The awful little Sierra Cup

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
I bought Sierra Cups for my wife, two sons and myself in 1974 when we did a road trip from Florida to California and back camping all the way. Mine has been in my pack and in constant use ever since. Madame has hers tucked away somewhere think, but I have never known her use it. She has a bone china mug protected inside a metal pot which depite my misgivings has remained intact, including its handle for several years. I noticed younger son's cup hanging in his camper van last year.

I noticed a wikipedia article on the Sierra Club Cup recently and looked it up. In this article it is referred to as an awful little cup and its shortcomings are listed. They are justified but I have a sentimental attachment to mine because of the length of time I have had it and the places its has been with me. If I lost it would I replace it? No. There are far better mugs on the market now.

I just got to wondering if anyone else has, or has had, a Sierra Cup and what you think of it. Mine, by the way, is not the Sierra Club Cup, but a stainless steel clone.

I'd also be interested to know if anyone else has a favourite cup, noggin, kuksa, mug etc which they hang on to despite rather than because of its attributes.

Reactions: Minotaur

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
I had an enamel cup that I used for camping with my parents and my boy scouts for decades.

Fortunately I met in a hostel in Lyon
-already on my way home- a poor Mexican guy who had no camping equipment but obviously needed it and I gifted to him my entire kitchen stuff, CampingGaz lamp and stove, German army mess kit, spoon and the enamel cup.

I know that my father would have done the same, so I don't feel guilty in any way. Stuff is just stuff.
Out of sight - out of mind!
A christian mindset is far more important to me.

I bought later another German army mess kit, but I knew that before of course. And I already owned a lighter gas stove.

While writing that I drink my coffee from a current issue French army stainless steel mug. Formidable !

Last edited:

Kadushu

If Carlsberg made grumpy people...
Jul 29, 2014
Kent
A late friend gave me a novelty insulated mug that looked like a camera lens. I didn't care for the way a hot drink took forever to cool to a drinkable temperature so one day I smashed off the plastic BS to get at the stainless steel cup inside. That's how I used it for several years and it conveniently fitted the cup holder in my van, unlike the cup that came with my flask. It now holds plant labels and looks completely nondescript but I know its history.

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
Toaks titanium 550ml mug.
I'm not that hot for titanium but I love the pure, clean efficiency of it. 70g of pot, handles and lid in the rawest form. Enough for a portion of ramen, or big gulp of hot tea in the winter, also plenty for a rehydrated meal. Will fit 100g canister of gas and BRS titanium stove for a 100g cook kit that fits in my pocket, perfection.

Most times lives in my bigger 1.2l pot as a support vessel but for a day hike it's perfect. I also use it dayly on my desk as my favorite cup so I feel outdoorsy when I work.

5b80527d7c2b8-Toaks550ml-Titanium-Pot-Mug-Review-JPG-713f202000aa15bdb75081707e6695a7.jpg
[/url]

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Had one. To me it’s so small they are handy to take and because of the size just useful. You always pack it or I did till someone borrowed it and I didn’t get it back. Treat my crusader mug with the same value. Won’t go anyway with out it.

Last edited:

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
As a child also used a cream coloured enamel cup which belonged to my parents. It was massive and on boy brigade camps others complained I got more of a share of hot chocolate. Wish I knew what happened to it.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
Never had one however like the design however it looks like a packing nightmare.
I use either size of those folding plastic cups.

I had an enamel cup that I used for camping with my parents and my boy scouts for decades.
I loved those mugs! With a cord wrapped handle.

As a child also used a cream coloured enamel cup which belonged to my parents. It was massive and on boy brigade camps others complained I got more of a share of hot chocolate. Wish I knew what happened to it.
You had to buy the biggest one you could find! I got complaints about mine!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE