The "What is this bug?" thread

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
Ok this is probably an easy one. Some kind of crane fly obviously but I've never seen one with eyes like this before.

cranefly.jpg

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
oddwasp.jpg

Just found this trying to drill a hole in my kitchen window - very determined to get out! I have more pics if required.

Possible ID - Mellinus arvensis Field Digger Wasp

Last edited:

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Ok this is probably an easy one. Some kind of crane fly obviously but I've never seen one with eyes like this before.

cranefly.jpg

This one first. Yes, it's a cranefly, Tipula sp, but the camera angle doesn't show any diagnostic features (the thoracic markings, the tip of the abdomen, and the wing venation at the forewing edge, so it can't be identified better than that. They are a horribly difficult group. I once had to identify a collection of 99 year old specimens for Plymouth museum, using a bad photocopy of an out of date key, and the specimens crumbled to dust if you looked at them wrong.

Last edited:

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
oddwasp.jpg

Just found this trying to drill a hole in my kitchen window - very determined to get out! I have more pics if required.

This is the toughest of the three, but after careful consideration (read: 'relief that someone looked it up ahead of me') I'm going to agree with the diagnosis of Mellinus arvensis.

There are some lovely pictures on here. Well done all.

JAG009

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
oddwasp.jpg

Now am not saying your wrong in your id ,but ( Mellinus arvensis) Field Digger Wasp normally has very yellow leg colouring ,could you put up the other pics ?top view would be good

Jason

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Now am not saying your wrong in your id ,but ( Mellinus arvensis) Field Digger Wasp normally has very yellow leg colouring ,could you put up the other pics ?top view would be good

Jason

I wondered the same thing, but couldn't see a better match. Top view would sort it because of the yellow thoracic spot. I may be imagining it but I think I can see the edge of such a spot in the pic, hence going along with it.

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
One thing gentlemen, whilst this "Can you identify my bug? I know what it is, but do you?" is fun, and I don't mind it at all (the pics are great for a start, and it makes a good site resource for another thing), we just need to bear in mind that we also want the page to be used by those who genuinely want somethig identified.

Good gods that sounds pompous!

Well, let's make sure we don't put anyone off, anyway.

Ok, pomposity over. Carry on.

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
This thread terrifies me, actually. Sooner or later I'm going to make a truly crass mistake.

You start a thread thinking it will be a bit of fun, and then it becomes a responsibility.

Ahh, who cares? It is fun. :)

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net

Jason

Hi Jason - pics uploading as I type. Some are very out of focus, our subject seemed decidedly unkeen on being photographed! It was in an upside-down wine glass at the time which might explain it's agitation - clean one that is!

A proper dorsal shot I didn't manage to get - but there's plenty there to show the yellow legs - halfway there, will post the link to the album when done.

Cheers!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE