The "What is this bug?" thread

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Now that's just being rude, she could at least pretend to be paying attention

For some spiders it is worse. In some cases he gives her something to eat (a wrapped fly or similar) so he can mate whilst she is distracted. It stops her from killing and eating him instead.

In other spiders he survives the process of mating largely because... well... he's so small she doesn't notice it happening :eek:

It is a myth that female spiders will eat the male after mating. The truth is that unless he is careful, she will just kill and eat him.

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Thanks Goatboy. Yes, I saw that when it first came out.

I've also seen the fossil of the largest spider ever found (and there's a life size model of it in Cardiff Museum). 41cm long from mouthparts to the tip of the abdomen, with legs extra.The best bit is that there's nothing in the fossil to indicate that it is an adult, so there is the chance that adult ones were even bigger.

Puts our 'enormous' house spiders (2cm body length at most) into prespective.

leedsbrew

Forager
May 15, 2013
Leeds
Only managed a quick iPhone shot before the phone died! Found him on a hoodie heading for the washer! Never seen anything like this before!

jeru6a9u.jpg

Not the best shot I know! Lol

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Only managed a quick iPhone shot before the phone died! Found him on a hoodie heading for the washer! Never seen anything like this before!

jeru6a9u.jpg

Not the best shot I know! Lol

That is the larval stage of the invasive alien Harlequin ladybird. The native ladybird larva is similar but smaller, and blue instead of orange.

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
034_zps84fb6bb4.jpg

Came across this beastie, anyone ID it for me?

My best guess from google was Fox Moth caterpillar?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE