The Fiery Pants of Shame - Norwegian holiday/Arctic course report.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
I've had a few requests to publish my thoughts on the recent Arctic Survival Course. I'll be posting my write-up here and will hopefully finish by Easter Monday.

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Sounds good....

The course will have almost as many written accounts as 'Bravo Two Zero'.....:D

I may head over to interview the Norwegian Locals is a few years and then publish another account called the "Real BCUK Arctic course 2012".

Imagedude

Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
Sounds good....

I may head over to interview the Norwegian Locals is a few years and then publish another account called the "Real BCUK Arctic course 2012".

I'd leave it for a few years yet, feelings may be running high...

Imagedude

Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
Ok point taken.....I may wait until the current media interest dies down and start with the local fishermen... You cannot have upset them that much.....:D

Wouldn't be to sure about that; if someone half filled my new 'longdrop' and used all the bog roll I wouldn't be best pleased...

478380_10150686796364725_853749724_9219516_1142294609_o.jpg

Last edited:

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Ha, I knew there had to be more to that trip than the northern lights and worn pulk runners.....

With a deed a henious as filling another mans long drop I'm surprised you boys are planning a return trip...

Imagedude

Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
So where to start? Best to start at the beginning I suppose. As soon as I saw the course dates published I booked my leave at work. I then started to review my kit, as a winter mountaineer I had most of the kit needed but that didn't stop me from buying more kit.
As soon as I had my final kit choice sorted I learnt that the first week's course was cancelled. I needed to fill the time with suitable activities so I asked other attendees about their plans in the hope that something could be planned. This was like herding cats so I booked a week's skiing instead. This meant that I had to take kit that would be suitable for skiing and the advanced course. This is the kit I ended up taking:-
Sleeping kit - I replaced my RidgeRest kipmat with an Expedown 7 mat. The downmats had proved popular on previous courses. My dual sleeping bag system comprised of a PHD Baltoro 800 and a PHD Minim 500 bag. A 3/4 length inflatable mat plus a sheet of 3mm kipmat foam was also packed. Bivibag was a 15 year old Army MVP bag.

Initial sleep system
IMG_0219.JPG

Updated system with downmat inside bivi. A tight fit.
IMG_03113.JPG

Sleeping kit in stuffsacks
IMG_0220.JPG

My boots were Chippewa Arctic boots however I tended to use the Sorel Cariboo as the snow was wet.
IMG_0304.JPG

Socks were mainly Bridgedale, thin socks were various makes of merino wool.
Some socks were a size larger than normal as they were to be worn over thick socks.
DSC00646.JPG

Cooking kit was a Primus Omnifuel and an Evernew meths stove as backup. Food was 3x compo meals per day plus dried food as a backup.
DSC00648.JPG

My pot was a Primus Etapower 1.2L.
IMG_0331.JPG

Main knife was a Mora, penknife didn't get used and the folding saw was replaced with a Bahco 21" saw. The UCO candle holder was a pleasant surprise and now a trusted bit of kit.
DSC00649.JPG

The small axe was replaced with a 2lb/18" splitting axe that I made. It was an effective splitter but a trifle unweildly
IMG_0322.JPG

From my selection of trousers I took my Paramo Aspira salopettes and Brenig fleece/pile salopettes. It wasn't cold enough for the Brenigs so I lived in the Aspira for 2 weeks.
DSC00635.JPG

Merino tops were used for the course, synthetic tops for skiing.
DSC00638.JPG

Can't have too many pairs of glasses.
DSC00650.JPG

Buffalo mitts were great, the only gloves I took were leather Soldier 95 gloves.
DSC00639.JPG

The final selection of upper body kit included the Buffalo shirt and the Buffalo Arctic Parka, a 600gm Woolpower jacket and a merino/possum pullover. Waterproof top was a Paramo smock.
DSC00633.JPG

The kit was fitted into a Pod Xpod sack (80L) and a 70L holdall. Handluggage was a 40L Pod Alpine sack.
DSC00662.JPG

The rucksack was carried in a large tote sack as some airlines don't like rucksacks.
IMG_03271.JPG

I wore a lot of kit too, but not the Buffalo Superbag which got left behind.
IMG_02281.JPG

More later...

Last edited:

Imagedude

Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
I arrived in Oslo on Thursday 1st March. I was booked into the Raddison hotel for 2 nights. Due to the high prices of food I had a duty-free supper.

Drambuie, Haribo and chocolate for supper, the food of kings.
DSC00687.JPG

On the Friday I purchased an Oslo Pass which permits free or discounted entrance to museums and allows travel on public transport. First I went to the Viking Ship Museum.

The museum houses 3 ofthe best preserved longboats.

DSC00744.JPG

DSC00732.JPG

DSC007401.JPG

Viking knife and plate
DSC00705.JPG

Wayland's next pulk
DSC00712.JPG

Next door to the boat museum is the Norwegian Folk Museum which has a large open air site with traditional buildings

DSC00943_1.JPG

DSC00868.JPG

DSC00860.JPG

DSC00854.JPG

DSC00861.JPG

DSC008301.JPG

Birch bark is used for weatherproofing
DSC00828.JPG

Don't think they've got the hang of the wheel yet!
DSC00912.JPG

Old petrol station
DSC00826.JPG

Farmhouse interior
DSC00865.JPG

DSC00863.JPG

Inside the museum is a nice selection of axes
DSC00789.JPG

DSC00784.JPG

DSC00785.JPG

DSC00780.JPG

DSC00782.JPG

DSC00802.JPG

DSC00749.JPG

DSC00751.JPG

DSC00808.JPG

DSC00756.JPG

A couple of old knives
DSC00773.JPG

Last edited:

Imagedude

Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
Inside the museum was a load of old clothes, much like those that Wayland wears:

Felt hat
DSC00810.JPG

Thermals
DSC00807.JPG

DSC00806.JPG

DSC00803.JPG

Carving features heavily in Norway
DSC007681.JPG

DSC007671.JPG

Views from inside a Norwegian house of the 1950's (reminds me of Wales in the 1980s)
DSC00821.JPG

DSC00818.JPG

DSC008193.JPG

DSC00881.JPG

Village gunsmith display
DSC00796_11.JPG

DSC00797_1.JPG

DSC00798.JPG

DSC00799.JPG

DSC007943.JPG

DSC00795.JPG

Imagedude

Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
On Saturday I travelled to a X-country skiing area north of Lillehammer:

The start of a day's skiing
DSC00976.JPG

The end of a day's skiing
DSC00989.JPG

A summer house
DSC01057.JPG

Skiing in the woods
skiing.jpg

On the Thursday the weather turned nasty so we went snowshoeing. Nuturally somebody went **** over tit
DSC01012.JPG

We shoed out to this waterfall
DSC010251.JPG

At the end of the day I was knackered, snowshoes are what you use to wear when you need to fetch your skis from the garden shed.
DSC01000.JPG

So after a weeks skiing I returned to the hotel in Oslo via Lillehammer

Lillehammer
lillehammer.jpg

I had a few hours to kill so I sorted my kit to suit the next week's relatively warm weather conditions i.e. I substituted cold weather gear for waterproofs.

One last kit sort-out, from this
kit.jpg

to this. The yellow holdall was left in storage at the airport for the week.
DSC00688.JPG

Later that night I met C da C at the airport. After dropping his bags off in the room we went back to the airport looking for food. We also went looking for more course members. We eventually found Ted, or more accurately, he found us. We had spotted him earlier but he was sitting next to a dude in jeans and a leather jacket (not course clothing) and we thought that they were a 'pair' so decided that he probably wasn't a BCUKer. Ted obviously realised that Chris and I were dressed for the course so he came over and asked if we were on the course. We set off together looking for (cheap) food but realised that this was a fruitless task so we bought some crisps and went back to the hotel, 3 of us in a double room.

We feasted on crisps and Drambuie.
IMAG0126.jpg

The 3 of us Chris, Bob, Ted; Chris and I were ming monged
IMAG0123.jpg

Last edited:

Imagedude

Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
After 4 hours kip we arose, had breakfast the went back to the airport for our flight to Bardufoss.

Bardufoss Airport, a military base.
bardufoss.jpg

We arrived in Bardufoss before midday on a flight that was full of soldiers. Apparently there was a military exercise happening. The course members got together for the first time at the arrivals lounge, our kit was placed in a van and we boarded a bus for the training area. 40 minutes later we debused in the training area at Odd Knut's farm.

The Firehouse
firehouse.jpg

Adam gets a brew on
DSC01106.JPG

Dumping gear in the firehouse
DSC01137.JPG

Pete having a brew and sorting his kit
DSC01133.JPG

The fire in the firehouse
DSC01132.JPG

Once we got together we realised that there were only 10 of us, Greg was not there and he has not posted on the forum since late last year.
We were all expecting to have an easy day sorting our kit and having a chin wag and numerous cups of tea however things turned out differently. After having a brew we went across the farm to an area with 3 pointy tents. We made the flooring for the tents out of fir branches and twigs from beech trees. It took forever.

DSC01110.JPG

Chris and Gary strip the branches off a pine tree
DSC01109.JPG

Ian prepares some beech twigs for his frosty tent
DSC01116.JPG

Me in the pointy tent
pointy.jpg

Here you see the thickness of the twiggy flooring, it was about half this thick in the bit of the tent I was 'allocated'.
DSC01119.JPG

Chris Da Cat strikes a pose outside the tent
DSC011271.JPG

Chris sitting by the fire near the pointy tents, Ted is standing, Fun Boy Three in the background.
DSC01129.JPG

A somewhat pensive C Da C
DSC011301.JPG

We went back to the firehouse were we had lectures on kit, rucksack packing and a few other subjects too. After being briefed on what to pack and what to leave behind we made our final kit selection. All our selected kit had to be hauled up the road to the final training area so we were quite ruthless in leaving kit behind to save on weight. We then had our evening meal.

Me looking really happy having my first of 20 rat packs that week. Though expensive, rat packs are still cheaper than shopping in Norway.
DSC01131.JPG

After tea, Woody took us shopping to the local supermarket. As Norway is a Catholic country we found the shops closed bar one small corner shop which sold meths and moose sausage. We returned to the camp with our meagre haul.

That's the end of my night shift, I'm going home (via the gym). More later including the Fiery Pants of Shame...

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE