Beech Eater/Small Cooker

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Been a little while since i last spooned, so i grabbed one of the Chinese spoon blanks i was gifted, soaked it in hot water for a good while to make it easier to carve and then set to.

Ended up with this eating/small cooker, off the knife finish, final pic also shows the tools used to carve it, Polar Puukko 80, Ben Orford English Sloyd and shallow hook, took me a couple of hours to do, but now i'm not carving to sell as i used to, there is no longer any rush, plus my arthritic hands won't stand for it, especially when using harder woods.

53137078678_e527500202_c.jpg

53137078688_614d837a6a_c.jpg

53136008372_6630b3422e_c.jpg

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I like that; it sort of just oozes essence of spoon :) Ticks all the right boxes, etc.,

You're doing remarkably well with arthritic hands. I find little and frequent changes of things to do seems to help keep mine functioning.
I'm sorry you're having to thole this though.

Reactions: Kepis

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Cheers all.

@Toddy - Im paying for the effort this evening, hands are absolutely screaming, still makes a change, its normal, knees, hips, elbows, shoulders......., one of the hardest things i've had to learn since i contracted this bloody disease is how to pace myself and to also recognise that there are some things that i just cannot do, carving is a release though, as i can stop and start and like so many things, once you start you just drift into your own little world.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
@Kepis
You said it :sigh:

I'm reupholstering the sofas.....see thon electric staple gun ? so help me it's going into the loft to stay there forever once I'm done.
It's better than the manual one, but that judder as it fires just throbs through my hands, wrists, elbows and shoulders. I'm managing to staple two units a day. (It's sectional furniture with storage) and I have 18 pieces that require stapling.
The sewing is a whole other issue.

Like you though, I can't not make, I can't not do stuff.
So, we just quietly endure and wish that it didn't take so long to finish things we used to do so quickly, and that it didn't take so long for the blasted aches to calm down too.
I dread the thought of working hard in the cold and wet now. Which is a bit of a beggar, tbh.

Still better than not doing anything though, and your carving's are always interesting :D

M

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Like you though, I can't not make, I can't not do stuff.
So, we just quietly endure and wish that it didn't take so long to finish things we used to do so quickly, and that it didn't take so long for the blasted aches to calm down too.
I dread the thought of working hard in the cold and wet now. Which is a bit of a beggar, tbh.

Still better than not doing anything though, and your carving's are always interesting :D

M
Exactly that, i have to do something, if i cant do the hands on stuff though, i can sit down and plan things, come up with ideas and projects for when i can do things again, the one thing i long to do though is cook again, at the moment i just cant stand at the stove long enough to cook and i really miss it, i do what i can though and my job most days is to prepare the veg for dinner, at least doing that i don't feel totally useless.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE