Lionsteel T5

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ANDYLASER

Nomad
Mar 27, 2004
SOUTHAMPTON
It has been a while since I last bought a knife and I have had my eye on one of these for some time. Anyway, I finally got round to ordering one. I purchased this from Lamnia in Finland. As it was under the UK Govt £135 import value, VAT was paid to the seller and no additional costs are accrued. Paying the VAT, takes the knife over £135 and it then qualifies for free postage. :) It arriverd with me in about 36 hours, which is pretty impressive. Overall cost was cheaper than any UK, or other European seller so a good deal and excellent service.

0Ihawdt.jpg

First impressions are a beautifully shaped and ground blade and weird looking scales. Rubbing your finger along the top edge, you notice the spine is microscopically proud of the textured micarta scales which are shaped & milled off the knife and then bolted on. The upper edge/outer corner of the textured scales are particularly noticable and I was expecting not to like the knife because of this. However, holding the knife in your hand, it all makes sense and feels exceptionally comfortable and provides excellent grip.

Iypa3yF.jpg

There is decent jimping in front of the handle, and in front of this a shallow cut out that is perfectly placed for your thumb if you prefer this style of grip. The weight is slightly towards the rear and the knife sits really well in the hand. The 128mm blade is Niolox stainless and superbly ground and has a slight satin finish. At 5mm thick its hefty enough for reasonably heavy work, but the high grind makes the blade reasonably thin and very usable. The edge is sharp and easily removes arm hair. I suspect it will easily de-limb large mammals as well if required and can likely be battoned through some quite hefty pieces of wood without breaking a sweat (or anything else for that matter).

08Uxe5x.jpg

pm94zfB.jpg

The leather sheath is very well made. It has double rows of stitching and an integral belt loop. Unusually, it also has MOLLE fitting to the rear if you need to attach it to a pack, or bag. The knife fits snugly and is quite tight. I expect as the leather wears to the shape of the knife, it will fit a little easier.

MVezYTi.jpg

I expect this knife will handle any tasks asked of it and doesnt look overly tactical like some of the Amertican offerings, but still "slightly tactical" enough for those who like that kind of thing. Additionally, its also reserved enough not to annoy any overly sensitive types. It makes a good alternative to the offerings from Fallkniven.

oN3EEbJ.jpg

If I have to find something wrong, then for my hand, the finger groove at the bottom of the handle is a bit too curved for my preference and I may sand it down slightly to make slightly flatter and a better fit for me. If thats it, the overall thats pretty good going. It appears our friend Molletta has produced another superb knife. If you want a knife that will take some abuse and inspire confidence, then this is definitely one to seriously consider. :D

Last edited:

WittyUsername

Forager
Oct 21, 2020
Kent
Silly question, but is your sheath popper/button really difficult to close? I have the M5 in 3v steel, which is very similar, and I genuinely can’t snap the sheath shut.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Silly question, but is your sheath popper/button really difficult to close? I have the M5 in 3v steel, which is very similar, and I genuinely can’t snap the sheath shut.
I had a similar problem on the B41 bushcraft. A little careful trimming of the leather wrapping the handle that the keeper strap must reach around, and wetting and stretching the keeper strap solved the problem for me.521D650A-393E-4A53-B3CB-5E7F836F7222.jpeg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE