The "What is this bug?" thread

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Inspired by Geoff Dann's very successful "What is this fungi?" thread, and by the number of people asking and contributing to threads to identify bugs of all sorts, I thought we might want to start a similar sort of thread for creepy-crawlies of all sorts.

I'm a UK spider expert and a decent enough entomologist, with a smattering of knowlege of other groups, and there seem to be several other people on here with a knowledge of invertebrates, so let's give it a go.

Post up your pics of insects, spiders, centipedes, millipedes, crustaceans, molluscs, worms, and anything else that comes under the general heading of 'bug', and we'll have a go at identifying it for you. Non UK species are very welcome, but obviously will be harder to identify given that most of the membership is UK based.

I'm going to start us off with a few general pics. Feel free to post your own to show, even if you know what it is.

Female Gatekeeper butterfly, also known as the Hedge Brown, Pyronia tithonus
IMGP2050.jpg

Great Diving Beetle, Dytiscus marginalis, somewhat out of context
IMGP2042.jpg

Female Four-spot spider, Araneus quadratus
IMGP2079.jpg

Long-winged conehead (a sort of cricket), Conocephalus discolor. Found this today, for the first time. Rare in my part of the world.
IMGP2058.jpg

Dragonfly. I'm seeking help on this one, as they are not my area of expertise. I think it is Aeshna cyanea, but am not certain, and don't know the common name.
IMGP2030.jpg

So, what is this bug?

Reactions: wookii

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
I'd concur with the dragonfly id.
only 'cos I've looked in my id guide,I'm no expert with them.

Another great thread to start.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Here you go...

25April201051.jpg

Reactions: Spirit fish

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Oy! This isn't meant to be a test!

Oo eck, a larva. I'm not at all sure.

A beetle larva. From the habitat, I'd say a longhorn, or something like Stag beetle, but I don't honestly know.

Help me out, someone?

This one was found under the bark of a dead Beech tree, but i also found one two days earlier under the bark of a dead Oak tree.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Oy! This isn't meant to be a test!

Oo eck, a larva. I'm not at all sure.

A beetle larva. From the habitat, I'd say a longhorn, or something like Stag beetle, but I don't honestly know.

Help me out, someone?

C'mon man, we are relying on you to get stuff right.

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
C'mon man, we are relying on you to get stuff right.

Read the first post. We, the community, will try to identify the pictures. Not me, personally.

:nana:

There are more sorts of beetle in the UK than there are species of snake in the world, probably.

I'll look into it...

Whose stupid idea was this thread anyway? :cussing:

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Bwah ha ha. Suck on that Mr Entomologist!!!

Relying on you for this though, as I don't know and haven't a decent book for reference...

02Mar201220.jpg

Thank goodness for that, an easy one. Herald moth.

(I'm sure I saw that picture before, in your post about caves. i said it was a herald moth there too, if I recall...)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE