Svord knives.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
080804013.jpg

I have just been testing and evaluating a new knife with a view to stocking it and I thought people on here might be interested in the results.

The knife itself is hand made by Bryan Barker of NZ and is called the Svord drop point. 4 3/8 inch Carbon steel blade which is square at the spine and castes the best shower of sparks from a fireball firesteel I have ever seen, I even ignited a green birch feather stick with them!

Handle is mahogany and is shaped similar to a kitchen knife but is surprisingly comfortable to use - tang is full with the centre being alined with the tip of the blade for strength. The spine isn't wide (2.5mm) and thus is good in a utilitarian role while still remained strong.

The blade itself is convex ( :yikes: ) and initially this was a thing I disliked as I like so many people have grown used to the flat grind. However I am a convert - convex is the profile for me! Why? Because not only is it the most commonly shaped blade profile found on 'primitive' tools but being shaped similar to an axe head the edge is tough as old boots, I even used it the reduced a wrist thick beech to kindling and the edge was still shaving sharp. For carving, forget the myth about flat grind biting better into the wood, the convex blade was equally as good and impressed me a great deal.

Sharpening - this is a little trickier as it requires a practiced eye to maintain the correct angle but once mastered isn't anything to worry about - incidentally I also found the edge was easily touched up with a GB ice hockey puck stone meaning one stone is ideal for knife and axe.

Not yet available in this country the knife reminded me of the type of knife often traded by mountain men and native americans another reason I liked it - it is rugged and practical yet with an olde stitched charm but more importantly it is an extremely good knife!

The only real down side to it knife is the sheath - this is deep shouldered and leather and is a similar design the the WL sheath but lacking fire steel loop another reason for it reminding me of the mountain men who wore this type of sheath all the time. Problem here is that while the leather is thick and of good grain the belt when passing through the loop is (theoretically exposed the the blade as drawn. This is due to the fact that there is no sown in leather wedge here. Having said that I used the sheath without problem.

Over all an extremely good knife and one that will (reluctantly) replace my Mora as my daily work horse. Although I might make it a new sheath.

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Is this it: http://www.svord.com/pages/catalog/DP.htm

Nice looking blade Gary. I certainly like the handle style. Looks well built and solid.

I've read a lot about convex and concave grinds recently and how many people seem to be converting to them. My main gripe with them is one of sharpening. Yes, sharpening a convex isn't a big deal if the edge is just a little dull but wait until you have edge damage or after a few sharpenings and you end up with a convex edge that you either have to reprofile as a single bevel or regrind the convex edge from scratch. Either way it's a bigger job (as far as I'm concerned) than a single bevel. The other thing I really like about single bevel is the fact that, as long as it's done right, the edge of the blade is the same after each and every sharpen.

Nonetheless, a nice knife!

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Good points mate and as yet I have no answers as I am a convex virgin. :redface:

Maybe Sargey could lend some advice here as I think his knowledge far out strips mine.

Although as I say the convex profile (once I got used to it) does seem easy to sharpen and all I can go on (at present) is my axe which is still convex after many moons of use and sharpening.

I remember once seeing a guy sharpening a golok on a sand stone block which was so worn it was the perfect shape for a convex blade - indeed the golok was convex from repeated sharpening, maybe, with the popularity of convex blades we need to re-invent one of these too!!

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Ahh, the advantages of sharpening on a softer stone - the stone wears to the shape of the grind!

Good point that - with huge enphasis on ceramic and diamond hones, there are advantages too to using established methods and materials! :biggthump

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
for convex knives i just use a stropping action on wet'n'dry on a mouse mat. hard side up or soft side up depends on the blade profile, usually soft side up for axes and hard side up for knives. don't push too hard as it's easy to round the edge off.

hoodoo hones are great for in the field when you don't have a nice worktop handy.

there's not much more to it than that.

cheers, and.

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
At present I dont know I am making arrangements with the maker now - cost will be around the £40 - £60 mark (roughly the same as they sell for in NZ), depending on what I get stung for by the lovely tax man this end - but I can't see it being more than that.

As with all my stuff I'll try to keep the cost as low as possible after all thats why I set up the trading post!! :pack: .

Sargey - is there pictures of these blocks or a link?

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
I think Svord make a simple little folder as well don't they?
I remember someone raving about the steel in it on another forum.
Any pic's of the sheath Gary?

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
They do Rapid - a very simple but very effective looking thing caled a peasant knife - but as I dont recommend folders for bushcraft I will not be stocking them.

Interesting to hear their steel has a good reputation though just goes to add to my esteem of the tool. :biggthump

Sheath picture - I will put up a picture of both knife and sheath if and when I decide to sell them on my web site mate, but I dont think this is the place for me to be pushing them certain people hassle Tony about that sort of thing. Sorry. :?:

Anybody who is interested can pm me or go via Bearclaw of course. :wink:

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
Wasn't thinking of a folder for bushcraft ,just remembered a discussion on another forum and had considered one as a collector.
RB

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
I made a pair of HOODOO hones this weeekend, sanding blocks with closed cell foam from a old sleeping mat glued on, AND I AM VERY IMPRESSED! I also made a strop from an old piece of sole leather - very hard but for a convex edge its perfect. :)

Overall - I am now a Convex convert I have even ground my SAK main blade into a convex. Sharpening is easy as its little more than stropping the edge although there is a definate knack to doing it right. The edge is so robust, after so many years of flat grind, i cant beleive how long it lasts and what it will do - I even chopped through a thicker than wrist thick seasoned oak branch this morning and it didnt do a thing to the edge on the svord.

Now I just need to await the North Star! :super:

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
welcome aboard mate, you do realise you have just branded youself heretic, you wil be hunted down by the establishment and exterminated!

i recently got my hands on some sexy new technology for convex edges. trials are ongoing.

cheers, and.

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Heretic - sounds about right, but I am sure you all know me by now I'm not one to toe the line just because..... If it works it works!

Really what? Secret stuff or can you spill the beans?

leon-1

Nice looking knives Gary, the knife handle is reminiscent of a kitchen knife (not a bad thing as you use these with wet greasy hands) and the blade looks a little like an old super swede that i had (also not a bad thing as this was one of the best knives for the amount of use that it had that I have ever had). :wave:

Danzo

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 8, 2004
Close to Sherwood
Hi folks

Glad you like the knife Gary. I've just got back from New Zealand yesterday with a few 'Svords'; a couple of deluxe drop points with native wood handles and brass fittings, an economy skinner and several peasant folders. All are pretty impressive and I'll post up some pics here and over on www.britishblades.com when I can, but I'm back in work today, which after a thirty hour flight with a six month old is fun........... :shock:

The Svords are quite difficult to get in New Zealand stores as they are all pretty much handmade and are often ordered direct.

I may have a couple to sell but I need to sleep first before I can think........

Danzo

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Danzo,

PM AWAITNG YOU ON BB.

I have it all sorted with Bryan now mate I am just awaitng the first batch to arrive and clear customs!

Danzo

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 8, 2004
Close to Sherwood
Hi Gary

I can't log on to BB at work so I'll pick it up this evening if I'm awake!

I think these will sell well here and probably over on BB as well. The deluxe models are awesome pieces of kit and the peasant folders are very functional and good value.

:biggthump

Danzo

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Gary, i like the sound of this. Convex is great but difficult to repair if gets damaged, unlike flat grinds. I would agree with you though that Convex performs just as well as flat grind when slicing wood.
As for sharpening convexes the only answer has to be the starkie sharp!!

If i repair the highland would i have to grind it down on the stones?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE