The “Isn't Life Great” thread

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Our local bus has been saved from extinction.
Thank goodness!
Without it we have a £180 pound taxi ride to get to hospital appointments and back, kids couldn't get to college, and nobody could get to a coach or train, unless they got a taxi, or someone to take them, if like me, and many others, you don't have a car.
It was a great worry, and total madness, considering the council's green policy to get people out of their cars and on to public transport.
So hurrah! Big celebration.
Going for a bus ride at the weekend, and taking a friend for a trip out.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Yay - so pleased. Take care of it! We lost ours coz very few people used it. Shropshire is the land the world forgot. We’ve just lost our direct train to London. Luckily (for me) I never intend to go there.

Back to the OP.
Just been out in the rain and had a good time. I’ve become completely adjusted to the wet - it’s great. I’m sorry if you are trying to drill seeds, harrow or get the cattle out but I’m enjoying it.
Don’t know when the tipi will be dry but if that’s my worst problem then I’m fine.

Reactions: Woody girl

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Yay - so pleased. Take care of it! We lost ours coz very few people used it. Shropshire is the land the world forgot. We’ve just lost our direct train to London. Luckily (for me) I never intend to go
For us an hour and a half on a bus, then, two trains to London, via bristol, or two buses, a nd a train, via exeter, or an hour and a half on a bus, then a coach that takes 4 hrs, so it's not a quick trip any more.
But as you say, I don't intend to visit londistan anyway.
Transport is a problem for rural areas, millions spent on new park and ride buses for taunton, but happy to isolate us.
I went on the demo last Saturday, and made some very salient points to the powers that be...... for instance, how does spending on those new buses help us use cars less when we have to drive 25 miles each way to access park and ride, while the bus takes us all the way. I also asked them if they could afford taxi's with their wages, and if not, how did they expect others with less income to do so.
Sometimes it pays to get gobby!
Now we just have to save our recycling centre and library, and post office. We did it years ago, time to fight again.
We do have apathy here too. ....It's a done deal, shrug shoulders and put head back in the sand.
Woody has gone militant! I'll do my best. But if they don't wake up and fight for things, I'll move and leave them to it. Shame it's lovely here.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Just spent another day coppicing and snedding - got soaked, and I'm worn out (keeping one's feet on sloping wet ground is tiring), but feeling satisfied with another good honest day's work.

And, the sun's come out now we've finished :)

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
After fighting to save our local bus, a friend and I decided to support it and took the bus to a tiny little town that we have both never stopped at. I've been meaning to do it for over 20 years!
The first thing we saw, was a lovely craft shop selling hand made stuff and so we made a beeline for it.
After a few minutes browsing, I noticed some socks that I had often bought from a friend I usualy only met at the wilderness gathering. I turned round and looking at the shop lady, she looked vaguely familiar, but much younger... turns out, it was my friends daughter, and there in the back room was my friend who I had not seen, and lost touch with for several years. What a joy!
I spent more than I intended in her shop, and could have spent a good deal more.!
Serendipity. ? I had no idea why I should suddenly take it into my head to visit this place after all this time, and the first shop I go into is her new shop.
It's made me very happy to know she is now almost on my doorstep. (And I have some lovely new handspun wool and silk for new socks, among my purchases)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE