The Earth Moved For Me! (Picture Heavy With Dead Critters)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Too Much Kit To Carry said:
No. Was that the one on Gazza timbers field - mainly organised by Martin and Simon Lucas?

Phil.
I don't believe this....Simon was my best mate at Leigh.....
Yes it was (is) at gazza....

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Klenchblaize said:
Writing this and reflecting on those who perhaps crave similar fulfilment is a sobering reminder to make the most of my good fortune and NEVER take such for granted for tomorrow a very different dawn may break.

Cheers!

Amen Brother....and a wonderful set of ethereal pics

Jon Pickett said:
I don't believe this....Simon was my best mate at Leigh.....
Yes it was (is) at gazza....

Simon used to be a really good mate of mine - I used to get in the pubs in Leigh with him a hell of a lot in the late 80s early 90s. When Simon had his red Audi I had a white Diahatsu Four Track with a personalised number plate FIL *****. Ring any bells??

I bet we know each other Jon and if we do it's your round :lmao:

Phil.

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
dommyracer said:
Nice work klencblaize. Wat sort of rifle do you use for squirrels? Is it sometin small like a .22?

An FAC rated .22 air rifle but it needn’t be.

A standard 12ft pounds one will do in 177, 20 or 22 but get one that is CONSISTENTLY accurate. I’ve had my Theoben Eliminator (horrible name for any piece of kit but there you are) for some years and in truth it is anything but; choosing to throw the odd pellet way out of a group and changing zero as often as I change knives. So it perhaps won’t come as a surprise to learn I’m currently looking at a replacement of the pre-charged variety.

I occasionally use a 22 rimfire but this means being extremely disciplined as in forgoing elevated shots as even if you don’t miss a bullet will pass through a squirrel and easily make it to the nearest town or village which is guaranteed to lose you your licence at the very least. In fact when I applied for the FAC variation to “acquire” this air rifle I detailed my “need” on the grounds of safety. The variation came back almost by return post along with my cheque for the fee I had thought was payable!

Cheers

Silverback

Sep 29, 2006
England
As usual Klench a lovely set of pics and nice collection of tree rats :D

I have gained all the ground I shoot over by reputation both in terms of safety and efficiency in getting the job done. It has taken 20 plus years to gain the trust of local farmers as they do not suffer fools but it has most certainly been worth the effort.

I can't put it as beautifully as you but I make a point of never taking my good fortune for granted and make the most of every single minute whenever I am out!

bent-stick

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
surrey
www.customarchery.net
Hi Klenchblaize,

Just pick your brains if I may.

Given an accurate shot what sort of range would you reckon is the limit for small vermin (rabbits, greys, corvids and woodies) at 12ft/lbs and 30ft/lbs (the rating for your eliminator I think).

I', a fan of underlevers and I've been lusting over the SLR but can't decide whether is is worth the bother of getting FAC over the limited.

David

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
bent-stick said:
Hi Klenchblaize,

Just pick your brains if I may.

Given an accurate shot what sort of range would you reckon is the limit for small vermin (rabbits, greys, corvids and woodies) at 12ft/lbs and 30ft/lbs (the rating for your eliminator I think).

I', a fan of underlevers and I've been lusting over the SLR but can't decide whether is is worth the bother of getting FAC over the limited.

David

People will tell you they regularly shoot vermin at 50 plus yards with a 12ft pounds air rifle, and indeed I understand Field Target competition includes a target at that distance, but hitting something and killing it humanely are two very different things. One of the first things an in-the-field Rifleman should learn is that of judging distance and fortunatley the air rifle is probably the best bit of kit for this as trajectories, even at 24 ft pound energy, are rainbow shaped at 50 + yards.

I really only use my air rifle for squirrels these days and if I take one at 30 yards it is the exception. Most are 20 yards or closer. I didn’t opt for an FAC rated version to enable longer shots but rather to have the comfort of greater penetration that comes with the power increase. I’m afraid even I don’t always make a clean head/neck shot, and if the critter moves at the moment of trigger release, an all too regular occurrence given the nature of old flicker tail, that power can mean the difference between a wounded and lost squirrel and one that at least gives the opportunity of a follow-up shot.

I guess this is a long-winded way of suggesting whatever the power in your air rifle, keep the max distance at around 30 yards. I’m sure there are thousands of airgunners out there who would disagree though.

Cheers

Reactions: bent-stick

Silverback

Sep 29, 2006
England
I think what Klench is politely trying to say is there are thousands of bullsh***ers out there. I think fisherman have had a raw deal in terms of their tendency to be generous with the truth, as I believe the 'Tall Tales Trophy' goes to shooting men every time. I generally find that the size of the game bag and distance of the shot increase proportionately with the volume of alchohol consumed.

I recall an amusing tale relayed to me by my father about a notorious story teller he personally knew who was famous for his outrageous lies. He claimed to have been cleaning his gun in the kitchen one day when he heard a 'Quack Quack' through the open window. He glanced out to see a huge flock of ducks flying towards his house. Deducing that he would not have time to reassemble the gun load it AND get outside to take a shot he assembled the gun loaded it and fired both barrels up the chimney. "Do you know I got 99 of them ducks" he said to his captive audience at which point one person piped up "Are you sure it wasn't a 100". The story teller thumped his fist down on the bar and bellowed "I won't be called a liar for the sake of 1 duck!" :D

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
Nice mess of squirrels and great photos. Sixteen greys! that is a good day's hunting. I believe my own personal record only stands at fourteen - and I thought that was pretty good.

I don't know a thing about air rifles, but even with a .22, 30 yards is about as far off as I care to shoot squirrels. I did have an Anshutz for a number of years that was equal to further off shots. Very precision shooter, but alas, the friend who left it at my place - returned for it 20 years later. I've looked around for one, but they are pricey.

PG

Apr 15, 2013
Notts/Derbys
People will tell you they regularly shoot vermin at 50 plus yards with a 12ft pounds air rifle, and indeed I understand Field Target competition includes a target at that distance, but hitting something and killing it humanely are two very different things. One of the first things an in-the-field Rifleman should learn is that of judging distance and fortunatley the air rifle is probably the best bit of kit for this as trajectories, even at 24 ft pound energy, are rainbow shaped at 50 + yards.

I really only use my air rifle for squirrels these days and if I take one at 30 yards it is the exception. Most are 20 yards or closer. I didn’t opt for an FAC rated version to enable longer shots but rather to have the comfort of greater penetration that comes with the power increase. I’m afraid even I don’t always make a clean head/neck shot, and if the critter moves at the moment of trigger release, an all too regular occurrence given the nature of old flicker tail, that power can mean the difference between a wounded and lost squirrel and one that at least gives the opportunity of a follow-up shot.

I guess this is a long-winded way of suggesting whatever the power in your air rifle, keep the max distance at around 30 yards. I’m sure there are thousands of airgunners out there who would disagree though.

Cheers

I'd agree totally with that klenchblaize, if you want longer range you should move on to a rimfire. The main advantage of FAC rated air rifles is that they hit harder and are therefore more humane for close range vermin control. Great result with the squirrels fella, well done.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE