So you think you are English

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Are you English?

[video=youtube;j617mImHVvk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j617mImHVvk&feature=related[/video]

Last edited by a moderator:

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
I thought this was common knowledge. Sadly, I don't think the migration period is one that's much taught in schools today.

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
"Saxons killed or booted out between 50 and 100% of the Britons in what is now England"

In the main those Saxons were Angles. Angleterre ~ Angleland ~ England. Anglish ~ English. It's got stuff all to do with who was here first or 'who is more British'. The clue is in the name, you just haven't thought it through
2002-sept-al-murray.jpg

English, yes and proud of it.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
A name of Irish (or Morroccan) origin, a Scotish Mother, traced my ancesters to N Wales in the C16th, born in the Parish of Eton overlooking Windsor Castle, brought up in Hereford and Belgium, lived in Wales for 30+ years...never realy thought of myself as one of the "johny come lately" English...just "British" !
Dammit - the English are Germanics who speak a bastardised form of French/German not a good "Celtic" tongue....:)

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I've been teaching kids that for years, must have been a no news day.

My surname is of Germanic decent but could be either Saxon or Viking, so no great surprises there either.

This is why I find racist bigots so laughably pathetic, a recent study showed that most of them are "academic low achievers" and that's clear to see when they blether on about being British. Most of them haven't a clue what that really means.

Britain is an island nation that has been strengthened by wave after wave of immigration through history. You've only got to check out our national favourite foods to understand the way this has enriched our culture, but it's also written in our language too.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Norman French. If'n you ever go to Le Mont-Saint-Michel, and climb to the High Abby, you'll see our family coat of arms. Go to Liverpool and we have a street named after a family member. Owned 33000 acres of land in Lancashire, 2000 staff and a village too. Saw off Owen Glendower, when he tried to take Caernarfon Castle. (Was paid handsomely for that with 5000 acres of land) stood alongside Henry V at Agincourt. High Sheriff of Lancashire six time and Lord Mayor of Liverpool. We may not be English but when there was English “history” in the making we were there, a kicking a gouging and a plundering,
Robber Barons Rule!!!

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Britain is an island nation that has been strengthened by wave after wave of immigration through history.

Well said.

I too was surprised at this no news item, after all "England" means "land of the Angles" it would have been a surprise if the genetics had shown otherwise.

I am pleased this thread has not turned into a "Welsh are better than English because we are genetically more pure" type thread, good to know folk here re better than that and I enjoyed the entertaining Yorkshire deviation.

The English samples were taken from known Anglo Saxon heartland, would have been more interesting if they had sampled other areas such as Devon. I presume they checked folk had lived there several generations not moved to Wales 3 years ago.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE