The "What is this bug?" thread

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
What made this sawdust and silk mound?

jehyba4u.jpg

Lots of ladybirds in roundhay park
hu4uza5y.jpg

wattsy

Native
Dec 10, 2009
Lincoln
Mystery caterpillar (edit, I have I.D'd this one but won't say so others can figure it out)

IMG_00672_zps4d4da785.jpg

Last edited:

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
That's a roesel's bush cricket. Quite common in the south east of the UK, but rare in the west. i found only the third Welsh record a month or two ago. The pale edge going all the way around the big scale behind the head is the distinctive feature.

Lovely picture.

wattsy

Native
Dec 10, 2009
Lincoln
That's a roesel's bush cricket. Quite common in the south east of the UK, but rare in the west. i found only the third Welsh record a month or two ago. The pale edge going all the way around the big scale behind the head is the distinctive feature.

Lovely picture.

brilliant thanks, I saw quite a few of them but they were very active so only a couple of pics I had a picture of one chewing some grass but the focus was off :(

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Eek, that's one of those giant New Zealand grasshopper things, I think. A weta. And a birdwing moth. I'd have to google the moth for more info,

Oh yes, an Atlas moth.

Not sure about the thing on your arm though.

Mad Mike

Nomad
Nov 25, 2005
Maidstone
Having trouble with ID on some red/orange little flutters.

Italy again....

1804.jpg

1805.jpg

1839.jpg

1848.jpg

1888.jpg

1890.jpg

Very active all of them. Photos are from yards away instead of my preferred feet away (inches away for good shots)

I think the 1st one could be a Wall. Realy not sure of the others- the local (southern species) of Speckled wood is a similar colour.

Mike

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Right Mike, I'm getting the European butterflies book out, but yes, Clouded Yellow, Wall Brown, and a Comma. As far as I can tell, all three are females.

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
Great thread and I've got one for you. Rescued from the River Beult this guy spent five minutes or so recovering in the canoe before flying away.

Dragonfly.jpg

Rob.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE