You are going on a 3 day trip and have to stay UK legal so what do you carry?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
You are going on a 3 day trip and have to stay UK legal so what do you carry?
Also what can you not do that you would normally do?

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Not sure the type of answer you are looking for but as you've posted in the edged tools and specified the UK then I think the only sensible answer you will get is a range of ' UK Legal knives' that won't get anyone into trouble.

Herman30

Native
Aug 30, 2015
Finland
But (as I understand it) a reasonable excuse is not just in case you need to cut a sausage or cheese etc.

If I were to travel to UK I would not take any knife other than what would be considered to be an eating utensil. Like this set:
primus-field-cutlery-kit-2.jpg

With this I would be able to eat food bought from a food store or market.

But how about shaving? I use a safety razor with razor blades. I hope that would be legal.
gillette-kcg-double-edge-safety-how-to-assemble__52737.1611672511.jpg

Last edited:

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
I shall have my folding, locking, 10cm blade Opinel #12 in an accessories bag, in my rucksack (and in my car when I’m not pitched.)
It will be accompanied by a lot of camping gear.
1. I do not expect to be stopped.
2. Should I be so then I expect that a polite and reasonable discussion will have me on my way still equipped with my knife..
3. In the highly improbable event that my knife is confiscated then I’ll buy another one perfectly legally.

Reactions: Toots

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
But (as I understand it) a reasonable excuse is not just in case you need to cut a sausage or cheese etc.
Camping and camp chores are a reasonable excuse especially if accompanied with your other camping gear.

Pattree you will be fine with your Opinel

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Bring whatever knife you think that you really might need (if any) that you can get through the airport.

I don’t carry any knife at all when I holiday (self catering or hotel) here in UK and I’ve never wished that I did have one.

gg012

Sep 23, 2022
SE
I do struggle with these types of threads sometimes. You can carry any knife you want, except those expressly described as offensive weapons, as long as you can prove a genuine need for it. I always have some sort of knife in my pocket, even in London, and just make sure that what I am carrying suits the occasion.

In this context I would pack a SAK, a 4" fixed blade and a saw. The fixed blade and saw would be in my rucksack with other camping bits and the SAK would be in my pocket

Sent from underground

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
As you don't say where you are going and what you will be doing, it is difficult to give an answer.

A long weekend at a rave would get you a completely different answer to 3 days wild camping and hiking across Rannoch moor for example.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE