Sweetened Condensed Milk

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Nestle Sweetened Condensed Milk is of offer at Tesco, 50p a can :)

Very useful stuff, I like it in fresh coffee (I know Ian, you don't), its good with fresh fruit salad, great in cheesecake etc

If like me you use refillable 'squeeze tubes' it good for camping and will stay fresh several days in the tubes.

I picked up 34 cans last week and daughter just got me 22; I'll go Friday for more. Good for long term storage and lasts longer in the can than evaporated milk. Ideal for 'preppers' and campers alike.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
56 cans of sweetened condensed milk.

Dentists everywhere will be having nightmares :yikes:

Who cares? I'm with you :You_Rock_

Do you not clean your teeth? lol. Sweetened Condensed Milk, hereafter known as SCM is a great way of getting an energy boost :)

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
Castleford, West Yorkshire
Thank you :D

It's the crucial ingredient in the best sweetie on the planet, real Tablet :D

M

We had real tablet when we were married in Gretna a few years ago. It was superb. I've tried following so called tablet recipes online, but they've all been garbage.
I have a huge pot to cook the stuff in, as I've made good fudge in the past, just can't a recipe that tastes like the real stuff.

sent from my Jelly Bean'd galaxy nexus.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
It makes the best caramel too....BB uses the light carnation scm. Done a little less time than for full caramel and then blended with home made frozen yoghurt. MMMMM

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Between two slices of bread & butter; an energy doorstep!
t2801.gif

DFCA

Nomad
Aug 11, 2009
Monmouthshire
I'm sure it's this that Wayland (many years ago now) introduced to me left simmering in a cauldron - wrapped in discreet linen - to give the most amazing sugar boost on bread at the end of a hard days re-enacting. If it is, then there is little better to satiate the soul before moving on to a cordial camp fire beer :) happy days indeed!

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Its actually quite nice to just swig :)

As kids we had it over tinned fruit with the syrup. We would then go mental for a few hours!
Those where the days.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Between two slices of bread & butter; an energy doorstep!
t2801.gif

You northerners are tight fisted buggers, do it right, two slices of crusty bread, unsalted butter or better still clotted cream spread on the slices, then thick sliced strawberries...then SCM; thats a sandwich :)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
You northerners are tight fisted buggers, do it right, two slices of crusty bread, unsalted butter or better still clotted cream spread on the slices, then thick sliced strawberries...then SCM; thats a sandwich :)

Afterthought and untried but this could work very well in Pitta pockets...new fangled things you see in Tesco...would perhaps cut down on the SCM drip :) Certainly stops the tomato juice and salad cream dripping from a corn beef filled one.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
HWMBLT's tablet recipe's on the forum somewhere. I'll find it.

However, if you crush some digestive biscuits and stir in melted butter, and press the moist crumbs into a lined baking tray, then take a can of SCM and boil/simmer it for an hour or so, it'll come out toffee like. Carefully!!! open the can and spread the toffee over the butter/digestive crumb mixture. Put it aside to cool. Now melt some good (not the carp cooking chocolate, that stuff's dire) chocolate and pour it over the top. Cut into squares. You've made millionaire's shortbread :D and that's about the biggest sugar rush on the planet apart from the aforementioned tablet :D I've made it at camp using a non stick frying pan instead of a lined baking tray, it comes out cake shaped but it slices into wedges just fine :D

cheers,
M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
My search led me to this thread first :) I've just laughed myself to tears, I can just see Eric doing this :D :D
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40872

The recipe HWMBLT wrote is:-

Scottish Tablet.

Ingredients
1kg bag of sugar
½ can of sweetened condensed milk
125g of butter
1 cup of milk or water
Method
Butter a tray ready for the tablet.
Have a mug of cold water ready for testing
Put all the ingredients in a high sided pan.
Stir continuously on a medium heat until all the butter has melted and the sugar has dissolved.
Turn the heat up a bit.
Boil stirring continuously until when some of the tablet is dropped into cold water and you push it with your finger it forms a soft ball.
The tablet should be light coloured not brown. It is better to take it off the heat too early rather than too late. You can always reheat it if its too soft.
Stir the tablet vigorously until it becomes thick . If you cool the pan in cold water this saves you getting a sore arm.
Pour the tablet into the buttered tray to set.
Enjoy scraping out the pot.
Bribe somebody else to do the washing up. :rolleyes: (usually the fee for being allowed to scrape out the pot)

This is the good home made stuff but it doesn't keep very long. The commercial stuff is boiled to rock hardness and though it keeps very well I think it loses a lot of the flavour.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
My Tescos are only doing evap for 50p not the SCM :(

Just checked online and it up to £1 a can !!!! this must have happened in the last day or so then :( It was around £1.40 so £1 ain't that bad although my plans for more are scuppered. I'll pop down tomorrow anyway and check the instore price. Perhaps the rush in sales from preppers going in and clearing the shelves the last week or so pushed the increase lol.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE