Cheap Felling Axe project

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Aristotle

Forager
Jan 13, 2010
NW England
53513895775_2dd2a405b9_w.jpg

This started off as a very cheap hickory handled Silverline felling axe.

I have improved the blade profile and put a better edge on it, sanded and oiled the handle and made a simple leather handle protector.

I will be making a leather blade cover for it.

It will be interesting to find out how good it is to use in the woods.

Aristotle

Forager
Jan 13, 2010
NW England
There's nothing wrong with them at all. Despite all the vintage axes I have, I still occasionally use mine :)
I like trying to make something good/better.

I also have a smaller boys/forest axe that was originally from Aldi. I did something similar with that one, but also replaced the damaged original handle with a nicer hickory one.

It now has a good profile and edge. It works well -I have felled trees, chopped through large logs (just because I could), roots and split logs for firewood with the forest axe. It is a very useful size and the handle is good to hold.

53514426507_89d15fce40_z.jpg

Reactions: Broch

Aristotle

Forager
Jan 13, 2010
NW England
I tested the axe at the weekend. We needed to move this fallen tree by hand and the chainsaw was out of action, so I cut it in half with the axe.

The wood was surprisingly hard, so I didn't quite cut the nice, neat wedge that I would have liked to have produced. The axe worked well (it was good for splitting a few smaller logs too)
I got quite a sweat on.

53556785010_31fa990a81_k.jpg
[/url]

Aristotle

Forager
Jan 13, 2010
NW England
The axe was put to good use this weekend on a winter scout camp.

It is a felling axe, but it is also very effective for splitting logs, including some very large sections of tree trunk.

It holds an edge well too.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE