The "What is this bug?" thread

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I have to be honest HM I was googling chrysalis pics and that seemed closest...that said around here, something like peacock, large white, red admiral or painted lady would seem most probable......I've honestly no idea, but would love to know

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Short of googling, I don't know how else you would find out. I try not too google unless I have to, as if I have to do it it means I don't have a clue, and a blind guess isn't likely to be helpful.

Mad Mike

Nomad
Nov 25, 2005
Maidstone
A Comma in a garden yesterday

Comma.jpg

I cannot be specific with this one

CF1.jpg

CF2.jpg

CF3.jpg

Mike

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Red, I went on the UK Butterflies site, and if the number of paired spikes are anything to go by, then yours has 6 small pairs prior to the big one, same as the small tortoiseshell that they picture. Other species have 5 small pairs, but then, I don't know if that is a reliable characteristic. Colour seems to be enormously variable.

My guess is small tortoiseshell, but we won't know unless you see it emerge.

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
A beauty indeed, rather like my wife (she's reading this)...

Is that an Emperor? I'm a bit hazy on Odonata, but it doesn't have any thoracic stripes.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I haven't checked yet. Thought I'd go the lazy route and ask here first. I just bought a splendid new Dragonflies of Britain book too, but it's at my office where it's needed most.

Mad Mike

Nomad
Nov 25, 2005
Maidstone
SB.jpg

Never anm certain with the blue ones

mbg2.jpg

Meadow Brown?

mbg1.jpg

Gatekeeper?

Found only feet apart in the middle of a field

BandedDemoiselle.jpg

A Banded demoiselle I think, or 2

BandedDemflying.jpg

Mike

wattsy

Native
Dec 10, 2009
Lincoln
Okay - my first chrysalis of the year was found today.....would anyone care to offer an ID - I have multiple photos as high a res as you like :) Chryslaiseseses don't run away!

I'm thinking large tortoiseshell?

Chrysalis 2 by British Red, on Flickr

Red

it's a Small Tortoiseshell chrysalis, the Large Tortoiseshell is extinct in Britain with less than 150 migrants recorded since 1951.

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Thanks Wattsy, I thought it was extinct, but doubted myself based on an out of date book.

Woodpoet your spider is the false widow, Steatoda nobilis, although the size that you indicate is rather small. They have an exaggerated reputation for biting people and being dangerous, but personally I wouldn't be in the least bothered having them around.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE