58 pattern pouch and there is just no way the bottle will fit in with the crusader cup on the bottom. I don't think mine has shrunk?

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Crusader-Cup-...ryZ16036QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I use one of these aswell, then you don't have to worry about meths or the boiling time. Just be careful not to burn your lip! You could easily make one, I am just too lazy!

You can make a hanger quite easily in the field like this.

Zammo said:
I have a 58 pattern pouch and there is just no way the bottle will fit in with the crusader cup on the bottom. I don't think mine has shrunk?

Well, I've never used the '58 pattern pouch, but it's notoriously tight for the bottle and plastic mug, and was never designed to take the Crusader or it's cooker, as they hadn't been invented... The PLCE pouch is plenty big enough for the whole stack - mug, bottle, Crusader, and cooker - with room to spare. I can get a PreMac pocket filter, a couple of sachets of greenheat, foil lid, windsheild, teabags and sugar in mine.

Spikey DaPikey

Feb 8, 2006
North West, near the land of the Pies

gorilla

Settler
Jun 8, 2007
merseyside, england
This is a much better pouch, can get stove, lid, bottle, cup, KFS set in, and still have room for teabags !!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DPM-IRR-PLCE-...yZ112476QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

totally agree - plce is much better
here's mine packed;

and unpacked;

stove, metal crusader cup, plastic cup for SWMBO, 2 packs of esbits, lid, cup hanger, water bottle and coffee pouch. if i know i can get clean water on my trip/walk, i leave out the bottle, and can fit milk powder, soup etc in instead! jam in a couple of cotton wool make-up pads, and light one in the bottom of the stove with a spark, 2 blocks on top, and will boil a full mug in 7-8 minutes. proper boil as well!

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
And I'll say this I used hexi-blocks on exercise in the Army Cadets for 6yrs and in the Army for 12yrs and always managed to boil my water and cook my scoff, so you guys who can't manage it are obviously doing something wrong.
Try breaking 2 blocks up into triangular type pieces not too small, stand them on their ends with the points up on your hexi stove and light them, thats what I used to do and it always worked for me. Oh and I was using mess tins not a nice crusader mug!

I never had trouble with the old folding hexy burners and mess tins, then again I would normally be using two hexy blocks, with the larger mess tin used as a lid for the smaller one. And last night when I boiled a smaller amount of water using the crusader cooker /mug (1/2 pint) it boiled much quicker. Also, I would probably have been digging in or cleaning my rifle as my dinner cooked so I probably didn't notice how long it took. :)

Geoff

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I must say, if you can get one, the "Capped Crusader" lids are the dogs danglies. I have one of the plastic ones and its okay - byt the large drink hole lets quite a bit of steam out and I find it a faff to remove from a hot cup to shove the tea bag in etc.

570231418_5624902c89.jpg

The "Capped Crusader" really does work and its a lot easier to put on and take off

Red

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
I've found that by burying 3/4s of my esbit stove into a hole in a ground works wonders in terms of heat transfer and wind resistance. An old army grunt told me about it years ago, and its never really let me down.

But I will say that I much prefer the Natick "kidney" stove setup for the US and CF issue canteens. They also pack away easier than the esbit variety. The only trouble is that when you're using the natick stove and you're finished, you can't pull the canteen cup out of it as it becomes stuck when it heats up. So if you're drinking your brew on a beach, you need to be careful not to burn yourself on the hot stove.

Adam

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE