The “Isn't Life Great” thread

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I was watching the Ravens having far too much fun up in the wind and updrafts on the edges in the Brecon Beacons National Park today. Nudging each other in flight, flipping upside down, hitting warp speed as they dive past their mates. I always enjoy watching them.
Saw a few ravens showing humans who's boss in the air as the humans parawing thingies glided around the crinkle crags in the lakes. They flew between chute and flyer upside down clawing at the canopy checking it out. They were really taking the pi$$ out of the humans. Beautiful to see and more than a little bit funny too. Bright birds and full of fun.

Another time we stopped for lunch at a small rocky outcrop. It was the only spot sheltered from the wind and dry in a boggy area. So obviously a common lunch stop spot like why we stopped. As soon as we started eating a bird came soaring in from the distance. Landed on the edge of the dry area near where we were eating our lunch then hopped in to beg for food. I think that raven ate more of our food than we did! Fun to watch.

Another lunch or rest spot on a grassy side of Scafell. A sound like a small toy helicopter came from behind us. We all looked up to see a raven gliding down the slope, over our heads and down the slope less than a meter above the ground. The helicopter sound I think was from loose feathers on the underside of its wings flapping in the wind. It was so close i was certain i could see the individual fibres of some of those loose feathers as they flapped. I could have reached up and touched it I reckon but we were dumbstruck at seeing such a majestic bird.

Reactions: Toddy and Broch

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I have, this minute, been watching one from my lounge window whilst I drank my first coffee of the morning :)

It's quite breezy here today and the Raven is turning into the wind, rising high, banking around then twisting onto its back and tumbling down - it just looks great fun, like a Raven equivalent of a fairground ride :)

Reactions: Toddy

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Just back from a hospital check and clean bill of health, better than that in fact. So now I've got the choice of whether to go into work for half the day or claim I couldn't make it. So free afternoon it is! Not only did I take junior to school and the dog for a nice walk, I'm now going to be able to pick junior up from school afterwards and still have a bit of me time in between. The joys of salary and living a lot further out from work than any other colleague, no chance of being spotted skiving!

I've never done this before so I get one let off, right?

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Sun is shining, washing is out on the line, fresh bed linen on the winter duvet which I've just swapped out for the summer duvet.
Found a pair of leather boots suitable for winter that fit nicely in the charity shop for less than a tenner, almost new, with a nice furry lining.
Had several compliments on my new jumper I've just finished knitting and wore to town this morning.
Home made stew in the slow cooker for dinner this evening.
Fire is laid ready for lighting later, and I have a gluten free cake for supper.

Simple pleasures in everyday life. What more do I need?

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Got up early, spent time journaling for self improvement, exercising and prepping for my day.
There's harmony in the house at the moment - 6 of us here, life's great :)

Reactions: Broch

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Glorious morning here. Sun shining but the valley floor is dense mist glowing white - quite magical.

Today I'm making two bows for the grandchildren to finish at the weekend; I'm looking forward to it :)

Reactions: swyn

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
5 lb of green tomato chutney in the cupboard from yesterday's labour.
Today, another couple of jars of pickled beetroot added, and maple syrup flavoured rice pud in the slow cooker.
Finished another pair of alpaca socks last night, so my feet are toasty.
Another load of clear out to the charity shop, and a good space cleared of things in my spare room. I'm getting there!
No central heating needed so far! The woodburner seems to be coping at keeping the place warm enough.
Gotta be good!

henchy3rd

Settler
Apr 16, 2012
Derby
Glorious morning here. Sun shining but the valley floor is dense mist glowing white - quite magical.

Today I'm making two bows for the grandchildren to finish at the weekend; I'm looking forward to it :)
The dragons breath(cloud inversion)such, beautiful thing.

Reactions: Broch

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
My adult son son went to work today, again. After way way too many years getting kicked back again and again and again... he is now back standing so much taller. He has been feeling like a human being for some 10 days now. While there are many folk who do not want to get a job, there are so very many many more who can not get one, no matter how hard they try. Not everyone who is claiming benefit is scum. If there are a million unemployed and 100,000 jobs , no matter what you do there is still gold left behind on the compost heap of life. So glad he got a chance to shine. NOW life is good.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE