The "What is this bug?" thread

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mad Mike

Nomad
Nov 25, 2005
Maidstone
:You_Rock_ Its only got 7 legs. Also I didn't recognise it from below & needed another angle

ws3_zpsc27fc540.jpg

The biggest one I have seen so far.

Another one for ID please this time with a no 5 knife

Spider3_zps09383036.jpg

Mike

Last edited:

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
oo 'eck, that second one is a lot more difficult. Gorgeous beastie though.

Looks like a Lycosid (wolf spider family) but might be a Liocranid. Will need to research this one, as they are not easy to separate on appearance alone.

Please tell me you are in the UK

Mad Mike

Nomad
Nov 25, 2005
Maidstone
oo 'eck, that second one is a lot more difficult. Gorgeous beastie though.

Looks like a Lycosid (wolf spider family) but might be a Liocranid. Will need to research this one, as they are not easy to separate on appearance alone.

Please tell me you are in the UK

Sorry just back from Italy This was about 10 feet north of the wasp spider. Living in a lean to roof against a sandstone wall. Just to be awkward

Mad Mike

Nomad
Nov 25, 2005
Maidstone
Another Italian for you same location I think it came down with a lot of leaves & nuts off a walnut tree. Found in the bonnet mounted spare on the land rover looking a bit wet.

spider4_zps76e3ee4c.jpg

spider5_zps41d830e4.jpg

Mike

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Okaaaay. Italian. That explained why it didn't fit anything as well as I would like. In that case the first one is probably a species of Pardosa (the head shape looks right, as does the distinctive eye pattern), but the markings don't fit any UK species, so that one defeats me.

The latest one is a Clubiona, but impossible to do to species from markings alone, whether Italian of UK.
Thanks for sharing the excellent pictures.

Mad Mike

Nomad
Nov 25, 2005
Maidstone
Glad you like them, this is all supposed to be fun. An old friend or offspring was still around

HouseCent_zpsf49a675c.jpg

I think it is now larger but have no idea how long they can live. From any distance it is very difficult to tell which end the head is.

Mike

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Wow! A Scutigera! What amazing beasts they are! I've never seen one in the flesh, and would love to.

As I'm the fool who started this thread, there's sort of a pressure for me to identify things (Geoff Dann gets the same thing on the fungus thread), although I am happy enough to say when I don't know.

Always good to see what people have found though. :)

Mad Mike

Nomad
Nov 25, 2005
Maidstone
At least you are consistent. I 1st posted a house centipede in this thread no 309. It might even be the same individual.

Mike

Last edited:

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
This guy has been hanging out in my workshop for a few days recovering. Saved him from some old spider webs only for him to jump straight into my can of beer!
Poured the daft so and so out and let him dry/sober up on some paper towel. Thought he was a gonner but seems in good spirits today.

Any ideas? Know nothing about moths.

IMAG3681_1_zps26da00de.jpg

Kong

Forager
Aug 2, 2013
Somerset
This guy has been hanging out in my workshop for a few days recovering. Saved him from some old spider webs only for him to jump straight into my can of beer!
Poured the daft so and so out and let him dry/sober up on some paper towel. Thought he was a gonner but seems in good spirits today.

Any ideas? Know nothing about moths.

IMAG3681_1_zps26da00de.jpg

This is a Silver Y moth. I know this because it has an upside down Y marking on the wing.

Emdiesse

Settler
Jan 9, 2005
Surrey, UK
Micrommata ligurina?I heard an almighty shriek from my mum in the kitchen as this popped out of the brocolli she had bought..."I thought this broccoli was from the UK, I didn't realise it was from Spain she whimpered after her encounter"Anywho,Is my identification right? Also, what can you tell me about this spider.As far as I have found out is it's a type of huntsman and it's not really 'poisonous' (so to speak) but it's fangs would pack a punch.

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
it is certainly a Micrommata, but the only species I've ever seen is Micrommata virescens, which does occur in the UK. That one doesn't look like M. virescens though, so you may well be right. I will check.

No risk to people though.

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Hmm, juvenile male, from the pictures, so cannot be sure. M. virescens is the commonest and largest of the genus, and therefore the most likely to be encountered, but there are at least three Spanish species. How long would you say it was, front to back, not including legs? Measure in millimetres please.

Emdiesse

Settler
Jan 9, 2005
Surrey, UK
I wish I measured him! I've let him go now, but from memory and looking at the glass it WAS in.I'd say the length of the body from one end of the abdomen to his eyes was about 7 or 8 mm.

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I wish I measured him! I've let him go now, but from memory and looking at the glass it WAS in.I'd say the length of the body from one end of the abdomen to his eyes was about 7 or 8 mm.

Thanks. Based on that, and it being a juvenile, M. virescens is most likely. I've only ever seen them in Germany, although there are records local to me, and it is near the top of my 'species I'd most like to find in my local patch' list. Beautiful spiders.

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Hmm, springtime bump for this thread. How to start? Well...

I'm a spiders person, so here's a Larinioides sclopetarius orb weaver
13240346393_89ae4d8014_b.jpg

Follow that with this pretty girl, a female Tegenaria spider (missing a leg)
13254007443_f48f38d73d_b.jpg

And finally a Tree bumblebee, Bombus hypnorum.
13228925065_2ca0070d56_b.jpg

So. Whaddya got?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE