St Georges Day

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Settler
Aug 8, 2010
here
Were there any stalls giving out free Bibles and Christian propaganda? :)

I don't think a National day is a bad idea, most countries seem to have one, although it isn't always the day of the patron saint of that country, Bastille Day for instance.

we should have one of those

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
We should have an International World Day, where the whole planet takes a day off to celebrate that we are all the same people, with the same hopes, dramas and grievances. When that day comes, our species will really have achieved something incredible.

filcon

"Neo-eisimeileachd ALBA"
Dec 1, 2005
Strathclyde
Happy St Georges day folks, go and celebrate yourselves in whichever way you want. Never mind the negative asspects relating or surrounding your patron saint, you,ve every right to express your culture. We celebrate St Andrews day and I,ve been known to celebrate Paddies, and if I was with an Englishman today I,d celebrate with you.
Never mind the zeros, go celebrate your national historical hero.
cheers
phil

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Happy St Georges day folks, go and celebrate yourselves in whichever way you want. Never mind the negative asspects relating or surrounding your patron saint, you,ve every right to express your culture. We celebrate St Andrews day and I,ve been known to celebrate Paddies, and if I was with an Englishman today I,d celebrate with you.
Never mind the zeros, go celebrate your national historical hero.
cheers
phil

Hurrah. .

Ben Trout

Nomad
Feb 19, 2006
Wiltshire, GB
Just got back from a one night Camp to celebrate St Georges day. Yesterday they made bullroarers, with varying success. Today they built a pioneering tower and the thirteen Scouts and three of the leaders renewed our promises a metre and a half off the ground. I've lost track of what District is doing for St Georges day, but it seemed like a good excuse to do our own thing. :)

Strange, but the Saltire on my truck disappeared early this morning and was replaced by some tatty white dishcloth with red lines on it, don't know what that was all about!

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Happy St George's Day! I couldn't celebrate my own national holiday (Independence Day) without recongnizing that most of our traditions came from the original British and Spanish colonists. Your culture is larger than can be contained and has influenced the world. Good and bad it's true but mostly for the better.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
... in all seriousness though, and I have this same conversation with folks that don't even know it's St Georges Day... the only people to blame for it not being recognised in the same way as other National Days such as St Paddy's etc... is unfortunately, the English.

Us patriotic English are in the minority compared to others like Scotland, Ireland, U.S. etc. And that is truly sad.

Last edited:

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
Don't leave the celebration arrangements to others, cos that's what everyone else does.....hence no celebration. get out there and give it some lads. Happy St. Georges day, whenever they decide to hold it that is. Up here not many folks know or even care about St Andrews day, we are more for Burns night so I reckon we should make hime the national mascot or patron saint...........mare drink please innkeep!!!!

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
We should have an International World Day, where the whole planet takes a day off to celebrate that we are all the same people, with the same hopes, dramas and grievances. When that day comes, our species will really have achieved something incredible.

I vote for that day in December 2012...:fishing:

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I for one will be sticking a massive St George Flag (made in China of course) on my Japanese car, then celebrating the life of a Roman soldier who was born in Turkey to a Palestinian mother before slaying a crocodile, later dying and being entombed in Israel and made the patron saint of such places as Aragon, Catalonia, England, Ethiopia, Georgia, Greece, Lithuania, Palestine, Portugal, and Russia, as well as the cities of Amersfoort, Beirut, Bteghrine, Cáceres, Ferrara, Freiburg, Genoa, Ljubljana, Gozo, Pomorie, Qormi, Lod and Moscow.

A true symbol of Englishness (or Anglo or even Angles, a Germanic people originating in the north German peninsula of Angeln if you wish to take it back far enough) and anyone who argues about it is an unpatriotic ne'er do well.

On the other hand I might just rather celebrate the life of Barnes Wallis instead, at least he was English and pulled us out the crap.:)

On a slightly more serious note, the only problem I have with St George day is the sheer number of people whining like a jet turbine about people not celebrating it, sheesh, the only reason that St Patrick's day is so big is because Guinness promotes it to sell peeve.
Get on and do it and stop whining like gurls.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
I for one will be sticking a massive St George Flag (made in China of course) on my Japanese car, then celebrating the life of a Roman soldier who was born in Turkey to a Palestinian mother before slaying a crocodile, later dying and being entombed in Israel and made the patron saint of such places as Aragon, Catalonia, England, Ethiopia, Georgia, Greece, Lithuania, Palestine, Portugal, and Russia, as well as the cities of Amersfoort, Beirut, Bteghrine, Cáceres, Ferrara, Freiburg, Genoa, Ljubljana, Gozo, Pomorie, Qormi, Lod and Moscow.

A true symbol of Englishness (or Anglo or even Angles, a Germanic people originating in the north German peninsula of Angeln if you wish to take it back far enough) and anyone who argues about it is an unpatriotic ne'er do well.

On the other hand I might just rather celebrate the life of Barnes Wallis instead, at least he was English and pulled us out the crap.:)

On a slightly more serious note, the only problem I have with St George day is the sheer number of people whining like a jet turbine about people not celebrating it, sheesh, the only reason that St Patrick's day is so big is because Guinness promotes it to sell peeve.
Get on and do it and stop whining like gurls.

Now does my sig line not just emphasise that we're all brothers under the sun.
By a guid Scots land born in Ayrshire mind...:lmao:

Black, white, yellow, pink or dynamite,
I really couldn't give a s...e.

I love yoush all....

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Only the English could name a palastinian born, Roman soldier as a patron saint.....

Well, to be fair only us and the people of Aragon, Catalonia, Ethiopia, Georgia, Greece, Lithuania, Palestine, Portugal, and Russia, as well as the cities of Amersfoort, Beirut, Bteghrine, Cáceres, Ferrara, Freiburg, Genoa, Ljubljana, Gozo, Pomorie, Qormi, Lod and Moscow:)

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Well, to be fair only us and the people of Aragon, Catalonia, Ethiopia, Georgia, Greece, Lithuania, Palestine, Portugal, and Russia, as well as the cities of Amersfoort, Beirut, Bteghrine, Cáceres, Ferrara, Freiburg, Genoa, Ljubljana, Gozo, Pomorie, Qormi, Lod and Moscow:)

What, they all have palestinian born, roman soldiers for their patron saints ?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE