Condensed milk and cream

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Soul food rocks!
I hope I do not get accused of Cultural Appropriation though....

Cassava cake is fabulos too. Not good for the waistline though.
Contains lods of condensed sweetened milk, evaporated milk, coconut milk, coconut cream......
Sounds good?

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Soul food rocks!
I hope I do not get accused of Cultural Appropriation though....
It would be difficult to "appropriate" foods that are fusions by their very nature. Particularly with Soul Food and Caribbean food. Or with Soul Food and Southern Food. They all draw heavily on each other and own foods (crops) the slaves brought from Africa and those native crops we can grow in this climate.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
You never know these days....

I love trying cuisines from different cultures. I also like to know the background, warts and all!

Okra. Why they brought those over from Africa - I just do not know.
Virtually tasteless with a slimy inside. Thickens soups and casseroles I have been told. Right.....

Pickled Ocra is a good substitute to Polish pickled gurkins though.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Okra is best when harvested young (when it's mature it doesn't just get tough, it also gets stringy) The absolute best way to eat it is the Southern/Soul way fried (dredged in cornmeal before frying)
fried-okra.jpg

Tying for 2nd best way would be stewed with tomatoes (also the Southern?soul way)
3743tomatookra.jpg

or in Gumbo (the Cajun way)
new-orleans-creole-gumbo.jpg

Of course pickled (spicy pickled) okra like you mentioned is great too!
PR0797_1024x1024.jpg

srod

Forager
Feb 9, 2017
argyll
Bushcrafter’s second best friend, condensed milk!

Or if you are a connoseur, condensed cream!

I love condensed milk. A tin, cut two opposing holes, a larger one and a small one, a nice small intense fire, and sip away!
Good in both tea and coffee too, even if I personally drink my hot beverages milk free when in civilisation.

I do a quite a bit of sea kayaking. It can be hard to take in enough calories on expeditions when you're paddling all day.

I have a friend who swears by drinking a whole can of the stuff in the morning after breakfast before a long trip. I haven't tried it yet but I have a few cans in my stores for the next voyage. There's something like 1000 calories in a can that is fairly compact, so it seems like it would work quite well!

Reactions: Toddy

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
" There's something like 1000 calories in a can that is fairly compact, so it seems like it would work quite well! "

For many years, certainly during the 1950's, 60's and 70's emergency rations in a ship's lifeboats included "16 ounces of sweetened condensed milk " for each person for which the boat was certified to carry, formed part of the boat's emergency food rations. Measured amounts of Barley sugar sweets, biscuit and fresh water for each person completed the ration.
It was looked on as essential high calorie food for anyone adrift in a ship's boat awaiting rescue.

I'm not sure what the rations carried are now, although I suspect a form on waterproof paper and advice on whom to sue for the sinking is included...:D

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
MSG is a well known taste booster, but the combination fat and sugar is not far behind. Hence all tasty foods are high in fat and sugar.

I am Lactose intolerant, but tolerate Condensed and Evaporated Milk fairly well.

I find the quality in Condensed milks vary between brands, but the Evaporated milks are quite consistent in taste.
One stands out in my taste: The Norwegian brand 'Viking Melk'. It is carefully crafted for the discerning Norwegian connoisseurs.
Has a very nice label too!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I'm lactose intolerant too, and I can't stomach evaporated or condensed milk :sigh: Incredibly nauseous with it. I can manage a tiny wee bit of Himself's tablet, and then it's too much. Lovely stuff, just very ick making.

Carnation milk is definitely the evaporated milk of choice in my household. I did try them with other brands, but the Carnation one wins hands down. It's like Campbell's condensed soups; others don't quite work somehow.

M

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
MSG is the sodium salt of Glutamate/Glutamic acid, which is one of the 20 common amino acids found in proteins. You need that.
Glutamate is also a potent neurotransmitter substance. An overdose is bad news for the nervous systems of many people.

Suppose you're looking for lots of energy. Fast, right now or over the next few hours?
1. Protein are digested into amino acids. Energy from those is a big cost to get at and you have to
pee away all the waste nitrogen. Steak and egg breakfast is silly.
2. Fats/lipids/triglycerides > fabulous energy reserves in the chemical structure
but you have an enormous energy demand to get your metabolism to do high volume processing.
3. Carbohydrates.
Simple ones, the sugars, can be loaded straight into your central metabolic pathway and trashed for their energy content.
Complex ones, the starches, need those extra front steps in metabolism to chop them up into the simple sugars.
As this takes some time, these are the fuel for the day. Some athletes refer to this as "carbo-loading."
Oatmeal, breads, even pastas and rice are your first meal for an active day.

I'll suggest that the pastas, together with the canned and condensed milks, are good starters.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
You got it, Toddy. The sugar is the quick energy, the oatmeal carbohydrates keep you going.
If you prefer using a condensed or canned milk in the porridge or in morning tea & coffee, so be it.
All good day starters. I can't quite come at pasta at 7AM but why not?

Me? Just had 4 smallish pieces of toasted bread with peanut butter and dollops of really pungent
raspberry jam (seedless to my delight). Because of the sweet jam and my low energy needs today,
the very large mugs of coffee had less than 1 tsp each sugar.

Right now, we are getting big Navel oranges from a California orchard, Booth Ranches.
Sweet as honey. The homemade raspberry jam is an exception.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
I like Rice porridge. I like Oats porridge ( from rolled oats) too.

Jam/preserve and lactose free milk on top.

Breakfast? Vasa and Fazer rye crackerbread, with butter and cheese. Jarlsberg, Finlandia, even the US stuff called Kakauna.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Right now, the Booth Navel oranges are so good, I pay little attention to the price.

Imagine a yeast dough spiral cinnamon bun, stuffed with heaps of dice apple, cinnamon & sugar.
The thing is about 8" diameter and 2" thick, a heavenly, sweet yeast bread foam.

Deep fry that puppy and eat it. Maybe 10% cooking oil instead of added butter. Saves time.
That thing will sit in your gut like a concrete block, for the rest of the day. I love it.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
And will form a concrete like lining in all your arteries!
:)

We are getting Calif and Florida oranges too now. The Florida ones look horrible this year ( just as tasty though).
I love the Red fleshed oranges. Plus Blood oranges.
Food for Gods!

Adam thought so too.

Reactions: santaman2000

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Damn it ! The English are right !!!
We ought to be taking our porridge with sugar :cold2:

:D

M

Demerara sugar for crunch, Lyons Golden Syrup, a nob of good butter, a splash of double cream, and a pinch of salt is the way. Needless to say, it's not an everyday breakfast, but that's my dads favourite way to serve porridge. We always grew tonnes of soft fruits so had gluts of jam. Watching him spoon the best part of a quarter jar on his hunk of wholemeal bread amazes me to this day. He'll be hitting 90 in May. :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I was thinking the same thing.
I just could not eat my porridge like that.

I don't even put milk in mine, just water and a bit of salt, and I don't like rolled oats for it either. I soak the meal overnight and bring it slowly up to a boil the next morning.

I just don't have a sweet tooth that way. I do like and eat a lot of fresh fruit though.

M

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Mum used to give me a Austrian no-cook porridge for breakfast.
Soak (rolled ) oats in water overnight in the fridge
Just before eating, grate an apple and mix in. A generous table spoon of Powidl ( Austrian slow cooked plum preserve).

Worked as I am 2 inches taller than anybody else in my family, going back 3 generations.

Some German health guru did something similar, but removed the powidl and added nuts I think. Germans like to overdo it, specially if the original is Austrian.....

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Toast was no more than the launching pad for a rocket ship of strawberry jam for my Dad.
But, he had his mush/oatmeal, 12 months of the year, every morning. Just a little milk.
Bedtime was a bowl of cold cereal with milk which he shared with the cat.

If you de-construct what Nice65 recounts about his Dad's breakfasts, there's a lot of nutritional truth to it.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Im going to be sick.

:lmao:

Sorry R, it's just his way. He's a jam rolypoly and cream type, brought up on suet and stuff. My porridge is syrup, demerara, half a pint of double cream, half pack of butter melted on top. For health reasons I leave out the salt and keep a bucket to one side. :tongue:

:sorrysorry:

Reactions: Janne

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE