Stitching Pony vs Stitching Clam

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
Anybody had any great success with the stitching pony (e.g. http://www.leprevo.co.uk/photos/lacing_pony.htm). I got one of these as a cheap alternative to a full sewing clam but haven't had great success with it yet. And before anyone suggests that I should have made my own, yes I know I could have done. :)

It's a bit fiddly to use and I find that it doesn't grip the leather that tightly, and that when it does so, I do get some surface marking on the leather. I guess I may want to sand down the top grips to make them a bit rounder or perhaps line the grip area with some scrap leather.

Any suggestions /comments?

Thanks

Geoff

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
They take a bit of getting used to..Ive lined the jaws on mine with leather(flesh side out)and also it has a strap and stirrup added so i can apply more pressure on the clamp.This pulls it all up tight.
*edit*i use the clam,stands about waist height from bowstock supplies..)

Last edited:

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
I lined the jaws with leather on the one I use, and I use elastic bands to adjust the "grip" depending on the robustness of the piece I'm working on.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I've never done a job that I think could have been better if I'd used one.

I think a lot depends on how much work you're doing. I can understand a saddler or harness maker needing one but for the amount of work most of us do they are surplus to requirements.

Hands are all you need in my opinion.

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
This is what I'm thinking (i.e. do I really need it). It's one of those failings with learning from books. You do the study, read the recommendations, make a list of the fewest things that you can get away with, seeing you're just starting out, and buy those.

However, I'll try glueing some scrap leather into the jaws.

The big thing I've learned from this is contrary to the book I read. The book says to mark the holes in the leather, fit it into the clam, then punch holes with the awl. This doesn't work well for me, even with a very sharp awl, as the leather bends as I punch, so the holes go askew. Now I'm punching all the holes beforehand with the leather laid on a piece of cork.

Thanks for the comments so far.

Geoff

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I have a friend who is a saddler, and she says that the pony is only really of use for straps and holding pieces to fit the buckles and rings. Apparantly it's possible to get a better grip by heavily padding the outsides of the pony so that your thighs get a greater area to push against. Even rolled up towels work I'm told.

cheers,
Toddy

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
I made one but haven't really used it - I realised it was a little tall so cut it down and changed the way it clamps but not really had a chance to test it yet. I think it will be onto mk3 quickly though as I don't think I have enough 'throat' which I realised when I tried it breifly the other night....

Up to now I hand hold / support between my knees but this is only really possible as I awl the holes prior to stitching...... if you were to saddle stitch properly you would need something to clamp it firm as you awl each hole just prior to sewing.

oetzi

Settler
Apr 25, 2005
below Frankenstein castle
I use my homemade stitching pony (with leather on the clamps surfaces) in a vice or clamped directly to the table with one of those clamps one usews when glueing wood.
Only use it for larger projects, small items just dangle in the lap.
933ded48.jpg

Last edited:

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
I use one Warthog1981 made me

journal_35.jpg

It makes hand stitching so much easier I would rate it as one of the top pieces of kit for hand stitching.

For Leather journals etc it saves a huge amount of time. When I have made wet formed bags there are times you can't use the clamp and I need to balance the work between my legs or the like but it is so much slower and more awkward. Since I am using two hands for stitching and have not grown an extra one yet I definitely rate a stitching clam as a good investment.

You can see mine in use more here

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23987

and here

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46681

Also I use a quick clamp for applying tension and it is very flexible in that you can move it to different positions to allow for differently shaped pieces of work.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I would be lost without my "pony"...it realy speeds things up!
It is a DIY job and as ugly as sin - so no photos!
Mine is freestanding and I can sew away while watching telly :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE