The women are revolting

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I noticed this earlier; and I thought of it this way....no society survives without women. We need men too, but how can he claim 'survive' without women ?.....and why is his wife not giving him a flea in his ear about it ?

It's just tv and sofa lounger's pap, I reckon. Define survival :rolleyes:

M

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Given the programme is apparently intended to explore whether men are still practical, I wonder what their issue is? That its a show about men? I trust they also believe that Woman's Hour is equally sexist and the Women's Institute should be closed down? Or is it just a double standard?

I won't watch it because of the actor involved, but I see nothing inherently wrong with programmes about masculine issues.

The Infamous Grouse

Tenderfoot
Apr 15, 2014
West Sussex
Given the programme is apparently intended to explore whether men are still practical, I wonder what their issue is? That its a show about men? I trust they also believe that Woman's Hour is equally sexist and the Women's Institute should be closed down? Or is it just a double standard?

I won't watch it because of the actor involved, but I see nothing inherently wrong with programmes about masculine issues.

+1 I agree. In my humble opinion; equality is indifference.

atlatlman

Settler
Dec 21, 2006
ipswich
Maybe they will make a second show, which only includes women. I'm not being sexist here but hopefully they will only be allowed to wear bikinis.:D

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Equality is not indifference; it's understanding and awareness; for and from both genders.

(sorry The Infamous Grouse; that sounds like such a put down. It's more that I think we are blinkered here. My own young sons, watching the news when the ayatollah took over Iran kind of summed it up for me. They were utterly shocked; "How can they do that to half of their people ?!?", commented one as their womenfolks were suddenly shrouded head to foot.
Half of their people. I was so pleased at his attitude but it really kind of showed just how sheltered, and biased compared to much of the world, that he was. )

We live in an incredibly sheltered and privileged part of the world, yet even here there are issues. The difference is that women here can speak up and not be abused into silence.
That I think is not only a credit to our ancestresses, but to our menfolks.

I like being female :) but I'm a female in Great Britain. Lots of places I would most certainly not be happy being female simply because of how females are treated.

Now, Mod Hat On..... civil discussion is a very good thing, but a little courteous restraint would be much appreciated. We already have reports on this thread, and I'm having a chill out day after a frenetic one yesterday, I'd like to enjoy it :D

atb,
Mary

Last edited:

dave89

Nomad
Dec 30, 2012
Sheffield
I find the advert with the slogan "drive like a Girl" highly offensive. I wish to drive like a 50 year old school teacher with a volvo which has a bucket of water in the passager seat.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
TV [which i dont watch] has a lot of sexist garbage on it. A lot of "womens" programs are intellectually vacant. Some pop videos are so appalling in their displays of sex, and song lyrics so corrupting, an all male bear grylls show is hardly going harm societys view of women.

Single gender shows are never any good.

The Infamous Grouse

Tenderfoot
Apr 15, 2014
West Sussex
Equality is not indifference; it's understanding and awareness; for and from both genders.

(sorry The Infamous Grouse; that sounds like such a put down. It's more that I think we are blinkered here. My own young sons, watching the news when the ayatollah took over Iran kind of summed it up for me. They were utterly shocked; "How can they do that to half of their people ?!?", commented one as their womenfolks were suddenly shrouded head to foot.
Half of their people. I was so pleased at his attitude but it really kind of showed just how sheltered, and biased compared to much of the world, that he was. )

We live in an incredibly sheltered and privileged part of the world, yet even here there are issues. The difference is that women here can speak up and not be abused into silence.
That I think is not only a credit to our ancestresses, but to our menfolks.

I like being female :) but I'm a female in Great Britain. Lots of places I would most certainly not be happy being female simply because of how females are treated.

Now, Mod Hat On..... civil discussion is a very good thing, but a little courteous restraint would be much appreciated. We already have reports on this thread, and I'm having a chill out day after a frenetic one yesterday, I'd like to enjoy it :D

atb,
Mary

Maybe I'm misunderstood, I mean no offence, I simply mean that I feel we will have achieved a state of true equality when people from all walks of life no longer feel the need to criticize other peoples choices under banners of racism or sexism.

Loose women is fine, that's on TV. I don't see a problem with another show just for men. The sexism lies in the fact someone even thought to bring it up as an issue. just saying. no offence intended.

leon-1

Right folks this is potentially a hotbed of trouble.

So here is my point of view on it. This show is to do with how practical a man can be and whether man has lost his practical side.

Generally it is an accepted fact that women are more practical on their outlook than men are, womens role within society has increased as the male role within society has declined. However how much has modern society changed men and their ability to adapt practically to any given situation. Our role as men has been gradually stripped from us and we are classed as being a chauvinist even if we open doors for women. The majority of men no longer hunt and a very large part have never skinned an animal. The ability to construct or craft anything is also in the decline. The ability to cook anything that doesn't come in microwaveable form also appears to be on the decline in both sexes.

So integrating women into a program that is part of a study into the practical abilities of men and how they have been affected by society and it's progress would be self defeating.

Also placing females on the island would cause problems, men behave differently around women, I have seen the nature of it within the armed forces.

I would argue the same point if the study was all female. You cannot have a true study of one gender or the other without totally separating them so that one sex cannot influence the other in any way shape or form. That is not sexist it's reality.

As a mod please keep things civil.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I think it courteous to open doors, offer seats, etc., and I have no compunction about doing it (as a woman) for another who is more obviously in need, or a man either.
I am also quite prepared to tear into a woman who rants at a man for being courteous. It's not denigrating, it's simple regard for another, and if she's ranting at him over that, then she's showing none.

I grew up with capable menfolks; my own sons are capable people too. I think society, as a whole, has become less capable.
Too long spent sat doing nothing but watching the gogglebox is the usual reason given, but, y'know ? for most folks there's no need to be skilled with their hands any more. We live in a buy now, throw away quickly, society. We've never had more and had less need of it.
Maybe that most here are capable people, who do do things, is why the site appeals to many of us.

I'm away to plant some trees :) and see if I can find a bit of willow to try out the wee peeled brushes again :)

atb,
Toddy

Haggis

Nomad
I've been married these last 43 years, to the same woman, and during that time we've raised 4 daughters. I freely admit to knowing much less about women now than I did before all this started 43 years ago, and I knew nothing at all then. When I think of an island with 12 men and no women, I'm mindful of holidays when all of my daughters and the wife are again under the same roof. That's it, think of our cottage, 5 adult women, under one roof, all speaking a language and observing customs I will never comprehend. During family gatherings, when a daughter-in-law is added to the mix, I, my Good Son, and the son-in-laws simply keep our heads down and uselessly try to avoid being caught in the crossfire. I'm thinking if they were being filmed on an island, the theme song would be, "Who Wants to Live Forever", and the slogan would be, "There Can Be Only One".

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE