Spoon Gouge / Crooked Knife-Where are they available?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nod

Forager
Oct 10, 2003
Land of the Angles
Hello All,

Its that time of year again, where Xmas lists are being requested by my nearest and dearest. One of the things I would like is a spoon gouge.

I saw one on RM's site, but at £40 quid, it's a bit expensive. I did however, see one for £20 on another bushcraft/outdoors site, but didn't make a note of the URL address. :oops:

Has anyone come across any on line stores that sell such items please. I hope you can help.

p.s I searched the forum and have already checked out Footprint tools as mentioned in an earlier post.

boaty

Nomad
Sep 29, 2003
Bradford, W. Yorks
www.comp.brad.ac.uk

ESpy

Settler
Aug 28, 2003
Hampshire
www.britishblades.com
Not necessarily easier - I used diamond stones for the outside edge, a ceramic rod to remove the wire edge off the back, then I polished the edge with a powerstrop (compressed, stacked leather disc on a mandrel, treated with polishing compound).

Keeps its edge quite well, however.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Well, any more, I've become real partial to hoof knives made by Frosts. The only problem is that the cutlers rivets have a tendency to loosen up under the hard use of carving wood. However, these can be easily replaced with bolts or brass rod and then epoxied. Here's a link to a noggin I carved using a Frosts double edged hoof knife which is my favorite.

http://www4.gvsu.edu/triert/bpack/nh/noggin.htm

Here's a pic of a couple in the middle of being modified by replacing the rivets with bolts.

stepdrili1.jpg

And here's a pic of a way to modify the handle and blade of a hoof knife, depending on how you want to use it (this one was made in the middle east and cost about $5).

crooked4.jpg

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
Try Woodlandcraft Supplies, the service is excellent (ring him up, put an old fashioned cheque in the post, two days later on your doormat). Mora Crook Knives £9.95 (varoius sizes) and lots of other tools besides.
I have a lovely Lansky system with all the various grades of diamond hones, the guy at Woodlandcraft, in the true spirit of Mors Kochanski, reccomends carpet tape, dowelling and emery cloth, which prompted me to dig out my sharpening boards and in a few minutes I remembered that "simplicity is truly the key to all things".
Neil1

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE