St Georges Day

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
Here it is, what coverage is there none, do we celebrate, no.

Who thinks this should be a national holiday and celebrated for what it is and stands for.:headbang::headbang::headbang:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Ahhh you'll have people complaining now. Its okay for the Scots, Welsh and Irish to have a sense of national identity, but if the English do they get accused of tribalism, racism and all sorts.

I'm with you by the way - it should be an English National holiday :)

Manacles

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
No longer active on BCUK
I think it should be a national holiday. It has always struck me as ironic that St Patricks day gets more coverage. All the world's nations should celebrate their national days in my opinion.

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Totally agree with the above, except the St George's cross has now been adopted as some racist symbol and it takes a lot to shake that tarring with the same brush.

National holiday - yes!

Having an A4 plastic flag flapping on my car roof attached to the door seal - no!

Long Live England! (the country NOT the football team, or the nazis)

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
In our town today, lots of little events. But was shocked to find a stall giving out free Qurans and Islamic propaganda!

Whittler Kev

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
Last Sunday from 6am to 7pm, March closed the centre of town and had a gala.
Best of all Hot dogs were £1.20 or speciality £1.50 and Kiddy fairground rides £1 each (and they lasted a far amount of time as well). Hat's off to our council and other organisers

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
I'm half Welsh/half Irish and agree with Samuel Johnson on the subject of patriotism ("the last refuge of a scoundrel.") I neither celebrate St David's Day nor St. Patrick's Day, BUT - if it gets me a day off work it gets my vote!:)

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...Its okay for the Scots, Welsh and Irish to have a sense of national identity..."

Do the Scottish celebrate St. Andrews day? In my childhood home Burns night and Hogmany were the only days of note that I remember.

:dunno:

Hungary has three national days each year, lots of flags and everyone is on holiday (almost).

:)

Last edited:

Jacknife

Forager
Aug 27, 2005
Somerset
Not much to celebrate these days. Perhaps we should hold a wake in memory of what we once were.

Last edited:

Radix lecti

Native
Jan 15, 2006
Gloucester
I have a St George cross flag flying all year round on a flagpole in my garden. No i am not a racist or football fan ,just patriotic,and yes i agree with what others say make St Georges day a national holiday.

WoodMan

Forager
Jan 18, 2008
Norfolk
Whenever I have to fill in a survey or similar, I always tick 'other white' then when asked for details say English. Most people don't get it and think that I'm just being awkward or racist. The irony is that I've worked with many people from other races, both in their countries and mine, and all of them are proud of their heritage (even the septics with only a couple of hundred years behind them! (the chubby white ones that is!)) and those that I have worked with would have been happy to stand next to anyone who is willing to speak up for their own people and way of life. Glyn.

Settler
Aug 8, 2010
here
ehm... reckon you're making more of this than is necessary. st andrews day passes pretty much un-noticed and the only reason st patricks day is so famous/popular is due to the excessive drinking.

so the moral of the story is if you want it to be popular you need to dye your pints white with a red cross and keep drinking them till pink explodes from every orifice.

also theres no national holiday - for st andrew day anyway.

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains
In our town today, lots of little events. But was shocked to find a stall giving out free Qurans and Islamic propaganda!

Yes Its great that we live in a free country where we are all aloud to express our views on our national day. It one of the many things that make me proud to be British

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
I'm lucky, my birthday is St Andrews day, so I do celebrate it each year. Hic..

What do patron saints stand for exactly?

khimbar

Nomad
Jan 5, 2005
birmingham uk
Birmingham put on a massive free mini-festi. A groovy little folk band, followed by Beatles and Bowie tribute bands, finished with an orchestral ensemble. And oodles of little stalls celebrating English food etc.

It's not ignored everywhere. :D :cool: :D

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
St David's day isn't a holiday in Wales, and pretty much all everyone does is wear a plastic daffodil to work, and maybe talk about how we used to be good at rugby.

No problems with St George's day being celebrated though. Why not? I think having a national day is a good thing, but there's not much chance of it being made a holiday.

Personally, i always know when St george's day is, because it reminds me to look for the mushrooms of the same name. :)

Happy St George's day to Englishmen everywhere (and I hope we beat you at rugby next year :rolleyes:)

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland

Were there any stalls giving out free Bibles and Christian propaganda? :)

I don't think a National day is a bad idea, most countries seem to have one, although it isn't always the day of the patron saint of that country, Bastille Day for instance.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE