The Fiery Pants of Shame - Norwegian holiday/Arctic course report.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
That was a very funny read, and great pictures too.
The museums looked interesting and being close to each other is handy.

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
I'm laughing so much, the tears are rolling down my legs!!

Legs? They may not be tears!

Wednesday: Another casual 'crack of 9AM' start followed by a short walk to an area with deepish snow. Here we learnt about snow shelters. As a group we made a shelter by digging a hole in the snow and surrounding it with snow walls. The roof was made from branches covered with blocks of snow. As ever, we carried spare clothing, food etc even though we were not travelling far.

Snow shelter with pine roof
DSC01219.JPG

Covering the roof with snow.
DSC01223.JPG

Ducky tries it on for size
DSC01226.JPG

We have a cold dinner while Woody lights a fire and has a 'fry up'.
DSC01227.JPG

DSC01228.JPG

After lunch we attacked a tree with our axes. We learnt that the smallest axe worth carrying (IMHO) has a 2lb head and a 60cm shaft.

Ducky makes the last cut
DSC01229.JPG

Notice how a forrester will cut a tree as low as possible to maximise yield while an arborist will cut the tree higher up at a more comfortable height i.e. waist level.

But this is my prefered method of felling a tree, with a saw (preferably with a big 2 stroke motor attached).
DSC01111.JPG

Anyway, after felling the tree we practiced our axemanship by chopping the tree into manageable pieces.
The main lesson for me was that carrying a decent saw, a good sized axe and a strong shovel is never a wasted exercise.

Then it was back to camp for some snap (food).

Pete eats while Chris 'borrows' a Rizla.
DSC01174.JPG

Not having a smoke proof pot suitable for hanging over a wood fire meant that I had to brew-up on a meths stove. It's amazing how snow melted in an open pot over the fire picks up the taste of the smoke.

My brew kit
DSC01214.JPG

Those insulated mugs are great piece of kit, especially for 'Northern Tea-Breathers' like me.
The Brew kit was an Evernew meths stove and windshield, Primus 1.7 litre Etapot with lid and pan handle, foil stand and Aladin insulated mug with lid.

Chris prepares his dinner, baccy with a side order of Rizzla. Notice his custom roll-up making log workbench. We could have used that as a chopping block but no, it was Chris's special rolly bench. For conditions when it is too cold to prepare rollies I can recommend a new type of ciggie known as a 'ready made'. Better still, smoke a pipe. Pipes are usefull for pointing at things and poking young people with when you are telling them about the old days.
DSC011723.JPG

After dinner we went back up to the lake and talked about safety when walking on frozen rivers etc. We also prepped some fishing lines, 4 in total. Fishing is a Marmite subject, you either like it or you don't. I can take it or leave it but it is worth learning the basics. On our return from the lake we split into 3 teams and had an emergency fire lighting contest. I was carrying a flask of fuel so we had a distinct advantage. Then we went back to camp and lit another fire, can't have too much practice!

The day's walking had made my feet sweat so I dried my socks by the fire. It's advisable to remove feet from socks first but I was being lazy (conserving energy). Notice the brown staining on the felt boot liners on the left of frame. I wonder how that happened!
DSC01208.JPG

Attachments

• DSC01214.jpg
    DSC01214.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Vote +1 on the bow saw, if axes were that good the lumberjacks would still be using them :) As you said, even better with a bit of vroom vroom behind them.

Willowisp

Tenderfoot
Jan 6, 2013
Reutlingen, Germany
Thank you very much for this great story, Imagedude! I still have to chuckle from your adventures with the fiery pants of shame :eek:
Have you ever thought about earning your money as a humorous travel writer? You're good at that!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE