Take to the Trees! A Pictorial Guide to Hammocking

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Steve R

Forager
Jan 29, 2007
Lincolnshire UK
Great tutorial BR.

For my tarp I use a circle of paracord, form prussic on main guy by going through and through with one 'double end'. The double that end over, thread S hook through and attatch to tarp eylet/loop.

i tryed my Hennessy Hammock well first try of any hammock on the wilderness gathering last week and i like em for kipping very comfy

Was using a Softie 3 which after 1/2 hr of a freezing back i had to get out and find my roll mat :( which was fine (semi inflated for flexability) except where i managed to go over the edge so got cold spots. Some under insulation is deffinatly needed.

on another Knotty thing (probably well known any way ) for your guy lines as shown to me by Trapper use a midshipmans or Tarp line hitch also known as a Rolling hitch if on a spar
gives you a sliding guy line and lock in place bit like the prussiks etc you could probably use it above for your tarp in place of the Penberthy Prusik
just tie a short length of cord to the tarp

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midshipman's_hitch

http://www.animatedknots.com/rollin...ge=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=www.animatedknots.com

put a quick release loop in the last hitch if you want

other usfull knot for an end loop thats easy to undo is an angler or perfectionist loop
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angler's_loop

http://www.animatedknots.com/perfec...og.jpg&Website=www.animatedknots.com#Overhand

Oks you can all stop suckin eggs now :D

Knots gotta love em :D

ATB

Duncan

stickbow

Tenderfoot
Aug 11, 2006
Northampton England
Hi There
Great pics of how to set it all up. Where can a person get the underblanket shown?, I think it is a bushcraftUK Snugpak one and looks simple and easy to put on the hammock.

Have fun shoot a stick

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Stickbow,

Yep - thats a "group buy" underblanket that Wanderingstar designs and has Snugpack make up - theres a buy on at the moment under "Group Buys" if you want one

Red

pumbaa

Settler
Jan 28, 2005
dorset
Hi Red ,
I am particuly intrested in your view on the space saving that this combo provides .
My set up is slightly different in that i use a group buy underblanket , a hennie hammock and a sleeping bag as a quilt . My problem is that this takes up about half my vulcan !! I have used the tried and tested squaddie method of standing on top of it in my bergan whilst pulling on the bergan to pack it in , but i cant gain any more room !! I have seen guys turn up to moots with what i would term a daysack . I would love to be able to take my smaller pack , but most of my troubles lie with my sleep system . Have you seen or tried a hennie ? Do you think there is a vast difference in pack size as the hennie has an integral mossie net ?
Good review , its certainly given me food for thought .
Cheers
Pumbaa

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Hi pumbaa

Its still not tiny but bear in mind I'm showing "deep winter" config with moz net, under blanket, quilt, sink, cuddly toy etc.

Compared to a small tent, sleeping bag and mat - its certainly smaller. The only potentially similar rig would be a hooped bivi, mat and bag in my view. Think of the volume that a mat alone occupies! Sleep systems are alwayd a pig. The nice thing with this is that, although bulky. I don't find it heavy - no poles etc, thin tarp etc. All the bulk is warmth.

Red

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Cheers for this. Been wondering what the underblanket/quilt set up was like. Got a DD, Take it this set up will be fine with that?

Hi Red ,
I am particuly intrested in your view on the space saving that this combo provides .
My set up is slightly different in that i use a group buy underblanket , a hennie hammock and a sleeping bag as a quilt . My problem is that this takes up about half my vulcan !! I have used the tried and tested squaddie method of standing on top of it in my bergan whilst pulling on the bergan to pack it in , but i cant gain any more room !! I have seen guys turn up to moots with what i would term a daysack . I would love to be able to take my smaller pack , but most of my troubles lie with my sleep system . Have you seen or tried a hennie ? Do you think there is a vast difference in pack size as the hennie has an integral mossie net ?
Good review , its certainly given me food for thought .
Cheers
Pumbaa

I use the HH (well just started) and in snake skins it coils nicly at the top of my bergan my Softie 3 is little bigger than a bag of Flour even the 10 aint massive
but the Roll mat is my problem it a cheapo thermarest imatation and takes up 1/3 of the bergan main 55ltr compartment :yikes: i can get it a little thinner but this requires many rolling ups my old cut down comedy exersize thin foam job is only just bigger than a flask of coffee with basha polls in the middle but wont cut it in a hammock as it dosnt cover enough area

im looking at the under blanket but also the Hesnnesy Super Shelter system as a solution to a warm back and a smaller pack :confused: difficult to choose.

ATB

Duncan

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
Just to note - I did this thread to show me trying out the prototype quilt.

My unbiased advice is, if you have a hammock, get an underblanket and order the quilt quick while you can!

They transform something that is useful but can be awkward (with slinding mats and wriggling into and out of sleeping bags) into a really adaptable, comfortable, warm and convenient system.

"Red Recommends"

Red
Many thanks for that thread very informative

CheeseMonster

Forager
Dec 11, 2006
Shropshire
Cheers on a very informative guide red, i'm a complete novice when it comes to hammocks but have been getting ever more tempted to try it out. Main worry was investing in the wrong thing and wasting my time but this forum, and this guide, has been a big help in seeing how it all fits together :)

Would you say a 3 by 3 tarp is about as small as you'd go? I was looking at another thread on here and there was a link to http://www.mosquitohammock.com/ where they have a 2.3 by 3m tarp which looks like a pretty good start but then again i've never had to use one in a a serious downpour. your thoughts?

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
CheeseMonster,

I reckon that'd would be fine - a bit less space underneath and you might have to pitch with the sides a little steeper, but I have known people use smaller than that. Its a lways a weight / space trade off by 70cm won't make that much difference

Addo - never used a DD hammock, but when it comes to an undeblanket, provided that its vaguely hammock shaped, I can't see why it wouldn't work - the underblanket is long to keep your body warm and has loads of adjustment in the elasticated cords so I'm reasonably sure it would work.

Red

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
Great write up and very comprehensive.

I my set up is similar but different in almost every way :p but that's what keeps it interesting and allows for lots of chat round fireplaces on different options.

A few of my differences.

I have carabiners at the ends of my hammock but mine are big enough to go right through the ends of the hammocks so I do away with the short lengths of cordage.

I tie a falconers knot to both trees and then tie the tape to the carabiners of the hammock with more falconers knots. this means if I want to adjust the tension of the hammock I can redo the knots at the ends of the hammock, which will be conveniently under the tarp and out of the rain ;) (I live in Scotland remember)

I have a ridge line running between the carabiners on my hammock and this is what suspends my insect net (so I have the tabs in the inside of the insect net). This means my hammock set up can be independent of the tarp ridge line and so can be as far away from the tarp as I want. Also in sunny Scotland the only time you are likely to be able to use a hammock without a tarp, you will be eaten alive by midgies.

Of course both of these are the way I did things before I changed to my new method discussed here

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17893

Still not sure which I prefer through.

As to the underbalnket I am a big convert. So much so that I forked out for a down version but the group buy version is very hard to beat. The down one really just has the advantage of pack size and weight.

Page 2 of this thread shows my detailed method for attaching the underblanket. Again this is with my new hammock hanging option but works just the same with my original way.

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15711

A few general comments.

Climbing tape is worth every penny in my opinion. I have seen a lot of people use webbing of various sorts but have yet to see one that does not stretch at least a bit. When you use climbing tape your bum is the same distance from the ground when you wake up as when you went to sleep ;) My two daughters can fight to the death in my hammock set up and I know whatever else happens the tape is not going to break.

Tarp length. I think for group buy hammocks 3.5m long is the ideal length. 4m is good and what I use but 3.5 is my kind of minimum. In saying that I have used 3m tarps lots of times and in really bad weather in fairly exposed spots and stayed dry but I was not very confident. Width wise 2.5m would be fine but I like the extra room 3m gives me.

Now just to clarify I am not criticising Red's way of hanging the hammock and I am sure Red does not think I am. I am just giving alternatives. There is no one right way to set up a hammock ;) Of course there are thousands of wrong ways :D

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Thanks John!

Always glad to have another take on things - as you say theres no "right" way and I would be pretty foolish to believe the way I do it couldn't be bettered - I'm sure it can. I really only did this as I promised Ian to take some photographs of the quilt and it seemed since I was taking the pictures I might as well do the whole set up. I did try to keep it both "simple" and "modular" on this set up (i.e. showing how you can purchase and attach bits of gear one piece at a time). This did preclude your integrated method (whic, for the record, I think is a great idea). I'm sure in 20 years time we will still be refining! The tarp thing can run and run - square, diamond, rectangle, apex or asymettrical etc. Its all good fun though!

Any real praise goes to you and Ian for running the buys - I know how much work is involved!

Red

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
I use the HH (well just started) and in snake skins it coils nicly at the top of my bergan my Softie 3 is little bigger than a bag of Flour even the 10 aint massive
but the Roll mat is my problem it a cheapo thermarest imatation and takes up 1/3 of the bergan main 55ltr compartment :yikes: i can get it a little thinner but this requires many rolling ups my old cut down comedy exersize thin foam job is only just bigger than a flask of coffee with basha polls in the middle but wont cut it in a hammock as it dosnt cover enough area

im looking at the under blanket but also the Hesnnesy Super Shelter system as a solution to a warm back and a smaller pack :confused: difficult to choose.

ATB

Duncan

i think the thing to think about with the HH super system is you will still have to carry a mat of some sort to go under you as far as i can remember of the HH system, i have a HH and use the G.B. underblanket which has served well so far i may have some more fiddeling to do to get it just right everytime and also with the HHsuper system it wont fit the snake skins unless you got the super size ones (size 4 i believe). hope this helps.
weekender

i think the thing to think about with the HH super system is you will still have to carry a mat of some sort to go under you as far as i can remember of the HH system, i have a HH and use the G.B. underblanket which has served well so far i may have some more fiddeling to do to get it just right everytime and also with the HHsuper system it wont fit the snake skins unless you got the super size ones (size 4 i believe). hope this helps.
weekender

yes the basis of the Super shelter system is a second skin of material under slung but it Does have a thermal pad with it you put in for insulation and you can up this by add in anything really from a space blanket to your jkt or leaves etc
the Pad supplied dosnt look much as you can only see it in the HH demo vidios but it dos pack very small and i like the idea that you can use other stuff you probably carry anyway like a jkt etc or stuff you find on site leaves etc
and yes you need bigger skins normally the next size up but they arnt that big the top cover seals the cocoon all for 14 oz
currently a Set of skins is free with the SS insulation system and thats only about £75 ish ea shipped for 2 off so not much differnce in price with possibley more flexibility ???
a real PITA when you cant try em :rolleyes: cos the mat supplied does look thin :eek:

trouble is i think im going to miss the GB underblanket any way :( and as its hinted thats the last one the HH SS maybe the only option left

ATB

Duncan

A

Alex.W

I was just wondering, do you think you swing more with one line on each end of the hammock rather than 2 going round the tree like on a DD (if you know what I mean)

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I think I'm being stupid here but do these set-up rules apply to all hammocks? I've got a Woody/Bushcraft Expeditions one which seems generally similar with the exception of the screwgate crabs. Am I right in assuming that these are required to attach the underblanket?

It's a great tutorial. I just need to tweak it to suit the hammock/tarp/netting combo that I've got.

Many thanks for any help.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Nope, you don't need the crabs. They just make attaching and detaching things quick and secure. The hammocks aren't supplied with them (they come with a metal hook that I removed and replaced with the karabiner)

Red

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE