Svord knives.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Well Jason as sargey would say - welcome to the club!

Got my Sharkie sharp today - excellent, good tip there Jake. :biggthump

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
For those who don't know what a "Starkie" is........
403_0387_1.jpg

RB

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
once you've got magic paste, you can just rub it on the inside of your belt, and you'll always have a loaded strop! worked a treat on the abo course last year!

the secret squirrel sharpening device is actually a case of some multinational mega-corp' robbing the little guys ideas. 3M are attempting to circumvent hoodoo's northwoods knifeworks hoodoo hone patents, by applying a diamond coated film to a very firm sponge. the end result is a widget that looks like a kitchen scouring pad, but is an outrageously aggressive, ultralight knife sharpening thing. the finest one is probably all you'll ever need.

no100.jpg

google for 3m diamond hand laps

cheers, and.

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
but after all that, my favourite sharpening device is still a slice of cornflake box on a mousemat with some autosol.

cheers, and.

jason01

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 24, 2003
I have a big piece of 5/6mm vegetable tanned hide thats really too thick for sheaths, I cut a generously sized strop from that and I used a very sharp bench plane to resurface the back side of it, will fit metal loops each end when I get round to it so that I can tension it against a hook in a wall or whatever. At the moment I just pop one end in the vice and load it with Autosol which works well. Wet and dry on a mouse mat for the earlier stages. Couldnt be much simpler or easier.

Jason

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Someone asked about the sheath for the svord - heres a picture of it compliments of Danzo on BB!!

116knife0009-med.jpg

Hope that has helped answer that question!

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
BTW why is it called a "skinner"? It puts me off when knives call themeselves "skinners". Makes me feel they arent up for wood tasks, a better name would be a "woodsman"!

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Its not called a skinner outside NZ and OZ - they are officially sold by Svord as drop points to me.

May be the skinner title is a reflection on NZ and Australian hunting traditions either way it doesnt detract from their hand made quality.

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
On BB gallery with Danzo's picture its called a skinner. How is yours facing up Gary?

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Danzo got his in NZ ..............

Mine is doing well - excellent for butchering game and carving. Feather sticks are a little awkward for some reason but I'd just make arctic ones and be done with it if pushed for a fire. I used a Garry block to polish off the bluing and once the metal stained it looks excellent - still reminds me of a fur trade trade knife - and the Mahogony scales have gone quite dark now which give them a bit of extra character.

And like you I dinked the edge too - I used a GB ice hockey puck and ground it out like I would an axe edge - worked a treat. And she loves your sharkie sharp too

Over all very impressed.

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
I like the way the starkie has become "mine" :eek:):

I was suprised as to how easy it was to fix the dent in my Highland. Alan hasnt replied yet, he must be away.

Whats an Arctic feather stick?

Cheers,

Jake

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Temperate feather sticks are curly ended sticks about 12 inches long - in the arctic wood is at a premium so there they shave the feathers into groups and then loop off the whole collection of curls and stack these to catch the thermal column of the fire - 1 stick is all thats needed as they use the whole stick to make curls.

Its not as pretty a technique as the feathers sticks we all practise but when your teeth are chattering and your wearing mittens its a darn site more practical and just as effective!

And I stand corrected on the skinner drop point thing - just checked the website - they are two different knives, Skinner as per danzo's picture has a slightly up swept butchers tip hence its name The drop point is as the name suggests a drop point

svord.jpg

However the sheath which they both come in is still the same as pictured.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE