The "What is this bug?" thread

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
034_zps84fb6bb4.jpg

Came across this beastie, anyone ID it for me?

My best guess from google was Fox Moth caterpillar?

Fox moth is my conclusion too.

Leiflet

Nomad
Jun 5, 2013
Devon
Got back to my books, took another look at the vid. Utterly flummoxed. Where was it found? If it was indoors, maybe a pest control bod would have a better idea.

Cheers,
Leif

Ash Blue

Tenderfoot
Jan 19, 2007
Manchester
I live in a cabin-like buidling next to our family house. Where I live is on a half mile stretch of farms in between 2 big towns. It was climbing up the glass on my door on the outside.

I wish I would have put it in a container now, because I didn't know it would be a mystery :O

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I live in a cabin-like buidling next to our family house. Where I live is on a half mile stretch of farms in between 2 big towns. It was climbing up the glass on my door on the outside.

I wish I would have put it in a container now, because I didn't know it would be a mystery :O

And this was in the vicinity of Manchester?

JohnClayton

Oct 14, 2013
Grimsargh Preston Lancashire
The little beastie near your hoody is actually a ladybird larvae which are veracious little blighters and eat garden pests including aphids which they munch away on given the chance. The larvae go through 4 instars during its life before coming an adult, in other words its sheds its skin as it grows.

JohnClayton

JohnClayton

Oct 14, 2013
Grimsargh Preston Lancashire
The hairy beastie on your lawn in Manchester is actually a Garden Tiger Moth caterpillar (Arctia caja) which were common at one time but now protected and I actually saw a couple last week crossing the road on Longridge fell in Lancashire near where I live, it can grow to 2.4ins [6cm] and can play dead when threatened.[It was known at one time as the woolly bear caterpillar]. Beware if you pick one up as it can shed its hair which are an irritant to predators and fingers as well
The caterpillar is especially fond of eating non woody plants such as raspberry, blackberry, viburnum, honeysuckle, erica, and broom. The adult moth which can have a wingspan of up to 6.5cm likes damp places such as gardens, parks and river banks and has conspicuous red and black hind wings which it shows when threatened and apparently tastes extremely unpleasant.

JohnClayton

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Quick question for Harvestman.

Why is it at this time of year that I end up covered in spider web when just walking the dog? There seems to be oodles of the stuff about in fields in the garden. I spend half my dog walk trying to get it out of my fact and spitting web.

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Quick question for Harvestman.

Why is it at this time of year that I end up covered in spider web when just walking the dog? There seems to be oodles of the stuff about in fields in the garden. I spend half my dog walk trying to get it out of my fact and spitting web.

Reply from Harvestman. :)

Because at this time of year there large orb weavers (garden spider, 4 spot spider and the like) are all at their largest, so their webs are larger too. The webs are to capture flying insects so are higher and more exposed than webs at other times of year.

Also the juvenile spiders take advantage of sunny days to pay out silk into rising thermals to get lift. Then they let go and drift away as a dispersal technique. they can pay out several dozen metres of silk at a time, or more.

So, there's a lot of silk out there right now.

Of course, you could also try looking where you are going...:rolleyes:

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Going to post one of my own now. I was given this chrysalis yesterday, and asked what it is. I haven't the foggiest. It is empty, and I have half a suspicion that the colour is due to something involved in the breakdown of the shell rather than being the natural chrysalis colour. Anyway, it looks nice.

10333157655_437c6352c2_b.jpg

10333139604_3d7aa5d0f3_b.jpg

Emdiesse

Settler
Jan 9, 2005
Surrey, UK
Lovely colours in that chrysalis Harvestman :)

So, my question to you is...

[edit]Common Orb-weaver? Meta (Metellina) segmentata[/edit]

Have I found a false widow in my house... or am I way off !!! :)

Either way, he/she has been safely relocated to a new home in the garden.

IsThisSteatodaNobilis-1024x682.jpg

Last edited:

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
That's Metellina, probably segmentata. Extremely variable in appearance, but there are several ways to tell it from the false widow spiders (genus Steatoda).
1. Metellina is much smaller.
2. Metellina has much spinier legs, and the front legs are always very long
3. The abdomen of Steatoda is always glossy and shiny, regardless of the pattern
4. Metellina has a mark on the carapace like a letter Y, or a tuning fork (you can see in the picture that the carapace is two-coloured). Steatoda never has this mark, and the carapace is always entirely dark.

Metellina is probably the commonest spider in the UK, but because it is so variable it is sometimes one of the most difficult to recognise. Just when you think you have it worked out you find one that looks completely different. Even now I get ones that make me hesitate and look closer. The one is your picture is unusually dramatically marked, which is why you might have confused it.

Emdiesse

Settler
Jan 9, 2005
Surrey, UK
That's Metellina, probably segmentata. Extremely variable in appearance, but there are several ways to tell it from the false widow spiders (genus Steatoda).
1. Metellina is much smaller.
2. Metellina has much spinier legs, and the front legs are always very long
3. The abdomen of Steatoda is always glossy and shiny, regardless of the pattern
4. Metellina has a mark on the carapace like a letter Y, or a tuning fork (you can see in the picture that the carapace is two-coloured). Steatoda never has this mark, and the carapace is always entirely dark.

Metellina is probably the commonest spider in the UK, but because it is so variable it is sometimes one of the most difficult to recognise. Just when you think you have it worked out you find one that looks completely different. Even now I get ones that make me hesitate and look closer. The one is your picture is unusually dramatically marked, which is why you might have confused it.

Pretty pleased with that then, didn't too too badly once I'd got over the initial excitement of seeing a somewhere white and black 'skull-like' pattern on it's back that has been spewed across the media of late. I started to notice the caralace of my spider was whiter near the legs and the legs where increasingly less hairy that the images of the Steatodas I found.

Last edited:

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Pretty good observation. Nice to see someone looking closely.

It should be noted that there are actually several species of False Widows, genus Steatoda in Britain, most of which are native, and several of which can bite humans. The one causing the hysteria is S. nobilis, which is the largest of the genus found in the UK, and which probably originates in the Canary islands. Even so, it has been turning up in the UK for years, and is well established.

20 years ago the same hysteria surrounded S. grossa, which is slightly smaller, but that has been in the UK for ages, and is at least naturalised, if not actually native. Ironically, in continental Europe, Steatoda grossa is regarded as a predator of the true Black Widow, Lactrodectus sp.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE