Sugar - from seed to spoon

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Mountainm, about 10%....but that can and will be improved.

Santaman - white chemical cack is much more prevalent now - and cheaper

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Absolutely fantastic, well done.

What sort of percentage of food (roughly) do you eat that you've grown yourself say throughout a year?

Any plans to raise and utilise livestock other than the bees?

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
We are nearly there with veg if you exclude "bulk carbs" - so I do buy rice and main crop spuds (which cost me about £8 for 100Kg which is enough for a year). Our orchard is only a couple of years old but in another 2 years 20 fruit trees, 10 nut trees (walnut, cob nut, sweet chestnut), 100 square ft of strawberries and the same of gooseberry and rhubarb should get us nearly there for fruit. I have not done grains yet - but will be next year. We also hope to add meat and laying chickens next year. At that point we run out of room although I might squueze in a couple of weaners at some point. I think we need about 12-15 acres for complete food and fuel independence - I would like to work up to that - but it doesn't mix with working!

Red

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Sounds fantastic but also sounds like a lot of hard work.

I can't remember from your house renovating thread, are you on the grid for electricity?

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Currently yes for lighting and the central heating pump - we have wired it for off grid supply - only time and money stand in the way of going off grid :)

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Today was painting render (or trying to in the rain) to get old barn walls weatherproof before the frost finally finishes off the bricks with split facings this Winter....ahhh the glamour :)

Still - we did resurrect a chimney in that barn .......possible man cave conversion!

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Today was painting render (or trying to in the rain) to get old barn walls weatherproof before the frost finally finishes off the bricks with split facings this Winter....ahhh the glamour :)

If the barn contains hay or anything that produces heat and moisture the vapour will go through the wall and condense out on the inside of waterproof paint.
Then it pulls the face of the bricks/render off when it freezes.

Its not usually water getting in that's the problem, its usually* water vapour trying to get out that causes it although if the guttering is knackered it will cause problems.

I'm a big fan of roofs with big overhanging eaves as well but we don't seem to have them much in the UK, possibly due to not having much space in general.

*Not always admittedly.

Trunks

May 31, 2008
Haworth
Great post Red. It has made my morning reading your tutorial while I have breakfast :)

Sent from myPhone

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
If the barn contains hay or anything that produces heat and moisture the vapour will go through the wall and condense out on the inside of waterproof paint.
Then it pulls the face of the bricks/render off when it freezes.

Its not usually water getting in that's the problem, its usually* water vapour trying to get out that causes it although if the guttering is knackered it will cause problems.

I'm a big fan of roofs with big overhanging eaves as well but we don't seem to have them much in the UK, possibly due to not having much space in general.

*Not always admittedly.

I suspect the complete lack of gutters, total lack of damp proof course whilst standing in the fens and a few other things are more to blame in this case.

The paint isn't waterproof either don't worry - the weatherprrofing I need is against rain penetration and subsequent hard frosts - but decent render and Sandtex will get me there - and still let the damp out :)

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
On all our "self sufficiency" experiments I like, if possible to "close the circle" by starting with seed and getting back to seed.

Given sugar beet are biennial, I have left a number (probably far too many if our parsnip experience is any guide) to go over to seed. I'm pleased to note the large storage tubers are putting up second year growth now

Sugar Beet for seed by British Red, on Flickr

Second Year Growth on Sugar Beet by British Red, on Flickr

I have no idea how tall this will grow - almost all sugar beet seed is imported. Time will tell if we can get viable, true bred, seed.

Here's hoping!

bigroomboy

Nomad
Jan 24, 2010
West Midlands
I hope you do get some Red. On a side note, have you ever come across wranglerstar on youtube? he reminds me of an American version of you, may be of some interest.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Another little update on the project...we have flowers forming on the sugar beet :)

I suspect they are going to get tall so I have added a little wind protection - I'll increase its height if they keep growing.

Sugar Beet Flowers by British Red, on Flickr

I know beets cross easily but no-one else round here seed saves - or grows much beet - so I hope to keep them "clean". As the flowers open I may net the whole bock over to ensure I get no cross polination. A fine net should do it as they are wind pollinated rather than insect.

Red

Turnstone

Apr 9, 2013
Germany
Just discovered this. I never thought that it is possible to make sugar at home (but thinking about it, why not? It's "just" a lot of work...), so thanks for sharing this!

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Thanks Gray :) I am into my second year of entertainment from a packet of seeds - lots of fun and learning and research and experimenting...all for a few pence - if I had the time and space, I could do this stuff for centuries....shame I don't have a few extra lives to play .....oops I mean study!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE