The Earth Moved For Me! (Picture Heavy With Dead Critters)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Can’t help feeling that if you were out & about on Saturday the earth may have moved for you too. Just a few pictures to prove what a wonderful morning it was here in the South of England. Sorry first pic' is less than perfect but the best I could do with self-timer and camera stuck in a hedge!

I cannot recall a finer morning for hunting squirrels and within 5 minutes of entering the wood I had three in the bag and 7 within the hour. For a change I believe the wee rascals were out of bed and feeding earlier than me. The total was 16 and I now have the makings of a home-baked game pie with more than a hint of varmint!

Just to round things off I somewhat unusually bumped into a Lady walking her dog and if I’m honest my heart sank as experience has taught me that the sight of a camo-clad man with rifle and a bunch of dead things in hand does not always go down well - even when the person shouldn’t have strictly been there. But on this morning the gods were truly smiling as her first words were: “Oh how clever you are to have shot all those!” She then went on to ask if I would like to pop down to her estate at some time and have a go at their squirrels and foxes. I’ve sworn to henceforth be a tad less cynical!

Cheers

DSC02220.jpg

DSC02221.jpg

DSC02224.jpg

DSC02223.jpg

DSC02227.jpg

DSC02229.jpg

Reactions: Justin Time

Angus Og

Nov 6, 2004
Glasgow
Good one, sometimes good things come to those who don't ask for anything.

Enjoy your new hunting ground.

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
Fantastic pics......indeed a great day to be out. I was out beating within sight of the Welsh border and the views were spectacular.... :)

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
We had a good day as well. A reasonable bag for us too.
Cold to start and then warmed up seriously by mid morning.
The pheasants weren't where they were expected to be though - just goes to show how strange nature can be :rolleyes:

mark a.

Settler
Jul 25, 2005
Surrey
That looks really really nice. Sorry, I mean "WOW!"

I was looking after my poorly wife, so didn't get to go out much this weekend, but when I was out and about it was gorgeous. It's feeling properly autumnal, and it always amazes me how quickly the forests change at the this time of year - great stuff.

Klenchblaize said:
Can’t help feeling that if you were out & about on Saturday the earth may have moved for you too. Just a few pictures to prove what a wonderful morning it was here in the South of England. <snip>

If I didn't know better I'd say that view was the valley between Sevenoaks and Bidborough ridge way??

Look like you had a great morning :D

Phil

P

Phantom

some nice pictures :D
let us know what you used the fur for aswell... you could make a lot with that amount
cheers
phantom :27:

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Too Much Kit To Carry said:
If I didn't know better I'd say that view was the valley between Sevenoaks and Bidborough ridge way??

Look like you had a great morning :D

Phil
I tend to agree with you Phil, I used to live in that valley....
Fantastic photo's BTW Klench, twas a wonderful weekend.......

P

Phantom

i wis i lived somewhere in the country side like that :(
phantom :bluThinki

chrisanson

Nomad
Apr 12, 2006
Dudley
good pic's and yes is must be nice to not have disapproving looks just cos you are carrying a gun or some thing that’s no longer breathing.
chris

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Phantom said:
i wis i lived somewhere in the country side like that :(
phantom :bluThinki

At times I may come across as an arrogant and even pompous son-of-a-bitch but I would have it known that there is never a day that goes by without reflecting on my good fortune in having access to this landscape, for in excess of the last 20 years, and the blessing to do what I love most: Hunt with a rifle. It was never always so.

I therefore really can sympathise with the desire/predicament in securing or experiencing something similar. I will not insult this Forum by suggesting ‘desire’ is enough to achieve such. No, One needs more than a little luck and perhaps no less guile. I only wish it were in my power to make this happen for everyone so disposed for I’m sure it would be a small start in making the world a better place.

It will probably therefore come as no surprise that there have been many occasions; when the ethereal mist and low early sun - or indeed the evening chill of an “inconstant” late autumn “moon”, make concentration on the job at hand (stalking/hunting/shooting) impossible at the required level for all but, I feel sure, those given of the coldest of hearts. Such, I would have you know, is my capacity to be moved by a landscape & moment in time that, to describe with bushcraft justice, would require a third meadow of consciousness that sadly I lack.

Writing this and reflecting on those who perhaps crave similar fulfilment is a sobering reminder to make the most of my good fortune and NEVER take such for granted for tomorrow a very different dawn may break.

Cheers!

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Too Much Kit To Carry said:
LOL - I used to go for a pint in the Fleur and the Bat and Ball :D

I used to live in Weald. Not a million miles away! :rolleyes:

Phil.
Like you say, small world....Did you ever go to the party in the field up there.....
Sorry about all this Klench, will go to pm if it continues.....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE