The "What is this bug?" thread

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Well, it matches up to Emporer somewhat like Harvestman says, but the colour patternation isn't 100%. I thought this would be an easy ID, but it isn't.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Anyone ID'd my dragon yet, or have I got to get off my butt and go to the bookcase and do it myself. Yah lazy boogers.

Jon, I'm fairly confident it is an Emperor (note spelling :)), based on the lack of thoracic stripes.

Here's a picture of a Southern Hawker for comparison. Note the two large yellow patches just behind the head, which are missing in your specimen.

Gentelemen, I'm going to be away for a week from this afternoon, so you may have to be patient, or rely on the several other helpful and knowledgeable people who frequent these pages.

Mad Mike

Nomad
Nov 25, 2005
Maidstone
Shieldbug.jpg

Another one from Italy. Stripes were 'in' that year. Posing on a Fennel seed head.

Mike

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
What a beastie! Looks like Graphosoma italicum, or something very similar.

Just had a quick read through this thread. there are some fantastic pictures of really wonderful wildlife in here. Thanks to everyone for contributing so far. :You_Rock_

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Jon, I'm fairly confident it is an Emperor (note spelling :)), based on the lack of thoracic stripes.

Here's a picture of a Southern Hawker for comparison. Note the two large yellow patches just behind the head, which are missing in your specimen.

Gentelemen, I'm going to be away for a week from this afternoon, so you may have to be patient, or rely on the several other helpful and knowledgeable people who frequent these pages.

Harvestman, you are a gentleman (note that spelling :lmao:)

Mad Mike

Nomad
Nov 25, 2005
Maidstone
What a beastie! Looks like Graphosoma italicum, or something very similar.

Just had a quick read through this thread. there are some fantastic pictures of really wonderful wildlife in here. Thanks to everyone for contributing so far. :You_Rock_

I got to Graphosoma italicum OR Graphosoma lineatum. Realy not sure how to tell them apart:lmao:

Have a good holiday I will look forward to the pictures you bring back (no pressure)

Mike

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
No, I don't know how to tell them apart either!

Please don't look forward to the pictures. The trip away is to visit the in-laws. I'm not exactly keen, but duty calls as its the mother-in-law's 70th birthday.

Mad Mike

Nomad
Nov 25, 2005
Maidstone
Looks newly emerged as one wing is not fully open.( just to make ID easy)

9036.jpg

Possible ID is Convolvulus hawkmoth (Agrius convolvuli). Hoping someone has a better reference than I do.

Mike

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Seems I'm still here (wife taking an age to pack :rolleyes:).

I think the hawkmoth is a privet hawkmoth.

I also think Jon's question about jelly relates to the angle shades moth.

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
Found this chap after leaving the light on and window open - plus a google of midges!

qaqamevu.jpg

Interesting appendage where the bitey bit of a mozzie should be. I assume it will only have a scientific name though?

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Bowlander, I can't make out your insect clearly, but I think it might be a snakefly. I'd like to see a better shot though, or at least an enlargement.

Working on the caterpillar mcniac.

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Ok, all my searches keep returning the answer Fox moth caterpillar, but I'm not yet convinced. Your specimen is too big and not hairy enough. This might take a while.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE