the word "bushcraft"

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

marcelxl

Settler
May 2, 2010
Kamloops, B.C.
Me too, not keen on the word and don't like using it.

I just go and "play out"!

I have described it on CV's/resumes to impress as "a passionate interest in primitive leaving skills and a deeper understanding of nature, the seasons and all they have to offer" which sounds like I do something other than play out and like sharp and shiney things, dress in green and smell like woodsmoke, but those of you who venture out know that not to be true!

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
I wonder how long the term bushcraft has been used in Australia as they have been rummaging around in their bush for a long time .

I don't know about the Aussies but it's been a term in use in NZ for a long time. It predates RM and the current 'up surge' in interest in all things 'Bushcraft' in the UK by a long long while...

The earliest known reference I have is from "The productions, industry, and resources of New South Wales By Charles St. Julian, Edward K. Silvester" and the term bushcraft is used as a heading on page 95, this was published in 1853...

But I'm pretty sure I read the term in one of my mountain men/pioneer books that predates the above but I'll be damned if i can find it!!

Also to be found in Big game hunting in Central Africa by james dunbar brunton, published 1912

Also Early reminiscences by sir daniel Lysons ,1896

Last edited:

purplehat

Jun 6, 2011
Wiltshire
I'm not a fan of the term bushcraft either - always makes me think of either the kalahari or the Scouts. Much prefer terms like woodcraft, though I must admit that 'cocking about in the woods' does have a certain ring of truth to it....might have to adopt that.

Loz*

May 24, 2011
United Kingdom
Not too fussed either way about the word bushcraft, used to call it survival years ago as my only point of reference back then was the SAS survial handbook.
What does annoy me is the term 'hobo fishing'! ***? Your looking for food in bins? oh you mean using a handline to catch fish! Oh and you are from the UK :rolleyes:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Ludicrous term, woodcraft would have been better, ain't no bush in the UK, most of us are just off camping in the woods, some of us dress up for the role more lol, 'Tramping' sums it up better IMO.

Feb 9, 2011
Seattle WA
Being from the US I also like "Cocking about in the woods" as expressing the essence of so called bushcraft.
Woodcraft conjures up images of furniture makers and chainsaw wood carvers (Forgive me Horace K).
A major problem is the word 'bushcraft" encompasses so many different things we do in the woods, including a number of romantic subdivisions:

“Bygone”craft – for atavists for whom wilderness camping is as a sort of primitive historical reenactment (stone-age to mountain man, pick your epoch.)
“Neat!”-ture craft – for nature lovers
“Posh”craft – for the lazy, gadget lovers, or gear whores
“Butch”craft – for the conspicuously uber-masculine (often featuring camo, unnecessarily friggin’ big sharp implements, and black rifles - in the US)
“****”craft – for the pessimistic, paranoid, or antisocial
“Rambo”craft - for military, ninja, or samuri wanabes
“Mcgyver”craft – for those who improvise all gear from just coal, air, and water
“Maso”craft – for those who must do everything the painful or hard way

I guess the "cocking about in the woods" tent is large enough for all.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Ludicrous term, woodcraft would have been better, ain't no bush in the UK, most of us are just off camping in the woods, some of us dress up for the role more lol, 'Tramping' sums it up better IMO.

'Tramping' is a good one! That's what I'd say sums up my efforts..
:camping:

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
just to add to my rather flippant response, I like the term Bushcraft, it's a header for the subjects i enjoy learning at the moment, be it simple survival to carving to exped planning, it's an all encompassing word for the separate subjects, I don't do bushcraft, i don't go out crafting, I go walking or camping,orienteering, I go to look for things to use weather I use them out camping or make things with them in my garage, it's skill and knowledge to enhance my time out, to have fun with to rely on, I am certainly not a Bushcrafter, I study Bushcraft.

I do go Cocking about in the woods.

bojit

Native
Aug 7, 2010
Edinburgh
Having seen your photo on another thread Mr. Bojit, I wouldn't dare call you anything other than sir !

Someone did call me sir once before , but i had just caught him trying to steal my mountain bike . cycling shoes do seem to hurt when you kick someone in the butt when they are bent over trying to hacksaw a padlock.

As a forum i can't think of a better descriptive name than bcuk , it does what it says on the tin ! but i will stick to telling folk I'm off for a walk in the woods or away camping .

Craig.....

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow

What a sad, jaded view you have of such an interesting and enjoyable pastime.

I know I shouldn't bite but for crying out loud Rick, can you not see how much people love being out and about? You reduce everything to some imaginary fashion show, call folk knobs if you don't like the trousers or jacket they're wearing, put folk down if they don't follow the same ideas you do.....

Is it that there's no impending threat lingering over campers in the UK? You seem to come back to that a lot, how folk are always less than twenty minutes from a cosy bed or whatever?

I realise that some folk are just naturaly foul tempered but your bile always seems to be targeted at some particular image of a stereotypical bushcrafter. Perhaps such folk exist in your camping circles but the people I've met through this forum are some of the most 'individual' individuals around. Did it ever occur to you that you might just be talking mince?

Wayland

Hárbarðr
happy0065.gif

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I know of no better term than "Bushcraft" to act as an umberella term for all the different aspects of what I get up to including hiking, woodcarving, net making, plant ID, wildfood collection, flint knapping, stone carving, leatherworking, fabric sewing, knife making, open fire cooking, writing, natural navigation, wildlife spotting, canoeing, basketry, chillin' and chattin' ...and the rest!
Some is not even done in the woods but on the seashore, in the fields and in my workrooms - so camping is not enough, tramping is not enough, playing is not enough either as I get paid to do some of it and some of it is essential for the smooth running of my home...
So "Bushcraft" is a good catch all that has yet to be improved upon IMHO :)

Culloch

Forager
Jun 22, 2008
Australia
I'm with Grooveski on this, there's enough knockers from outside without constant negativity from within!
Who really cares what label you affix to your pastime its about getting out there and enjoying the great outdoors whether that be alone or in the company of likeminded individuals...just get out and enjoy!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE