The women are revolting

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
ARGGH! This argument drives me nuts.

The reason that we have Woman's Hour on radio 4 is because of the inherent sexism within the media. Take for example (because I have the stats on it), QI. Not including the most recent series (as I haven't run the stats on it), 13% of panel guests have been female. Just over 1 in 10. Yet Women make up 51% of the British population. Oh, and of that 13%, Jo brand accounts for over 30%.

Yours,

Julia

Ok what's the % female Comedians to male Uk / World (of the professional level seen on QI ) probably closer to the 15-30% probably actually a lot less so they are represented correctly or higher %

they have never had a Chinese comedian of any gender ive seen on and they are 30% of the entire world population.

What you need to do is Force girls to become Comedians to get the 51% balance you require as a career path represented in the industry.

so maybe assessment at at birth and allocation of Job type based on male /female ratios in available areas (sorry you cant be 'X' as there are already to many of your type (gender,class, race etc) in that area you can be A B or C only )

In our House we have a 50 /50 split of male/female Adults (& Kids) guess we have a problem as we are to heavy on the male % (im not sure how to get it 49/51) one goes to work and earns the money the other works at home looks after the House / Animals garden Kids etc Choice was based on the one with the Largest earning power Works the other wasn't worth working to pay most of the salary for child care and fuel to get to a senior manager Job and any way what's the point of having Kids and hardly seeing them and paying others to bring them up ???
I got fed up listening to mothers a few months after birth wishing to be able to go back to work even tho it would cost them more per hr to earn £10 and pay £15 child care.............. madness... even after a conversation and explaining the money they seemed Brain washed into they Had to 'work' to have worth.

ATB

Duncan

Last edited:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have to go along with Mr Red on this discussion.
Mind you I seem to be out of step with the majority of the population who seem to enjoy "Car Crash" TV, "Reality" shows, making men into wage slaves while women stay at home, think that "equality" means having equal representatives of gender/race/size variables in every role - even if they have no desire to be there/are not suited to the role etc, not giving everyone the equality of choice to go for a goal, that "discrimination" is bad ... unless prefaced with the word "positive" and that a bare faced liar and cheat is a great role model for our youngsters.
Me - I just like the simple things in life - Truth, Honesty and fair competitions :)

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
We call them "Professional Wrestlers" over here.

Actually, that's an interesting point. This is clearly an entertainment "sport". However, to those who have done even a modicum of martial arts, the skill, athleticism and sheer technique involved in putting on these shows is of a very high standard indeed. Many of the moves would result in serious injury or death without exceptional control on the part of the performers (I will happily demonstrate how easy it is to shatter an elbow joint in an armlock for any disbelievers:) ) Add to that the sheer size of these guys, and its quite astonishing that there haven't been more deaths or serious injuries.

So, no, I don't join in the general disparagement of "professional wrestlers" in the WWE or elsewhere, as many do through sheer ignorance. Instead I admire their talents, as I do with BG, RM or Lofty. It just always surprises me to see how many never look beneath the surface to appreciate people's talents, instead relying on the invariably inaccurate stereotypes propagated by the haters of this world. (although I'm sure the haters have some good points too - just a bit difficult to find sometimes:) )

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire

I got fed up listening to mothers a few months after birth wishing to be able to go back to work even tho it would cost them more per hr to earn £10 and pay £15 child care.............. madness... even after a conversation and explaining the money they seemed Brain washed into they Had to 'work' to have worth.

ATB

Duncan

Although I can understand your point of view re homebuilding as an important job - my wife stayed at home to bring up our three kids full-time - its a choice, but not the only one. If some women prefer to get back to work, surely that's their right to do so? Maybe they want a certain stimulation and challenge they get from work that they wouldn't get at home, even if the finances don't always stack up?

Re the rest. I despise discrimination, but that also includes "positive" discrimination where the best candidate is discriminated against on the basis of his age, or colour, or race or health. That is the classic definition of racism to me.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
relying on the invariably inaccurate stereotypes propagated by the haters of this world. (although I'm sure the haters have some good points too - just a bit difficult to find sometimes:) )

Using the word "hater" is just a little childish don't you think? We all have opinions on other people we see around us - or are we supposed to just "love" everyone, irrespective of their actions?. Or is your point that whatever actions someone carries out they should be immune from criticism? Or is it only the people that you personally like that others should not criticise?

It is okay to find untruthfulness and unsafe practices as unpleasant and irresponsible and as a result form an opinion of the person who carries them out.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Using the word "hater" is just a little childish don't you think? We all have opinions on other people we see around us - or are we supposed to just "love" everyone, irrespective of their actions?. Or is your point that whatever actions someone carries out they should be immune from criticism? Or is it only the people that you personally like that others should not criticise?

It is okay to find untruthfulness and unsafe practices as unpleasant and irresponsible and as a result form an opinion of the person who carries them out.

Childish is refusing to address the issues, instead relying on calling someone gay, or a dewy-eyed hero worshipper to make your point. Childish is pretending to not understand how TV works, or that it is an entertainment medium, and applying double standards to different practitioners using similar techniques - eg David Attenborough and BG. Childish is only looking at one side of the equation, despite knowing full well the others.

However, if it floats your boat, its ok with me. I'll still enjoy your posts about your smallholding adventures, without a thought that you are self-aggrandising, Because I look for the good in people, not their failings:)

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
or are we supposed to just "love" everyone, irrespective of their actions?

Yes we are.

But...

That's a very different matter from liking them, liking their actions, thinking about their actions or letting them "get away" with their actions.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
......they have never had a Chinese comedian of any gender ive seen on and they are 30% of the entire world population.

Really? What about Jackie Chan? And if we expand that category to other Asians as well as Chinese, the list grows exponentially.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
However, if it floats your boat, its ok with me.

That's the main thing - of course if TV is an "entertainment medium" then BG is indeed an actor - which is where we came into this debate (along with you starting using phrases like "armchair experts" of course - but I assume its okay when you do it?)

I know you are desperate to be offended - but you might want to check the following link.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Man Crush

Don't worry - I won't expect you to apologise just because the facts show you getting on your high horse about an insult that was never made :)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Yes we are.

But...

That's a very different matter from liking them, liking their actions, thinking about their actions or letting them "get away" with their actions.
"Faith, Hope and Charity - but the greatest of these is Charity"
"Charity" is also often translated as "Love" ....
Be Charitable and love those who are total pillocks as well as those we admire - love 'em faults and all ... but recognise that they are still pillocks!

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Actually, that's an interesting point. This is clearly an entertainment "sport". However, to those who have done even a modicum of martial arts, the skill, athleticism and sheer technique involved in putting on these shows is of a very high standard indeed. Many of the moves would result in serious injury or death without exceptional control on the part of the performers (I will happily demonstrate how easy it is to shatter an elbow joint in an armlock for any disbelievers:) ) Add to that the sheer size of these guys, and its quite astonishing that there haven't been more deaths or serious injuries.

So, no, I don't join in the general disparagement of "professional wrestlers" in the WWE or elsewhere, as many do through sheer ignorance. Instead I admire their talents, as I do with BG, RM or Lofty. It just always surprises me to see how many never look beneath the surface to appreciate people's talents, instead relying on the invariably inaccurate stereotypes propagated by the haters of this world. (although I'm sure the haters have some good points too - just a bit difficult to find sometimes:) )

I never meant to denigrate pro wrestlers. I knew a few personally back when it was a small, localized thing rather than the global corporation it is now. They definitely are athletic even if the "sport" itself isn't real. They're body builders and probably the closest fitting description of them would be to compare them to stunt men.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
I never meant to denigrate pro wrestlers. I knew a few personally back when it was a small, localized thing rather than the global corporation it is now. They definitely are athletic even if the "sport" itself isn't real. They're body builders and probably the closest fitting description of them would be to compare them to stunt men.[/QUOTE

Yes, stunt men is probably a good description - 300 pound stuntmen! Although not many body-builders I've seen have anything like the flexibility required to do what those wrestlers do. I've seen too many injuries on a judo mat to hold those guys in anything but awe over their control, however well-staged the script might have been prepared!

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
1503850_620774477993077_8402641518541225771_n.png

TurboGirl

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
I dunno if this points been made but... if you have both sexes, it'd just become another silly reality TV show with producer pressure to up the ratings by introducing 'love interest', maybe :)

(Apologies to FGYT, I note you have already made a very simillar point... typical women eh, never listen :D)

Its the greatest of priviledges to be welcomed into the (male dominated) woodland work parties, set to all together and have a laugh and a craic. Its very different from female company- I've done my share of knit n natters etc :)- and theres much to celebrate in both, vive la difference!

Last edited:

atlatlman

Settler
Dec 21, 2006
ipswich
I dunno if this points been made but... if you have both sexes, it'd just become another silly reality TV show with producer pressure to up the ratings by introducing 'love interest', maybe

I don't think I could stomach another Peter Andre and Jordan love fest. Yuk.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE