Tips for using Crusader Cooker /Mug

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Greg,

Russ makes them (Warthog1981) - he does them in bare metal but I gave mine a lick of stove enamel since I had a tin kicking about. A cracking bit of kit they are too

Red

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Greg,

Russ makes them (Warthog1981) - he does them in bare metal but I gave mine a lick of stove enamel since I had a tin kicking about. A cracking bit of kit they are too

Red

Cheers Red, I'll try and convince him to part with one if he has any spare.;)

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
Those metal ones look the mutts nuts, I would worry that the plastic ones would break, especially with the treatment I'm likely to give it!

Hmm, wonder if I could do something with and old biccie tin and a pair of tin snips....

wee project for tomorrow night methinks...

Cheers,

Alan

Zammo

Settler
Jul 29, 2006
London
I must say, if you can get one, the "Capped Crusader" lids are the dogs danglies. I have one of the plastic ones and its okay - byt the large drink hole lets quite a bit of steam out and I find it a faff to remove from a hot cup to shove the tea bag in etc.

570231418_5624902c89.jpg

The "Capped Crusader" really does work and its a lot easier to put on and take off

Red

I do like the looks of those ones, does he sell them or only make them as one offs?

If so how mcuh?

Thanks.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
No idea if he's still doing them - he did a few a while back with some material he had knocking about - you can only ask him I guess

Red

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I do like the looks of those ones, does he sell them or only make them as one offs?

If so how mcuh?

Thanks.

I spoke to him lastnight, He says there is a bit of a queue for them at the moment and he hasn't at present got any material to make them so it may be a while.

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
I have one from Russ as well, great job

DSC00207-1.jpg

I hate Hex so i never use it but i do use greenheat on occasion with a hex stove

401_0188_1.jpg

or crusader cooker

406_0699_1.jpg

Meths is faster than hex or green heat

425_2599_1.jpg

426_2626_1.jpg

but i like to use it on a fire best of all, the lid from Russ keeps ash out of your brew and it boils really fast.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
And fab they are Rus (although I claim the only kinky black variant :)).

I'll take some piccs on me bimbles if'n you like

Red

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
Got my plastic BCB crusader cup lid a few days ago. It certainly works well - the lid on the cup speeds up the boiling time and at £2.50 it seems a good bargain (then again, it's just a bit of moulded plastic), I can now boil half a pint of water with half an army issue hexy tab in 6-7 minutes and that's to a rolling boil (now I have to buy my own hexy tabs I'm more concerned about economy, but maybe that's just the Yorkshire spirit coming out in me)...

...but I don't know whether my crusader mug is a bit bent, but I have to force the lid on quite hard to get it to sit in the mug - and when it has boiled and I want to get the lid off, the fit is so tight that I have to poke a stick under the edge of the lid to 'ping' it off (and more often than not, the lid then falls into the mug)...

...so if it breaks, I'm not sure that I'll buy another one...

...but if those metal ones that Warthog makes are a loose fit over the top of the mug then I'd be tempted. Or I may just use a piece of thick foil from a pie dish.

Geoff

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE