Boy, nine, 24 hours in wild.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
(Daily Mail Version)

A story with a happy ending and apparently all thanks to Mr. Grylls's television show...

A nine-year-old American boy who got lost after becoming separated from his family in a dense forest survived without mishap - thanks to British adventurer Bear Grylls.
Full story here.

:D

(Huffington Post Version)

A story with a happy ending and apparently all thanks to Mr. Grylls's television show...

"Man Vs. Wild" Helps 9-Year-Old Utah Boy Survive Night In Woods Alone
Full story here.

:D

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Good little tale, good on him for not freaking out and making things even worse.

Survival with the Bear necessities, brilliant

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
While its great that Grylls finally gave some advise worth following, it still wasnt really what a child in this situation should be taught to do. He is lucky he was found, essencially it seems he thought the best way to be rescued was to carry on wandering.it is not. not for a child who is being looked for.
I do not blame Grylls for this, because his show is for people who are truly lost and are possibly not being searched for, not for nine year old boys who have wandered off the hiking trail, he may have been rescued quicker had he stayed still and begun shouting, or better yet, been knowlageable with a map.

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
moving isnt such a bad idea if you need to find good shelter or to get out of the wind. he marked his path which is a whise move and imo ups his chances because they are spread over a whide area and if they find 1 then all they have to do is send a team each way.
never thought id be saying this but well done bear:)

pete

Oct 6, 2008
Cheshire
Plenty of people were quick enough to praise Ray when a couple of numpties got themselves lost and then found again a few months ago.

There's a bloke at work who is a big Bearophile , we spend many a happy hour him taking the **** out of Ray, me out of Bear. He will be insufferable for bloody weeks now!!

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
Irrespective of any other factor, the child felt empowered by the knowledge he'd gained, despite his fear, loneliness, cold and hunger, he stuck with 'his' plan and was instrumental in the success of his own rescue!

I believe that the media attention this story receives may encourage parents and others to consider having a strategy for when things go wrong.

Despite not having any of the minimum emergency gear that we'd prefer to have, he did just fine, and turned a potential disaster into an adventure which will educate and inspire.

m.durston

Jun 15, 2005
st albans
Bear's not so bad, its those idiot programme makers that make him look a fool. anyways the kid done really well with the extremely limited resources at hand.
i suppose we should be grateful that he didnt try to drink the fluids from deer poo or something lol
makes you wonder why the organisers of the trip didnt make everyone have a whistle on them?

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Good job it did not rain as the lad ripped up his rain coat, would have been a different story in the winter.

Glad to see the lad survived, good on him.

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
Is it so surprising that the lad "survived" for 24 hours without coming to harm?

That's only one day in reasonable weather in a forest.

He was lucky that he was seen in the clearing; if he hadn't been found so soon it would have been a different story.

The papers, especially the Mail, get up my nose with their manipulation of stories.

Yes, I am a miserable old git.:p

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
I think Ill be one of this threads miserable gits as well, borderiever!

I think there is an issue here that `he turned it into an adventure` this is not a good thing, that kids now feel the response to being lost is to make it an adventure. because real being lost, standing still till dad finds you is awfully boring. Its not supposed to be an adventure, and he tore up his bright relective coat! what if he ran out and carried on walking? No more trail and no more bright coat a helicopter could see. And how much time did he spend building a shelter? it would not have kept him warm, and probably not dry if most 9 year olds attempts to build a shelter are anything to go off, it would achieve only to waste energy and make him less visable.
In fact the more I think about it, the more I think he was found because the search party followed his trail in time, he did not respond correctly in this situation, he attempted to be a hero, not his fault though , and I do not think its Bears either, its his parents fault for not having a plan of action drilled into their kids heads that would prevent them from wandering further into the wilderness when they got lost.

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
I agree that the kid, in that situation, should have stayed put - however, knowing to mark his trail and recalling a good hi-vis way to do it was clever, so good on him. Kids like adventure, (plenty of times when I was a kid when we'd think we were wandering off into the wilderness with nothing but our bows, a belt stuffed with arrows and a pocket knife and we'd pop up behind our school :rolleyes: ) which isn't necessarily a survival trait while out and about - but at least he put some thought into it, and didn't just go running off as many kids would've done!

I also agree that the adults in charge were at fault, in that he should have been better supervised. A whistle is definitely a good thing to give a kid, especially if you're travelling in a group where it's easier for someone to get 'misplaced'. However, it shouldn't be relied upon - sounds can be hellish to follow in a forest, in my experience.

PS: Could hardly have picked a nicer spot to get lost though eh? :D

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Imagaine the pure fear that would have gone through the kids head when he knew he was lost. A child of nine would do well not to just flip out in complete panic. He kept his cool and thought of a plan, that takes some doing at any age let alone at nine. Remember that the majority of the population have no idea how to behave in such situations, it's our hobby, so we do. Very easy for us to shake out heads and groan. As for Bears advice, his programmes would be very boring if he just sat down and said "the best thing to do in this situation, is to stay put and wait to be rescued" :D

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
As for Bears advice, his programmes would be very boring if he just sat down and said "the best thing to do in this situation, is to stay put and wait to be rescued" :D
Why? I'm sure if they just filmed him sat there it would, but if they showed him making stuff, like a shelter, or a bed, or in his case a trouser press, lots of people would learn something of value. Ray's made half a dozen programmes and in all cases it's what he say, stay with the car/van/4x4.
Same with the lost on the trail, at no point does he say run about and throw bits of your only water proof garment about, nor does he mention being careless with your food.

The only good thing was the kid knew that he could/would survive and that someone would be looking for him, Ray, Bear, and the Bush tucker man have all said (on television) that "surviving is a state of mind". If the kid got that message from Barbeque Grylls, then that’s the only good thing to come out of him watching ‘man v wild’

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I think it's great that he was imbued with the confidence not to panic and to think logically about his situation, what he did right or wrong isn't so important in my eyes, he did enough right to do ok, if he hadn't done some of those things he may not have been found.

It's a positive things that's come out of the TV when even within a 24 hour period it could have been so much worse. A 9 year old being level headed in a situation that might test more experienced people, i think it's great

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE