Tesco Ultralite (their spelling, not mine) Mummy Down Sleeping Bag

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
I’m very much a believer in that you generally get what you pay for. Hence why I’ll pay the extra for genuine Maxpedition, Kiffaru, Ventile, SBK, Nikon, Campagnolo, Sidi, Inov-8, OMM, Apple, etc, when it’s things I really want to trust. I guess it’s a military thing where the last thing you want when things are getting hairy is your kit to fail or fall apart.

However, there are times when the budget just won’t stretch as far as it used to and, as a full-time student (when I’m not project managing satellite components in the summer!) I have to be careful with the money.

I do a bit of adventure racing and also entered my first Mountain Marathon, the LAMM (http://www.lamm.co.uk) which was held a couple of weekends ago. If you’re interested in the LAMM (which isn’t really that bushcrafty, I’ll admit) then I wrote an article at: http://www.mightcontainnuts.com/wordpress/?p=1722

Anyway, the LAMM requires you to carry and run with your kit (tent, food, stove, etc) for 2 days and so size and weight become critical. Much of my bushcraft kit is designed for reliability and comfort and so is relatively heavy. Before anyone says it, you can’t just enter with a knife and a pot!

I had pretty much everything I needed except for a sleeping bag. It needed to be warm (enough) and it had to be lightweight and pack down small. There are plenty of down quilts/bags made for ultralight camping but, the price is inversely-proportional to packsize and weight. I then happened to spy the Tesco bag (pictures and description at http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.200-7415.aspx) for a much more reasonable £37 and this is what they have to say about it:

“The Explorer single sleeping bag is ultra lightweight and in a compact mummy style. It has a 290 tog micro polyester ripstop shell with a 290 tog polycotton lining and a 225g/m2 single layer goose down filling. This sleeping bag features a 4-way compression sack and a 2-way reversible zip. It has a comfort rating of +3.8 - +8.3, an extreme rating of -10.6º and is suitable for use from late spring to autumn.”

The first thing I’d like to say is that you’d lose fingers and toes if you used this bag at -10.6 degrees :togo:. God only knows where they got that from! It does pack down small and it is light in weight, however (that's 'light' in weight, Tesco, not 'lite', ***). I’ve heard that the amount of down in the bags can vary so you may want to get it out of the stuff sac in the shop and have a look. It comes with a 2-way zip with a Velcro tab at the top end and you could use it as a quilt (hammock kit?). It has a mummy-style hood with a draw cord. The build quality is OK – nothing special. In terms of what other people think, pretty much all of my thoughts on this bag have been reflected in comments about this bag on other forums.

It has no neck baffle and so, it is good to have a silk liner to use with this bag to keep the draft off your shoulders. It is quite a close fitting bag – I’m 5’10”, slimmish build and I felt pretty snug inside it. That’s great for reducing pockets of cold air but it means you don’t have a lot of room to move around if you’re an active sleeper. The silk liner is a ‘must’, not only for the extra insulation but also because the polycotton lining feels a weirdly ‘clammy’ next to the skin.

So, how did it perform? I used it at an altitude of about 400m, in a tent, in Scotland, on a wet and windy night (12/13th June 2010). I had a Rab silk liner and used a thin OMM sleeping mat. I would estimate the temperature to be around 8-10 degrees C. I woke up a couple of times in the night, feeling a bit of a chill but not ‘cold’ and I went straight back to sleep again – I didn’t lie awake shivering. I think this was mostly because of the fact that there was no neck baffle and my silk liner had bunched below my shoulder level. I wore Ron Hill tracksters, socks and a HH top inside the bag. If I’d had a better sleeping mat, I don’t think I’d have felt that cold at all but that was a weight/comfort compromise I was prepared for.

I think for camping rather than MMs, I’d use a Thermarest and an Alpkit Hunka as an outer layer. I think then that the bag would be OK down to about 5 degrees.

As a late-spring/summer/early-autumn sleeping bag, it is adequate. I won’t be changing it for future adventure races or MMs. As a down bag, for £37, it’s a good deal: be aware of its limitations (keep it dry!) and you have a very lightweight and compact sleeping bag for the price. Good for lightweight trips and warm nights, cycle camping, or any other expedition where weight/size is critical.

If you want to use it at -10 degrees, though, you’re a nob.:nono:

Last edited:

marcusleftthesite

On a new journey
Sep 28, 2006
I take it you're not the biggest of chaps.I have a 46" chest and could'nt do the zip up on mine:( So number one skinny son has got to use.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Thanks for that Mike.

I've been looking at that the past couple of times I've been instore.

Don't think I'll bother due to the constrictions you and Marcus mention.

Tom.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Might be possible - there's not a great deal of down in them, and you might need to do a bit of cut-and-sew at the foot and remove the zip.

Big Geordie

Nomad
Jul 17, 2005
Bonny Scotland
Great appraisal. My experience similar. Mrs BG fits it fine. I'm too big!! Maybe I should take up running again..
Good bag for the money if you have a lighter build.
G

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Great review, covered everything i wanted to know.

I say that the Managing director of Tesco should try the bag personally at -10 and let us know ho whe gets on.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Good review.
I have one and took it to Finland recently. My views are very much the same as yours. I would probably be slightly more generous to it - I would say it is good to +5 in a tent with a thermarest, but I was wearing merino baselayer plus light merino sweater, so allowing for that we have the same conclusions.

It's a good bag though, and weight and pack size are excellent.

Lupis

Forager
Dec 12, 2009
Scotland
Thanks for the review. I'd been thinking of getting one of these as a light summer bag but it looks like it would be too small, so that saves a lot of hassle. :) Now I just need to find one that fits the bill!

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
I think the general consensus is:

Compact and good value for money if you keep it dry, are slim, and don't want to use it below 5 degrees C.

sandsnakes

Life Member
May 22, 2006
West London
I have used one of these for the past 2 years as a summer bag and it has worked well. I have even put it inside a synthetic bag in the winter and effectivly 'boiled to death' at night. A good and useful bit of kit for a good price.
Good review Mike

Sandsnakes

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE