stainless steel mugs

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
I'm still wondering what type of titanium they use for this stuff ... it seems pretty soft to me and if I compare the spoon I've got to Ti alloys I've got and seen, it certainly seems pretty soft in comparison. Taking a peek though some stores and catalogs I've seeing the word "aircraft" grade Ti mentioned (which is normally Ti 6Al4V or Ti 6Al6V2Sn) - looking at the price, hardness and poor thermal conductivity of this stuff I really doubt that it is "aircraft" grade at all and fear that this is just a repeat of the "surgical" steel thing - marketing driven advertising!

Here is an interestig chart I found on the MSR site:

http://www.msrcorp.com/cookware/cookware_chart.htm

Notice how the Ti stuff gets a lot of 1-stars ... :?:

More questions than answers!

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
By multifuel, what fuels do you mean? Petrol?

meths, hexy blocks and greenheat gak.

can't remember how much it all weighs, practically 50 grams. :cool:

i hope to do a how to the weekend.

cheers, and.

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
I was in the lakes for the weekend, and popped into Ambleside - the mecca of outdoor supplies! Every outdoor shop i could think of within a hundred yards !
Anyway field and Trek had the Snowpeak reduced by £5 and it looks like a nice kit (for a gas type burner), and comes with a little mug that looks ideal for a brew up.
http://www.fieldandtrek.com/ft1/pro...&mscssid=F6B97GS9GCB88LVPJUTGF03ERN7X87JB
IMHO It may be suitable for bushcraft is placed directly in the fire, but no good hung over it, as it is tall and thin, so has a small surface area on the bottom to receive heat. Making it ideal for the small stove heat source. But for cooking on a fire a larger diameter - short fat type of pan is better.
This titanium kit is lovely but completely unnecessary unless you plan an everest expedition. So anyone know for a cheap SINGLE SKIN stainless mug ? I don't own a NATO water bottle, so don't require a crusader.
My ali pans that i have had since i was 12 are still going strong, and came with wire handles to suspend them. So no need to replace them.
And as a sweet little teapot for yer "green tea" in stainless as requested, i liked this one
http://www.fieldandtrek.com/ft1/pro...&mscssid=F6B97GS9GCB88LVPJUTGF03ERN7X87JB
it may be cheaper wearing a Seagull badge tho.
Cheers
Rich :cool:

Raz

Nomad
Sep 3, 2003
all over
Hey Rich,
As an alternative to the crusader, I use the american steel mug.
They run for £5. They fit in the british hexi mug holder with 1cm gap at the front, and have a bigger flat bottom, which is more stable and better for over/on fires. I manage to stuff enough tea/coffee and noodles in it for a whole day out, and could almost shove it in a pocket.

If anyone's interested, Oswald Bailey's are haveing a sale at the mo, and they're doing buy one insulated stainless mug, get one free. They look to be solid mugs and come with a removable rubber coaster and a lid as well. The BOGOF mugs are about £4.95. They also have others including a stainless flask mug with a lid that actually seals so you could carry it in your pack and it shouldn't leak :rolleyes:

TwoFourAlpha

Tenderfoot
Dec 18, 2004
Manchester
If I could just add my tuppennyworth, a few people have noted the advantage of Ti mugs- you can take them from the stove to the lips.

Sorry if I'm missing something here, but if I'm brewing up, when my mug (crusader, stainless, 11 yrs old and still going strong ) boils, the last thing I want to do is put it to my lips. Normally, I pour my water into the plastic mug ( '58, natch ) , and get on with cooking the meal.

When I boil up a brew in the mug, it takes longer for the brew to cool enough to drink than it does for the mug to be cool enough to put to my lips.

Why should the fact that you can't take the can directly off the stove and drink from it be an issue, when I would have thought everyone here would be at least bringing all their water to a boil for hygiene's sake?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE