Take to the Trees! A Pictorial Guide to Hammocking

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Thanks John. It's difficult to make judgements based on others experience, but it does seem that everyone who uses a hammock seems more than happy with them. I'm just not convinced that one is for me, though I have no doubt of their comfort. I just kind of like being down at ground level and while I take your rebuttals, I'm not entirely convinced. :)

Easiest solution is for Martyn to come up here and I will take him for a paddle and an overnight in hammocks. that way not only will he never go to ground again but he will buy himself the canoe he needs to finish kitting out that Defender of his properly :p

Now that sounds like a damned fine thing to do, hammock or not. You've done it now John, you may just find me on yer doorstep one day. :lol:

soa_uk

Forager
Jul 12, 2005
Highlands
I'd add my 2ps worth.

I'm an enthusiastic user of the GB hammocks and newbie with my underblanket(s).
I take teenagers out in the hammocks.

Some rarely kip outside; some do a *lot*.
*All* of them are enthusiastic about the comfort of the hammocks.

My lad was camping down at Shell Island and a mate of his had been canoeing up Lock Assynt with my daughter the week before.

My son said "Don't like this tent; be much better off in a hammock."
His mate said "Oh, no, Not another one. Your bloody sister never shut up about how much better hammocks are".

The weights not so bad - my biggest problem is the bulk of the underblanket and my Nanok bag...

I've certainly slept below freezing on the odd occasion with a Thermarest; and am hoping for a decent winter this year to try the underblanket for real...

ol smokey

Oct 16, 2006
Scotland
Great thread and tutorial BR. Thanks a lot for all your tips.
Having not tried an underblanket and also having changed from a DD Hammock to a
Hennessy, I am trying to figure out how I could rig an underplanket and yet leave myself room to enter the Hammock from below. Has anyone worked out an answer to this problem? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Twodogs

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 16, 2008
West Midland
www.facebook.com
Hello all I have read this thread and its very interesting thank you all ,
I have a couple of questions as a newbe hanger ,
where in the UK is the best buy for a Hennessy exploror deluxe at present ?
Are the quilt and under cover still avalible ? and where from ?

Some of you gents have be using the snugpak quilt and under cover for some time now how are you getting on with it ?
Is anyone using it with a hennessy ?

Cheers
Twodogs

Humpback

On a new journey
Dec 10, 2006
1/4 mile from Bramley End.
1. Contact Springfields at Burton on Trent
2. Yes I use this set up in the winter, just have the foot end of the underblanket slightly loose to allow access.

Alan

Bramley End lies just south of Walsall;)

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Hello all I have read this thread and its very interesting thank you all ,
I have a couple of questions as a newbe hanger ,
where in the UK is the best buy for a Hennessy exploror deluxe at present ?
Are the quilt and under cover still avalible ? and where from ?

Some of you gents have be using the snugpak quilt and under cover for some time now how are you getting on with it ?
Is anyone using it with a hennessy ?

Cheers
Twodogs

I use mine with a HH. Superb is the only way to describe it. The underquilt even has webbing loops that match up with the guying points on the HH.

Just push it out of the way to get in and out, the bungies return it to its place.

Lurch, a member on here, stocks them at... http://www.lakelandbushcraft.co.uk/acatalog/Shelter.html

Simon

swagman

Nomad
Aug 14, 2006
Tasmania
Hi guys
I was just wondering is the underblanket wind proof or would you still get a cool back in the wind?.

Swagman

wanderinstar

On a new journey
Jun 14, 2005
Yorkshire/Lancs Border
Yes it is windproof. Extract from Snugpaks website.

"Wind proof to the industry standard of 3 cubic feet per minute (this keeps strong winds out or when used as a lining warm air and loft in)"

bushcraftbob

Settler
Jun 1, 2007
Oxfordshire
I have re-read this thread with interest, i have traditionally been a ground dweller with bivi but after seeing all the recent pics of adders i might invest in a hammock...! ...............Can adders climb trees???

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE