Made a camp chair stand

  • The awesome MakerMoot is coming up (13-15th Nov 2026), Visit the TORM & ARM markets,and have space back at camp to work on projects and enjoy great company. PLEASE CLICK HERE for more information.

Amon81

Nomad
Mar 9, 2009
368
127
45
Birmingham
Yesterday I knocked up a support for my camping chair to stop it sinking, I've been using tennis balls on the feet since I first bought the chair a couple of years ago., They work great, but I want the space the 4 balls take up in my pack.

I made it out of some 600D canvas I had. No measuring, I just marked where the feet sit, drew a square and cut around it with enough to sew a hem.

iUuIPSd.jpg


That's the under side, you can see the diagonal where I sewed and glued on a piece to reinforce it.

2dar1iN.jpg


The top half, I sewed triangles for the legs to grip onto in each corner.

Yes I know my little cheap sewing machines tension was miles off, it was set to much thinner material, doesn't really matter as this will take a beating anyway.

hCyZche.jpg


Holds it tightly. I'm happy with it, it'll also easily fit in the bag with the chair, the balls wouldn't.

But today I saw I had enough off cuts of some 4oz a yard ripstop to try it out of that, so basically made the same thing again. Interesting if its strong enough.

cGv5iOW.jpg


azmqKNs.jpg


I used the button stitch to do a strong zig-zag stitch on each corner for extra strength as the 3 settings of zig-zags my machine has aren't as tight as the button setting.

ZXYxPQl.jpg


Rolls down to nothing too!
 
Update, Ive taken it on 3 camps since I made it. Its holding up and looks unused still.

H8LlSCn.jpg


iAzpiYM.jpg


xNi9q5p.jpg


Loving the 2021 Lanshan 2!
 
That was my first thought as well = a nice clean and dry place to put things that need to be kept clean and dry. I need one of those. The Fraser River valley bottom here is just about nothing but wet clay under a layer of pine needles.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Amon81 and MrEd
The oex brand make these for their chairs, with webbing on the corners.
I have been meaning to make one for my other chair for ages.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Amon81

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE