stainless steel mugs

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
The tefoln coated handle was a left over bit from a project to make pot handles for the MOD teflon coated crusader cup

I have no idea where you would get the coating done now

another nice feature is the handle on the lid locks in the upright position so that it does not fall flat whilst cooking

the kettle/cup holds a gas canister and a MSR pocket rocket stove when not in use

i prefure the look of the snowpeak stuff though better value for money and there stoves have pizo igniters

I'll try to put a picture up

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
I have been looking for proper mug/bowl from a while and have been looked at the crusader type mugs but looking at the trek 700 it seems a far more versitile peice or kit.

Put all do I have still to here back from Snow Peak I am not a aware of a dealer here(not suprising really you can't get a bivvy bag here in Dublin let alone a crusader mug :-( ) so I was wonder if I get one from the net would it hold any other mini stove and gas canister? For example an MSR Rocket Pocket (again I speculating that I will find a retailer for MSR here, but I hope you understand what I am asking) :-?

James

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
The msr kettle that stuart has has dropped in price in the states and can be picked up on sale for about $35 (about £19 or so) at many online stores. Bargin!!!

Ed

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Personally speaking I still like the metal mug/waterbottle combo.

58 pattern and Crusader works well although I prefer the one qrt canteen and mug which is thineer than the crusader and as such lighter. They boil quicker and are cheap!

Having said that why carry a mug at all if your using a swedish army mess kit?

TAHAWK

Nomad
Jan 9, 2004
Ohio, U.S.A.
One characteristic of titanium is that it conducts heat very poorly. Good for aircraft wings, but think about that characteristic when selecting pots to cook (transfer heat to food). Prabably great for keeping hot tea from burning the lips due to same characteristic.

EdS

So guy which one should I go for the MSR titainium kettle or the snow peak. Which pores best?

Which would be best on an open fire?

Actually, what I'm really after is a small tea pot to make green tea in. i was thinking of getting a proper Japanese iron one but there about £40. Its got to be metal as someone in our household,& its not me broke my last pot - and she doesn't even drink green tea (hence wanting a single person one).

So I thought why not get one of the above and kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
For anyone looking for stainless rather than titanium cookware, Seagull brand bowls and stackable, single skin mugs are now being sold under the lifeventure / lifesystems label. Seagul make the stainless steel range sold by MSR. it's strong stuff without being too heavy. Will certainly go on a fire if needed. Look to pay somewhere between 4 and 6 pounds each for a mug or a bowl. A little less than the identical product with the MSR badge.
Cheers

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
Oh, and by the way, anyone who'se comfortable buying from the states might find http://www.mickiesplace.com/index.htm worth a look. They stock a good range of MSR and Snow peak, including the titanium stuff. Selling direct and through e-bay. Payment by CC.

I've no connection with them but they've been doing some killer deals on the thermarest ultralight and guidelite mattresses. My first order went fine and I've just placed a second order - two 3/4 length guidelites for not much over £50 delivered.

Cheers

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
don't know how it happened, but have a couple of set ups very similar to hoodoo's, great minds eh? :wink: :cool:

What I would love is a mug that has handles on the side for drinking from, a swing handle that can suspend it over a fire and a lid. Does such a thing exist?

what you're looking for is a "mucket" or corn boiler, according to those in the know, it's quite a classic bit of kit stateside.
3013.h4.gif

as soon as i pluck up enough courage, i'll make a couple of holes in the trek 900 main pot and make a bail with the handle from the frying pan :yikes: then i'll have a high tech version!

a selection of mugs mostly stowed for transport: stainless steel and titanium are better as you can cook in them and then drink out of them. aluminium mugs are just too hot. if the lip of the mug gets heated by flames, just pour a bit of cold water over it and you're ready to drink, no need to muck about with plastic rims or bits of tape on the lip of your mug. that sort of thing is only for "jubby dinlos"
sargey_mugs-transport.jpg

left to right: cheapo s/steel thin and light mug, local army surplus shop, £2:50. s/steel measuring jug, £6, tescos. snow peak 600 titanium mug, twenty something, snow and rock. USGI army water bottle and rare mug with "L" handle, small fortune, don't know where you'd get one. :cool: snow peak 900, top bit of kit!

the same mugs: note the snowpeak 600 on home made ultralight multifuel trangia clone :cool:

sargey_mugs-ready.jpg

cheers, and.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Cool.... show & tell :wink: :lol:

Just taken delivery (yesterday) of my nice new SnowPeak Trek 700, what a great bit of kit...

t7001.jpg
t7002.jpg

...you get the mesh bag, but you have to supply your own spork, stove and fuel cannisters.

It's designed so it all packs neatly into a single package. Inside the pot goes the stove and another fuel cannister.

t7003.jpg

The lid serves to reduce boil times & lifts right off, so you're basically left with a large mug. The slot in the lid is for holding the spork in place during carriage & draining pasta or rice or whatever, and there is a thumb lug for holding the lid on, a sort of a handle - it works very well.

t7004.jpg

With a crusader for scale, the capacity is about the same as a crusader...

t7005.jpg

bushblade

Nomad
Jul 5, 2003
West Yorkshire
www.bushblade.co.uk
alick said:
Oh, and by the way, anyone who'se comfortable buying from the states might find http://www.mickiesplace.com/index.htm worth a look. They stock a good range of MSR and Snow peak, including the titanium stuff. Selling direct and through e-bay. Payment by CC.

I've no connection with them but they've been doing some killer deals on the thermarest ultralight and guidelite mattresses. My first order went fine and I've just placed a second order - two 3/4 length guidelites for not much over £50 delivered.

Cheers

You can get most of the old thermarests pretty cheap over here at the moment too, I think the guidlite 3/4 is down £40 in store at our place at the mo. Cascade designs (thermarest) have recently changed the whole range of mats they do so old models are going cheap.

PC2K

Settler
Oct 31, 2003
The Netherlands, Delft
i had this idea of making a removable bail for the track 900, using a spring like closure you find on cake shape's and jars. Somehow i can;t seem to find one of those wich are usably..... thats a bit annoying, now i got the track 900 and a staniless billy which are almost the same size...

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Anyone tried putting equal volume of water in a Crusader and a Ti mug and heat them on the same stove to see which boils fastest? I have worries about the thermal conductivity on Ti and that overall it will be less efficient.

Can someone put me out of my misery!!!! :shock:

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Not tried it with Titanium mugs but I did try it with a crusader and a US mug - the 1 qrt mug won hands down this I feel is due to the thickness of steel on the crusader.

The titanium mugs I've seen are quiet thin skinned and I would there fore conclude that they would boil much quicker too - with the obvious advantages in fuel and time saved etc.

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
The titanium kettles/cups also have the advantage of having lids to keep the heat in and therefore wll boil faster than a standard crusader.

:)
Ed

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Gary said:
The titanium mugs I've seen are quiet thin skinned and I would there fore conclude that they would boil much quicker too - with the obvious advantages in fuel and time saved etc.

Instinctively, that's what I thought but then I pulled up the data sheet for titanium that shows that it has a thermal conductivity that is ten times less than that of aluminium and about 15 times less than copper. This means that as a rough comparison a mug or pan made of Ti would need much more heat than one of the same thickness made of Al. However, as you say, Ti stuff is a lot thinner, however, I'm still curious as to whether in order to carry a lighter Ti mug or pot you'd have to carry more fuel to heat up the contents with. Add to that my worries about what it's like with weaker heat sources such as a hexy stove ...

An experiment is in order!

SquirrelBoy

Nomad
Feb 1, 2004
UK
Also has anyone noticed how quickly these mugs conduct heat away. I hate it when you`ve gone to all the trouble to make a cuppa and the next minute the things gone cold :roll:

I have a crusader cup and its probably down to the size of it - more surface area to loose heat. Mr Mears mentions somewhere, and have seen him using a crusader with a lid - anyone seen one? - home made design perhaps ??

So that might be a good experiment, set up various mugs of tea and measure how quickly they cool...

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
That's the flipside of high thermal conductivity ... it carries away the heat of your drink quickly.

I wonder if the ideal setup would be a thin copper-bottomed mug with Ti sides :-D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE